The Dash Downtown Ballpark

cityboi

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Besides this new project....I hope that the ballpark/ west end neighborhood buildings will have some height to them. They dont have to be huge but at least two 10-20 story buildings to add to the skyline and to make it longer.....giving downtown a larger appearance and to help bring a downtown feel to this mostly neighborhood-ish area. These buildings bould possibly be a hotel or two with a apartment or condo building. I just want them to make a statement not only to the street level but also from a distance.

Today's Winston-Salem journal has a big spread on the downtown ballpark and hints at some possible new development surrounding the ballpark site. The article makes mention of a proposed restaurant in the stadium that will be open year around but what is even more interesting is that there are potentially plans for a hotel and movie theater in the later phases!! :thumbsup: Granted we're still only at the speculation stage but it seems that some of the proposed development around the stadium may finally be coming together. Let's hope we hear some more definite plans later!

http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2008/au...park-to-h/?news

http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2008/au...k-basebal/?news

I can't emphasize enough how much surrounding the ballpark with parking lots truly ruins the design and is a suburban, anti-downtown move.

I think looking at long range plans, those parking lots will probabally be replaced with buildings (retail, office, residential, ect) Maybe even another mid-rise overlooking left field. Then they would have to build a parking deck for stadium parking. I do wonder though if that 6-story building will partially block views of Winston-Salem's skyline for some spectators.

The parking lots could be scraped in the future; although where would folks from the surrounding area park? With the proximity to 4th St, I can't wait to meet folks for a beer and then stroll over and watch some ball.

Yes, I reported on the parking lots back in December. Joe Bellissimo confirmed that the gravel lots (a very cheap and ugly temporary solution) will be removed once construction starts on the second phase. Parking will be moved to decks that will border Business 40.

Yes, I reported on the parking lots back in December. Joe Bellissimo confirmed that the gravel lots (a very cheap and ugly temporary solution) will be removed once construction starts on the second phase. Parking will be moved to decks that will border Business 40.

Thats what I figured because im sure the land immediately surrounding the ballpark can be put to better use than parking lots.

it does appear that way. Wachovia Center could be blocked from view.

Looking at the slide show and how that building is to set on the lot, it looks as if most spectators will still have a impressive view of the skyline from the stadium. The effected seats look mainly to be right next to the office building, and those individuals would be orientated towards home plate. Besides, downtown is just a backdrop for the action everyone should be paying attention to, THE BASEBALL GAME!! :lol:

It confused me a little when Prim kept emphasizing that the new park would add to the skyline when complete. i guess this is what he had in mind the whole time? the park's office building has grown since the last rendering was released.

2722861809_f7bc168949_o.jpg

looks like 6 stories?

I noticed that some of Prim's earlier renderings had a blank, white spot where the new midrise is. I thought something would be built on top of that eventually. What happened to our "grand" scoreboard we were promised?!? It appears it got replaced. <_<

I noticed that some of Prim's earlier renderings had a blank, white spot where the new midrise is. I thought something would be buult on top of that eventually. What happened to our "grand" scoreboard we were promised?!? It appears it got replaced. <_<
The scoreboard was already addressed from WSTB.

re. scoreboard, they're up to some interesting tricks. Apparently, the entire wrap-around wall is going to be electronic. I wonder about the effect of flyballs on LCD's but they claim it is a proven tech. Essentially a massive graphic canvas for advertising and stuff.

They also promise a large screen for instant replays. From what they've told me, I don't think you need to worry about the 'look and feel' being minor league... really seems they're reaching for a very upscale aesthetic.

Dissapointing, looks more surburban than I originally envisioned. Too far from the downtown core.

It is not far from the core. It is right on the western edge of downtown. Acutally it looks pretty grand when you drive by on business 40. They have most of the steel work up and in place. It amazes me of what some people think looks suburban compared to urban. This ballfield is totally urban in design and is going to be an great asset to downtown Winston Salem.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived