NE Richland and sprawl

krazeeboi

I find this article to be a bit amusing. Now that residents in burgeoning NE Richland are truly paying the price for sprawl, some of them appear to be surprised when the bill arrives in the mail, figuratively speaking.

Here are some interesting statistics. The one I found most interesting is that the population estimate of NE Richland, including incorporated municipalities like Blythewood, is roughly 100K.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12040 new residences at an average of 2.58 people per household equals approximate population growth of 31063 in 6 years - that is crazy growth. Let's say 7 years since all of those homes approved haven't finished being constructed yet. This is only one quadrant of the county and growth downtown is strong as well as in NW Richland and in parts of Lower Richland. I have a feeling the 2010 census will show much stronger countywide growth than the population estimates have shown. SW Kershaw County is also growing like crazy as is the area around the town of Lexington and the town of Chapin in Lexington County.

That's 31,000 people who moved into the NE alone. You're right, think about the Northwest and Lower Richland which is growing like crazy as well, anybody think the county will be a little below 400,000

Oh, here's another article from today about the NE wanting to incorporate....Here and Richland County's 2020 plan here

There is also something about water service in Northeast Cola and how the city should annex more into the NE

Wow, for the next 12 months until they finish they are going to cut the growth in half...They should have planned better years ago so this area wouldn't be having water shortages.

If the builders can't get one of the 1200 taps the article said they'll probably look at Lexington County. I wonder if this will fuel the growth in Southeast Columbia since that has been a hot spot and builders may choose that area now?

I think you are right. :good: The south east will probably be the next hot spot for growth, :shok: which in my opinion is permissable. Hopefully when that begins to take place at a greater rate than it already is the city will have enough sense to plan ahead for the strain it will cause on resources. :unsure:

This is a day late and a dollar short strategy. But I suppose it falls into the "better late then never" category.

I think this might also push some growth out towards Kershaw County, which has been heating up the past few years anyway. At least they sound like they're proactive about growth.

264-LexGrowth_td017.standalone.prod_affiliate.74.JPG

Here is an article about Lexington topping the Northeast in building permits in 2006 (mainly because Blythewood is not included in the census track of the Northeast), but they talk about the Lexington area trying to learn from Northeast mistakes to plan better for growth.

Here are the top 10 areas for housing construction in 2006 in Richland, Lexington, Newberry and Fairfield counties, according to a report on building permits by the Central Midlands Council of Governments:

1. Lexington 2,103 units

1,468 single-family

635 multifamily

2. Northeast Richland 1,776 units

1,188 single-family

588 multifamily

3. Blythewood 1,019 units

911 single-family

108 multifamily

4. South Columbia 614 units

308 single-family

306 multifamily

5. Dentsville 495 units

51 single-family

444 multifamily

6. Irmo 483 units

All single-family

7. South Richland/Williams-Brice Stadium 457 units

17 single-family

440 multifamily

8. Chapin 290 units

All single-family

9. Gilbert 256 units

178 single-family

78 multifamily

10. West Columbia/Cayce 222 units

40 single-family

182 multifamily

I believe parts of Kershaw County are already in Columbia's urban area. Entire counties don't get added, just those portions that meet a certain population density threshold.

Also, I'm not sure if we discussed this article here. One of the best points it brings up is the need for joint city-county planning. Too many times, both entities just aren't on the same page, which will prove to be even more problematic on down the road.

Archived