The Dash Downtown Ballpark

cityboi

The County has submitted an offer of $12.5m and Prim has accepted the offer. (Of course there is still the public comment and actual vote but we know that is a formality at this point. The Project is going forward - Article below if the link continues to work...

Baseball in downtown Winston-Salem... land ittle cracktown is getting mowed down.

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellit...s=1037645509099

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The County has submitted an offer of $12.5m and Prim has accepted the offer. (Of course there is still the public comment and actual vote but we know that is a formality at this point. The Project is going forward

The county has finalized their incentive package of $12.5m, however their incentives will be for the mixed use developement. Public comment and vote to be MONDAY NIGHT MARCH 12TH AT 7:30 PM!!! The meetings are held in the County Commissioners Meeting Room on the fifth floor of the Forsyth County Government Center. The Government Center is located at 201 North Chestnut Street in downtown Winston-Salem. I'm sure they're will be citizens on both sides of the issue, but if you want you're voice heard, contact your Forsyth Co. Commissioner or plan on attending the meeting and sign up for public comment to let your position be known.

If this goes thru and Billy Primm agrees, we could see the new ballpark begin construction VERY SOON! :thumbsup:

WSJ Article about County offer and upcoming meeting.

• 3 weeks later...

^dont cry. lol this is a good thing. wouldnt you rather them build it right than rush it along just to meet a deadline. and at least construction is still scheduled to start this summer!

on the other hand, i dont see why Prim couldnt go ahead and build the movie theater/residential/retail since the park wont be ready until '09. reverse the phases.

• 2 weeks later...

some statements from http://winstonsalemmonthly.com/

- Prim wants plenty of playground equipment and entertainment areas for adults...a mix of First Horizon Park, West End Field in Greenville, South Carolina, and Durham Bulls Athletic Park

- Prim is already eying the chance to host the Atlantic Coast Conference baseball tournment and preliminary rounds of the College World Series.

- it appears that WSSU is now in talks with Wake Forest to share Ernie Shore

- The new ballpark should also aid in the downtown residential boom. According to DWSP, 38,364 people currently live downtown,

some statements from http://winstonsalemmonthly.com/

- Prim wants plenty of playground equipment and entertainment areas for adults...a mix of First Horizon Park, West End Field in Greenville, South Carolina, and Durham Bulls Athletic Park

- Prim is already eying the chance to host the Atlantic Coast Conference baseball tournment and preliminary rounds of the College World Series.

- it appears that WSSU is now in talks with Wake Forest to share Ernie Shore

- The new ballpark should also aid in the downtown residential boom. According to DWSP, 38,364 people currently live downtown,

I know Greensboro has been eyeing the ACC baseball tournament too, unfortunately for some reason or another the ACC recently seems to host at AAA stadiums and places like Fenway Park in Boston. I know the Triad is capable of successfully host the tournament so hopefully we will eventually get it. The ballpark will be a great asset for downtown Winston.

DWSP must be incuding residential numbers in a certain radius around downtown because no NC downtown (within central business district) has that many people. I think within the central business district in Charlotte, its around 8,000 to 10,000 people. im not sure on the exact figures.

The pop estimates area really hard to say...depends on what you include... Charlotte has more than 8 - 10k downtown though.. I can tell you that from just looking around. It may have 8-10k units downtown... far more people.... 1st ward alone has more than 10k people.

downtown winston has more than you would think... its just hard to say without setting boundaries... people have liv3ed downtown for years... I mentione this earlier... that with few exception the downtown housing boom is really adding housing to already inhgabitaed area... just higher end... its not pusing out affordable housing units (except those that are slowly being remodeled and increasing in price as a result)...

The HANA area... not huge... (certainly downtown... (broad street to spruce... between 1st street (and bus 40) and 4th street...)... Spring street alone has 21 residential structures... i would guess close to 100 residents... I can think of at least 6 apartment buildings in the area... they just don't get a lot of attention with all the new projects going on...but that doesn;t mean that people don't live there aleady... The old Y is almost always full with owners/tenants... The apartments at broad and 5th are pretty big and also almost always full...

• 1 month later...

The City-County Planning Board unanimously approved rezoning the land for the ballpark last night, even though there are very few specific details on the plans for the project. They are leaving the details for the Winston-Salem City Council. The biggest concerns seem to be noise from the site, a historic shotgun house on the property, and some way to preserve the historic nature of the area. (Forgive me here, but is anyone going to really miss the neighborhood that's being torn down? It's always been an eyesore and crime-ridden since I was a child.)

It's good to see this moving forward!

WSJ Article about Planning Board approving Stadium Rezoning.

(Forgive me here, but is anyone going to really miss the neighborhood that's being torn down? It's always been an eyesore and crime-ridden since I was a child.)

The only building that I'll miss is the Piedmont Opera Building on First and Green(?). It used to house this great bakery called Eglevsky's.

• 4 weeks later...

VERY IMPRESSIVE! Reminds me of Camden Yards. The larger upperdeck should give a better view of Winston's Skyline. The ballpark in Zebulon also has a large upperdeck. But im very stunned and this looks much better than the first rendering. looks like its going to be a pretty tall stadium. I wish the Warthogs and Grasshoppers were in the same league so they could play against one another. I believe this stadium will really help jumpstart the downtown nightlife the city deserves. Great Stadium!

here is Camden Yards

349pz_fs.jpg

Winston's Ballpark

Ballpark2.jpg

Camden Yards again - look like even the design detail is the same!

camden-yards.jpg

Classic stadium! It looks more like Camden Yards than Durham's Ballpark. Its almost identical on the outside, just smaller.

I imagine since there are close to 6,000 seats much of the seating would be on the upper deck like Five County Stadium in Zebulon based on the height of Winston's proposed ballpark. The grandstands would seem to be steep, that way spectators would get a clear view of Winston-Salem's skyline.

Five County Stadium (home of the Carolina Mudcats) seats about 6,000 people. The big upperdeck makes the stadium seem almost like a major league park. Technically its Raleigh's team but because the Durham Bulls owns much of the baseball market across the Raleigh area due to being a AAA team, this stadium had to be built in Zebulon which is literally in the middle of nowhere so im told.

FiveCounty5.JPG

FiveCountyFront.JPG

I can't wait for this project to get started... this is such an important project to downtown Winston I would have supported Winston-Salem doing it themselves (would have preferred it actually instead of letting someone else own what should be a city asset for 20 years)... The rendering looks great....

Archived