The Dash Downtown Ballpark

cityboi

I was under the impression that Phase 2 was the development next to the ballpark that included the movie theater, parking decks, and retail? We might be looking at 3 phases: Phase 1 - ballpark, Phase 2 - mixed-use next to ballpark, Phase 3 - retail village at the corner of First and Peters Creek. At the ballpark meeting I went to earlier this year, Bill Prim did say that there would be temporary surface lots until they pony up the money for the residential/retail phase.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This evening I went to the city/county planning meeting where the ballpark was being discussed, among other projects. Except for a few new renderings and tid-bits, there isn't much to report on. Here are some of the most noticeable things that were discussed:

- There will be two LED signs measuring 22 feet high by 200 square feet wide on Business 40 and Broad Street to display scores/advertisements. There would also be rooftop advertisements to give it a big city feel.

- The ballpark's inspiration was the Brookstown Inn. The exterior will look very similar to the Inn with the exact type of brick, windows, and architectural details.

- The parking lots you see in the above site plan are gravel. Most of the planning board disagreed with this and wished to see paved lots due to the dust that would arise from that large amount of gravel. Joe Bellissimo confirmed that the lots were temporary and would be developed as soon as possible. Many members said that they were worried that if the second phase didn't happen, the city would be stuck with an ugly gravel parking lot. Though one member brought up that in the terms and conditions of the incentives Billy Prim and Flip Filipowski received from the county, they must construct the second phase otherwise (I think) they would have to pay back the money.

- The ballpark will be designed so that people traveling on Peters Creek Parkway and Business 40 can look down and see the game.

- The owners/architects are highly considering installing electronic touch-screen ticketing machines in entrances of the ballpark.

- Peters Creek Parkway would be widened to five lanes. Isn't it five already?

- When the second phase mixed-use village gets constructed, it is highly probable that Peters Creek and First Street would be rerouted.

2106295673_3261e87ae4_b.jpg

2106313253_7967d31447_b.jpg

2106321481_65eebec035_b.jpg

LCD screen and Warthogs' offices:

2107107804_f2756be4e1_b.jpg

2107116310_e42bba5bcd_b.jpg

2107125742_1bace746e3_b.jpg

2107134274_39c84e75ef_b.jpg

2106364471_2eb8ea698d_b.jpg

Primo Water Bottle:

2106371043_d5643a3983_b.jpg

2107156886_da21369473_b.jpg

Entrance:

2106386485_7715f4a730_b.jpg

2106394129_3c550f8544_b.jpg

:w00t::thumbsup::D:good:

glad to hear the lots are definitely temporary

why so little feedback on the ballpark. this is big news people!

The media really needs to be promoting this. Ive notice this hasnt received as much media attention that Greensboro's ballpark received when it was under construction. This news is certainly worth being talked about alot in the media. The Triad will have a second top qaulity ballpark. Greensboro and Winston both chose the retro look but they are different styles. Winston's ballpark resembles Camden Yards more. Greensboro's is a cross between Brooklyn's Ebbets Field and ChurchHill Downs in Kentucky.

Winston's inspiration Camden Yards

100_0101.jpg

Greensboro's inspiration Ebetts Field

goffebb1.jpg

Instead of the news trucks being parked outside City Hall South, they were at the courthouse today covering the trial of local teacher. :rolleyes:

I am very impressed with the quality of this! I had my doubts that Billy could put something like this together, but I'm happy to say he proved me wrong.

I feel much better about this seeing these than I did with just the elevation graphics in the Journal. While I prefered the lighter two toned banding in the earlier brick to the darker here, the structure is made lighter by being see thru along the third and first base lines. And the water bottle here is not a looming monolith but just something else along a foul line and light and thin and no taller than the stadium lights.

I will share these drawings with neighbors - thanks for posting Jerseyboy. The late notice on the announced presentation kept many neighbors from viewing these yesterday, so I hope the Journal plays up these far better drawings.

I'm smiling again at possibilities.

• 1 month later...

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellit...s=1037645509099

The city has decided to hold back on their streetscape improvements for Broad Street due to the new ballpark's potential major traffic impact on local roads. Instead, city officials now plan to repave the road and leave out the median. They also plan to repave the Fourth, Fifth and Sixth street intersections with a special textured surface and add new crossing signals for pedestrians where needed. Sidewalks will be repaired, and the section will get new street lights and landscaping.

There will be a workshop from 4 to 6 p.m. Wednesday (1-30-08) in the auditorium of the Central Library. Transportation officials will be there to hear suggestions and answer questions about the project.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived