The Dash Downtown Ballpark

cityboi

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whoa whoa whoa! Are you telling me the Prim is worth millions? Multimillions?

If he is, why isn't he financing this himself?

Indeed, I think that's what everybody is scratching their heads about. I have no idea, but it sounds like he doesn't want to dip into his own personal accounts to finish this off (even though it could definitely be done). I guess if you're a millionaire, why not have the public finance part of it if there's a chance that they will?

The Forsyth County Republican Party is protesting the new deal at City Hall starting in just 23 minutes.. 4:30pm.

Read about it here.

Why don't they put their money where their mouth is and put up a challenger to Mayor Joines? I love how they do nothing but talk, yet when the opportunity is there they back down. :rolleyes:

Why don't they put their money where their mouth is and put up a challenger to Mayor Joines? I love how they do nothing but talk, yet when the opportunity is there they back down. :rolleyes:

I got to drive by City Hall after the meeting had started and saw NO protestors. There was a line leading into the building of about 30-40 people. The Journal states the protest was sparsely attended. Mayor Joines announced at the beginning of the meeting that NO VOTE will be taken tonight.

I got to drive by City Hall after the meeting had started and saw NO protestors. There was a line leading into the building of about 30-40 people. The Journal states the protest was sparsely attended. Mayor Joines announced at the beginning of the meeting that NO VOTE will be taken tonight.

I think even though the vote on this has been delayed, the ultimate outcome will be the same. The city will chip in the extra money. And I don't necessarily oppose that. But before the city commits any more money to this project, they need to figure out where all of the rest of it went first. A doubling of the cost of the stadium is outrageous, especially when you consider that construction materials and contracts have decreased dramatically because of the recession. Residents deserve to know what happened so it doesn't repeat.

I've also looked over some of the materials provided by the city concerning this funding request and if I were a WS taxpayer, I'd be concerned about the city's protections if future problems occur. I know that on the land adjacent to the stadium that the city is purchasing, it is the second lienholder and its lien is subordinate to Regent's bank. I can only imagine that there are other portions of this project where private creditors are ahead of the city.

Anyway, I'm rooting for the stadium.

I don't understand how the cost ballooned to $45 million when it was supposed to be $23 million. The city made its agreement based on the $23 million. My only guess is that Prim kept adding stuff to the project knowing that the cost would rise.

^ you nailed it citiboi... many, many change orders and a builder that just saw change orders as dollar signs.

i watched the proceedings last night on channel 13 and heard a gazillion versions of how the larger economic crisis caught everybody off guard and how the failing economy derailed great plans... but not a peep on why this stadium's costs are so high and why similar, now-operating stadiums costs are half of those of our non-operational hole in the dirt.

I watched the meeting as well and I heard numerous times how this was caused by the bottoming out of the banking industry but nothing about why the project cost had escalated so much. I don't know if at this point it is possible to scale some things back but that would be the responsible thing to do. If you are going to give money it should go to just what is necessary to complete the stadium not every luxury and add-on. The city will vote for it though and I guess in their eyes if we are going to piss tax payers off might as well give them what they need to complete everything.

look like one man was so angry at the meeting he ended up getting arrested

http://www.news-record.com/content/2009/06...m_money_request

While I was approaching the media entrance, I saw this man cursing and antagonizing people waiting to get in. He later refused to leave the property when the police asked him too. Alcohol was definitely a factor.

Beany, I respectfully disagree. If they're going to give the money, they might as well do it right. Now, if it is extra flashy add-ons that won't increase attendance numbers then that is a different story.

^^ cityboi no telling where your pictures will show up next!

Well tonight may be the big vote. I think the vote will pass and hopefully that will work out to be the best decision. The positives to this are the stadium can be completed, may give someone a paycheck who otherwise wouldn't have one right now, and maybe this will promote some more downtown development. The real cost to taxpayers will hopefully be zero but if this does come back on the city the amount should be small. Short-term I do not see a problem with averaging 4,000 fans. Really, with a new stadium they should average 5,000 plus.

LOL my photos have showed up at quite of few places. But I agree that when the stadium is built attendance will dramatically go up as in all cities that build stadiums. I think the problem most people have is this whole process but this project needs to be finished. I guess its a lot like taking castor oil to get better. No body likes the process of doing this but most want to see the final results.

• 1 month later...

I think this is the right move as well. Since city taxpayers are dishing out so much for this project, it should belong to them. Its also a good move because it gets Billy Prim out of the picture in terms of stadium ownership. A lot of people are pretty upset with Prim. We are finally seeing some light here.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived