PARK ON DOWNTOWN GREENSBORO BY MR. RAY

GIBBS, PRESIDENT, GREENSBORO DOWNTOWN

PARTNERSHIP.

6:00 p.m. TOUR OF BALLPARK EXTERIOR WITH ARTHUR

SAMET, PRESIDENT OF SAMET CORPORATION,

BUILDER OF FIRST HORIZON PARK.

6:45 p.m. DRIVING TOUR OF NEW DOWNTOWN

DEVELOPMENT.

7:00 p.m. RETURN TO WINSTON-SALEM CITY HALL.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder what this means...

from cityofws.org

AGENDA

Special Meeting of the City Council

May 3, 2006

5:00 p.m. City Hall

Travel to First Horizon Park, Greensboro, NC

Subsequent Tour of Downtown Greensboro

5:00 p.m. CALL TO ORDER

ROLL CALL

TRAVEL TO FIRST HORIZON PARK, 408

BELLEMEADE STREET, GREENSBORO, NC

5:30 p.m. PRESENTATION ON EFFECTS OF FIRST HORIZON

PARK ON DOWNTOWN GREENSBORO BY MR. RAY

GIBBS, PRESIDENT, GREENSBORO DOWNTOWN

PARTNERSHIP.

6:00 p.m. TOUR OF BALLPARK EXTERIOR WITH ARTHUR

SAMET, PRESIDENT OF SAMET CORPORATION,

BUILDER OF FIRST HORIZON PARK.

6:45 p.m. DRIVING TOUR OF NEW DOWNTOWN

DEVELOPMENT.

7:00 p.m. RETURN TO WINSTON-SALEM CITY HALL.

According to the Journal, they toured the downtown Greensboro ballpark yesterday. A result of this is serious study and planning for the potential development of a new ballpark near Green 40 and Peter's Creek along with $40 million dollars for residential and commercial development and a 8 million dollar parking deck. The project value should total around $70million. Stay tuned.

Article:Journal article about W-S city leaders tour of Greensboro ballpark

Let's hope they can make this work because it could extend the reach of downtown even farther into the Burke St/West End end of town. And, it could do a lot to facilitate additional town house/multifamily and mixed-use development as well as increase property values in the Holly Avenue and West Salem/Green Street area.

I would love to see the ballpark built closer to the core of downtown. It would be great if it were built so close, the stadium would be a part of Winston's skyline viewed from business 40. The curent proposed site is pretty far away from the skyscrapers. But I do understand the land is just not availble for a stadium that close in the core. However the proposed site would help redevloped a distressed area.

I would love to see the ballpark built closer to the core of downtown. It would be great if it were built so close, the stadium would be a part of Winston's skyline viewed from business 40. The curent proposed site is pretty far away from the skyscrapers. But I do understand the land is just not availble for a stadium that close in the core. However the proposed site would help redevloped a distressed area.

If the stadium was oriented so that the home plate area and by extension the bulk of the seating was on the western side of it, then the spectators view looking eastward would nearly be filled in with the downtown towers. The setback from the downtown core is actually where it should be so the towers would not be looming over the stadium but would be in place with the sky and horizon.

I like the location of this plan. It would redevelop a distressed piece of land and hopefully we could start to get some more "desirable" businesses on Peter's Creek Northside leading into the development. This would need to be done because I don't think anyone want's Strip clubs and drug ridden hotels/empty businesses leading upto a new shining baseball stadium.

This would be great if it also help develop Peter's Creek North into a desirable feeder into downtown.

Me to I wish it could be like Charlotte bobcats arena I love how close It is to the Buildings.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

updates

sources say the parties are almost there to making a deal...about 90%

-WFU offers to buy city owned Ernie Shore Field for $ 5 mil. this money could be used by the city to help pay for their part of the deal.

$70 mil ballpark development specifics:

- Samet is the general contractor for the stadium(same as Greensboro's)

- residential and retail is planned, but no office. Prim wanted to bring the Blue Rhino HQ to downtown but recently announced plans to relocate to north Winston

- $ 20 mil stadium architects are now narrowed down to four.

- 14 screen movie theater planned.

we should have a detailed article any day now with more info.

• 1 month later...

project is up to $170 million!

Satellite.jpg

im assuming thats because offices are now back in the plan!!! i do wonder though...why? Prim just announced that Blue Rhino is heading to north Wnston. Primo is in the Park building and im sure he signed a multi-year lease. the office market isnt strong enough for spec space yet. maybe he has a tenant lined up?

so the ballpark is now topping civic plaza by $20 million! we need a formal announcement very soon. we've been waiting too long for this project to break ground and by judging from the list of features, this should be THE spot for downtown.

back to the price tag. $100 mil increase? that sounds about right for the once proposed mid-rise. actually thats about right for a nice high-rise. *let me stop wishing...*

http://journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pa...s=1037645509099

I really want to see this come a reality!! Not only will it be another entryway into Downtown but I hope it will help revitalize North Peters Creek Parkway and we can get some "higher level" commercial development along this corridor. This stretch of Peter's Creek used to be one of the premier commercial corridors in W-S in the 60's and 70's. Not to mention that it should help the surrounding neighborhoods revitalize!

This is really great, and it can't start soon enough for me, especially with the expanded project, and at least the hint of maybe the restoration of the 14 story tower. Not to put a neagtive to it, but one wonders why only a capacity of 5,500. Just for comparison (no other reason), Horizon in Greensboro seats 7,499. One would think that Mr. Prim would want a stadium that could be upgraded to AA or hey even AAA. Maybe, it will be designed to be expandable?

This is really great, and it can't start soon enough for me, especially with the expanded project, and at least the hint of maybe the restoration of the 14 story tower. Not to put a neagtive to it, but one wonders why only a capacity of 5,500. Just for comparison (no other reason), Horizon in Greensboro seats 7,499. One would think that Mr. Prim would want a stadium that could be upgraded to AA or hey even AAA. Maybe, it will be designed to be expandable?

I think one reason could be the fact the attendance in Greensboro has just about been always higher than the warthogs. However a new downtown stadium would cause atendance to shoot up like it did in Greensboro. First Horizon Park is designed to expand to AAA so im guessing Winston's park may likely be expandable too. Anyways this is great for the downtown area. The only thing is I wish the stadium would be built closer to the core of downtown near the towers.

The only thing is I wish the stadium would be built closer to the core of downtown near the towers.

Why the desire the build this closer to the core of downtown? Wouldn't that require destroying a number of historic buildings on the north or east side which are ripe for redevelopment? Or, alternatively, take land from the PTRP? The PTRP site doesn't seem well suited for the development of nightlife...

The location that was selected for the ballpark should encourage development of the fourth street corridor (from the Nissen Building to the 4th and Broad Condos) and Broad Street.

• 4 weeks later...

Warthogs, city agree on terms for downtown stadium; venture to cost $170 million

The city and the owners of the Winston-Salem Warthogs have agreed upon the terms of a $170 million joint venture to build a new stadium and office-retail-residential complex on the western edge of downtown.

The project, three years in the making, includes a $22.6 million, 5,500-seat stadium for the Warthogs that could be open in time for the 2008 season if things worked right with construction.

The partnership between the city and Sports Menagerie, the entity that owns the Warthogs and which has Billy Prim and Andrew "Flip" Filipowski as its principal partners, calls for the city to spend $11 million and Sports Menagerie $11.6 million to build the stadium.

The city intends to finance its share of the $11 million but not have to use existing tax dollars. It said it would pay its share of the $1 million annual finance payments from several sources, including: annual payments by Wake Forest University, which will buy Ernie Shore Field; $350,000 in annual surcharges on tickets, a figure guaranteed by Sports Menagerie regardless of Warthogs attendance; additional tax payments on the 9-acre stadium site; and money from the city's economic development fund.

Likewise, Sports Menagerie is using a variety of finances, including private financing, federal grants, a loan from the non-profit Millennium Fund and other means to pay its share of the stadium.

The city and developers said the project would help boost the city's economy and revitalize the western edge of Winston-Salem's downtown, where nearby, the West End Village condominium complex already is under way.

A downtown stadium in Greensboro that opened in 2005 has more than doubled average attendance at games for its minor league team and helped boost downtown revitalization efforts.

Satellite.gifphoto_servlet.jpg

this is going to be HUGE for Winston!!!! :thumbsup: cant wait to see ground break and we still may get a 2008 completion date for the park. i imagine something this size will be built in phases?

im also excited to hear that Ernie Shore Field will not go to waste. maybe this will strengthen ties between deacon boulevard and the Reynolda campus.

Reading more about this project has just got me all giddy!!! :D The rendering looks fabulous, it looks like a bustling midtown type area right next to the ball park. This should lead to some great restaurant and club opportunities. Not to mention the live/work aspect they want to build in and the pedestrian feel of most of it (even though *sigh* there will be multiple parking areas.)

I can't wait for the '08 season for the Warthogs to begin!!

:yahoo:

Archived