The Dash Downtown Ballpark

cityboi

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

I took these photos on 9-6 at the viewing area at 4th and Green. its obvious that Prim wants people to stop and look.

2836030795_0467aa0bfd_b.jpg

2836035091_b4f5a76afa_b.jpg

2836882590_d2b032bd6b_b.jpg

2836878572_11fc5afb2a_b.jpg

future Park Place condos

A $4 million dollar project that will include 6 upscale condos and first floor retail space. The condos will have two-and three- bedrooms in the two-story brick building at 1022 W. First St.

http://triad.bizjournals.com/triad/stories...22/story10.html

2836861724_0a8af1857c_b.jpg

Developers have announced they are in the design stage for a $17 million dollar upscale apartment complex near the new ballpark. The location is at Brookstown and Burke Street on 1.83 acres formerly occupied by Graybar and Fritts Motor Co.

Kerry Avant and Thad Lewallen of Winston-Salem and Mike Cooke of Greensboro, who will develop the project under ALC Brookstown LLC, say they expect to start construction at the first of the year and complete the complex by early spring 2010.

Tentatively named the village at westend, the complex would contain 136 units ranging from 1-3 bedrooms and 700 to 1200 square feet in size. The complex would also have a business center, clubhouse, exercise room and rooftop pool. The units would feature hardwood floors, solid surface countertops, and ceramic tiled baths. The buildings will be 4 stories in height.

There is debate on whether the W-S rental market can absorb more upper end rentals as many higher end rental communities are having to offer free rent or other perks to fill vacancies in the downturning national economy.

No renderings yet guys..

Read the W-S Journal article here.

More information on the condo project at 1022 W. First, there will be six condos on two stories ranging in price from $899,000 to $1.3 million. The average size will be 1500 sq ft. There are plans for a coffee shop and ground level retail, but that may be done away with. The project is supposed to start in three months.

Read about it here.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Jeff and Susan MacIntosh, a couple who have restored 14 houses in the Holly Avenue, West End, Sunnyside, and West Salem neighborhoods over the past 25 years; have proposed a project to save the houses marked for demolition across from the new baseball stadium. Their plan is to move the houses over to vacant lots the city owns in the Salem Pointe development. They have plans to move 6 to 9 of the houses.

The West Salem Neighborhood Assoc. seems to be supportive of the idea and the developer of the Stadium would sell the structures to the macIntosh's for $1. There would still be negotiations with the city, stadium developer, and neighborhood Associations to make this happen.

The MacIntosh's are walking away from this project, citing a $50K expense to move utility poles on Apple St. They say this would negate any chance to make a profit on the structures. It was believed they could move the houses without having to move utility poles (an expense of $5k each, with a total of 10 to be moved.) I'm guessing they would have that expense for each house?

Anyway, I truly hate to see these houses all get torn down.

WSJ article about Ballpark Houses.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't mind the name "The Dash", but I don't care for the mascot at all... looks very late 70's/early 80's Saturday morning cartoonish. We should have much better.. like an action hero who's lightening fast! Yeah, that's it..

I'm concerned about the expansion plans, this is not a good market to be trying to find an additional $16 million dollars in financing. I feel he'll be coming to the city with his hands out begging for it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

the stadium is so far behind. it probably wont open until summer. No steel rising for One Ballpark Center yet?

I'm afraid not. :(

Update 1-21-09

3298288582_d1798cfcdb_b.jpg

You can see the statement this makes on Peters Creek Parkway:

3298293230_54bff0bf44_b.jpg

3298298114_a59325fc64_b.jpg

3297475821_e61d7f092c_b.jpg

I believe this is one of the finest structures to built in our city since the start of White Flight. Quality materials, classic architecture, and vision equals an "A" in my book! :good:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sources say the ballpark likely wont be ready for the 2009 season due to ongoing buyout negotiations. If the park is not complete by March 2010, the city could sue Brookstown Development Partners for the $12 million incentive package given towards construction.

http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2009/ma...no-winner/news/

This process should have been planned well long before construction even started. Now everyones hopes have been dashed, no pun intended, for this stadium opening this year and it looks like the city of Winston-Salem could sue the team owners if this stadium is not opened by march 2010. What a mess. They better do something quick because the Journal reported that game attendance has dropped dramatically and that on one recent sunday there were fewer than 300 fans. One guy on the Journal said it wont be long before they'll be calling this stadium Kudzu Park.

"Construction on the stadium, which is being built at Peters Creek Parkway and First Street, is all but at a standstill -- crews have not been there in weeks. Subcontractors have told the Winston-Salem Journal that they have had difficulties getting paid for their work"

This process should have been planned well long before construction even started. Now everyones hopes have been dashed, no pun intended, for this stadium opening this year and it looks like the city of Winston-Salem could sue the team owners if this stadium is not opened by march 2010. What a mess. They better do something quick because the Journal reported that game attendance has dropped dramatically and that on one recent sunday there were fewer than 300 fans. One guy on the Journal said it wont be long before they'll be calling this stadium Kudzu Park.

"Construction on the stadium, which is being built at Peters Creek Parkway and First Street, is all but at a standstill -- crews have not been there in weeks. Subcontractors have told the Winston-Salem Journal that they have had difficulties getting paid for their work"

That pun WAS intended. Nice try :lol:

The beautiful design keeps me patient concerning the opening date. If it opens next year...thats fine. I still think it will be worth the wait...thats if plans arent scaled back. It will be "...the best" as stated by Prim.

Archived