The Dash Downtown Ballpark

cityboi

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thats great to know. Some one should start a Winston-Salem ballpark website the way I did for Greensboro. BTW during Gboro's ballpark construction, my ballpark website, backed by Action Greensboro, was the official campaign website in support of the stadium. Maybe one of you guys here from Winston could start a downtown Winston-Salem ballpark website with renderings and show photos of the construction process the way I did. Trust me its alot of fun :P

• 4 weeks later...

Sketches in today's Journal look different from those presented at the groundbreaking a few weeks ago, and a lot less grand than those shown to the public at the first of the year (the overhead "Camden shot") and an earlier set still back in December 2006. I thought this thing was to be designed by a firm from Kansas City. Are they totally out of the loop now? CJMW are fine for filling it out, but I don't see the "vision thing" of a nationally known ballpark architect as orginally promised. Or is the difference between bland architect AutoCAD drawings and "artist's renderings"? I miss the oomph in presentation - I hope we won't miss the oomph on the ground! Someone make me feel better?

These I originally found posted tonight at http://winstonsalemskyscrapers.com/forum/v...c&start=405

More detail than in Journal, 360 from Kansas City still working with the group, and I like better the texture in the brick in these renderings which did not show clearly in the Journal today. I still like the design from earlier this year better - two toned, lighter brick, the parabolic curve of the home plate side's exterior was broken up by pronounced windowed and roofed extrusions, not just textures in the brick facade (sorry. I'm no architect so don't know the lingo LOL), and the roof covering was more intersesting. I wish details weren't so hard for the public (which is investing in this) to see.... The factory look (all brick) makes me thing of the Brickyard at NCSU in front of Harrelson Hall, and all one color brick - the factory look - works better if you are actually near factories - they aren't. Hopefully it should blend in with phase two's designs - does this mean phase two is to be all one color brick??? (Give me Edwardian banding in the brick at least!)

Still wonder about the water bottle - perched on the top and never mentioned to neighbors before now (wouldn't a fountain in front have said "water" with more style? ;) If stadium has naming rights, won't they be subsumed by the presence of a water bottle? Oh well...bring on phase two :)

warthogs_fullexterior.jpgwarthogs_morepicts3.jpg

Thought I would bump this project layout back-up that I had posted earlier.. it shows that Phase 2 is not addressed in yesterdays graphic. It does look like the parking area has been 're-arranged' and not as attractive as first presented and that their are areas that were to be buildings(?) that are now surface lots?!?

traffic2Enlarge.jpg

Archived