Strong Mayoral Government in Little Rock

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You'll be able to vote for a strong mayoral government in Little Rock this August. It is going on the ballot. A LOT of people have asked for this... It was a major recommendation in the Vision LR initiative. We'll see how much LR really wants change.

This should be its own topic. I don't believe he'll be able to hire/fire the city manager, which I like. I'm not sure how I feel about the ability to veto. However, it is time we officially had a full-time mayor, even though Dailey really was full-time regardless of pay. I tend to favor the city manager form of government, but I came from a municipal family in a smaller town. I got to see how disruptive it can be when there is no consistent leadership or when some whacko with no understanding of municipal governing gets elected.

I agree, maybe Architect can move these over and make it a topic.

In the last decade I've seen Dailey struggle to make things happen in LR while Hays has done wonders for NLR. I think we still need a city manager to oversee day to day details of running the "business" of a large city government but a strong mayor will help land new employers and encourage development. I will support this.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't understand exactly how a strong mayor would be more effective at landing employers and new development. What advantage would the strong mayor system have over the current system? It seems to me that the weak mayor that is full-time could spend more time in the type endeavors you mention when he isn't burdened with the extra responsibility a strong-mayor has.

• 1 month later...
It passed by a very wide margin as expected. Finally there is a position in city government where the buck will stop at. This is a very good thing for the city of Little Rock. Next Little Rock and North Little Rock need to work together on trying to remerge...

The telling thing about yesterday's election is the deep division between blacks and whites, as illustrated in today's Demozette. The AT Blog has posted the results by precinct which further reveal a serious problem for our city. Why is this so?

I believe it was published that there was/is concern that City Manager, Bruce Moore (first african-american city manager in LR history) would be fired by Mayor Stodola once he had the authority to do so.

Actually Moore is not the first, Mahlon Martin was a highly sucessful and popular city manager. Martin was also Director of the Dept. of Finance & Administration under Bill Clinton and was the Executive Director of the Rockefeller Foundation when he died in the 1990s. Next time you're by the Clinton Library notice that the street on the west side is named for Martin.

I think the issue of Moore being fired was a red herring.

I'm sure Messrs Moore and Stodola will make for a fine team.

These comments about how we recently landed some new employers prior to the change in government are seemingly misplaced. Everyone can cite numerous good things that have happened in LR over the past few years and numerous less than positive things that have happened. (Jails/crime anybody?) The simple fact is that public service accountability is established through elections. And with the new mayoral structure, we have that and it's more focused with a central figure. Now we can have a mayor whom is both empowered and accountable. And he can work with the city manager to makes things happen. This would seem to be a benefit to all taxpayers.

• 1 year later...

Archived