• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The New Ballpark and New Team

Speaker: Jon Spoelstra, president of Mandalay Baseball Properties

Jon is a well-respected marketing leader and is a demonstrated expert in increasing ticket sales. Get a sneak peek into the plans for Winston-Salem's new baseball team, and find out how the principles behind Jon's success in sports marketing can be applied to your own business. Reserve your table today!

Details:

Date: Jun 3, 2008 - Jun 3, 2008

Time: 12:30 pm - 02:00 pm

Address: MC Benton Convention Center

301 West 5th Street

North Main Hall

Winston-Salem, NC 27101

Cost: $11 individual seat; $88 for a table of 8

• 2 weeks later...

Piedmont Airlines and I were in downtown today and stopped by the ballpark. Steel has already been delivered to the site and they are in the process of putting it in place for the amenities tower. The seats bordering Peters Creek have been poured and feature a nice brick facade on the exterior portions. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera with me, but I did take some cell phone pics.

Update 6-11-08

2571093195_41b8ed536d_o.jpg

2571919266_d9bb24b1ba_o.jpg

2571919354_db47d9835b_o.jpg

Scott Sexton has an article on how he thinks this naming contest for the Warthogs is a sham. After reading it and seeing a quote from one of the principals at the marketing firm make me believe that Sexton is correct in saying the only name that has a chance is the 'Rhinos.' What a shame...

Scott Sexton Editorial

Jeff and Susan MacIntosh, a couple who have restored 14 houses in the Holly Avenue, West End, Sunnyside, and West Salem neighborhoods over the past 25 years; have proposed a project to save the houses marked for demolition across from the new baseball stadium. Their plan is to move the houses over to vacant lots the city owns in the Salem Pointe development. They have plans to move 6 to 9 of the houses.

The West Salem Neighborhood Assoc. seems to be supportive of the idea and the developer of the Stadium would sell the structures to the macIntosh's for $1. There would still be negotiations with the city, stadium developer, and neighborhood Associations to make this happen.

This would be great, IMO, as these houses are of an architectural style that can not be replaced and would fit well with the neighborhood planned for them to move to. It also would prevent the materials in the buildings from ending up in local landfills.

WSJ Article about Stadium Houses

One might jump to the conclusion that yadkinv would like Aviators for the name, but not so. In fact, yadkinv doesn't care for any of the choices, but agrees that it probably ought to be Rhinos (which I said on another forum was what it would be) because after all Prim's former highly successful company (before being purchased by Ferrellgas) was Blue Rhino, so why shouldn't Prim name the team that.

I don't believe there was ever a contest. My complaint about the Rhinos is the perception that Rhinos are clumsy and lumbering (although destroying anything their way).

I should prefer a more traditional baseball name such as Red Sox, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't get to see the ballpark construction on my trip last weekend, but I like this rendering, showing how it will fit into the city:

b640fda1992205614535d9d95771a27e.jpg

Questions... will the Warthogs simply move? Why change the team name? Is it A, AA, or AAA? How did W-S get around the close proximity to the Grasshoppers? I'd would be nice to see a baseball stadium in DT Raleigh, but the Bulls proximity in DT Durham prevented Raleigh from seeking a team of their own, thus the Carolina Mudcats, way out in the middle of nowhere in Zebulon (~15 miles E of Raleigh).

Q: Will the Warthogs simply move?

A: Yes, the Warthogs will move to their new stadium for the '09 season. Wake Forest is in the process of buying Ernie Shore Field (their old stadium) for their own baseball team.

Q: Why change the team name?

A: I suspect Billy Prim and Co. wants a fresh start (new stadium and new team). Greensboro changed the name of their team from the "Bats" to the "Grasshoppers" once their new stadium opened. It's a way to generate publicity and give the team a corporate face-lift until the new facility opens.

Q: Is it A, AA, or AAA?

A: The Warthogs are currently single High-A.

Q: How did W-S get around the close proximity to the Grasshoppers?

A: My only guess is that both teams were grandfathered in as they are both historic. Greensboro's team dates back to the early Twentieth Century while Winston's was created in the '40s. The regulations on the proximity of teams might not have been in place back then.

the city is asking the NC General Assembly for $1 million to go towards infrastructure improvements for the Brookstown mixed-use project. the goal is to enhance pedestrian and vehicular safety. total cost is $10.3 million. when built out, the $200 million investment is expected to create 1,000 full time jobs.

small condo development on 1st st

it looks to be 4-8 upscale (garden-style) condos and possibly ground floor retail/restaurant in an abandoned 2 story office building.

http://www.cityofws.org/Assets/CityOfWS/Do...t2008/w2996.pdf

This is good news! I think it shows the renaissance will be starting in this area thanks to the ballpark being constructed!

As twincity said, this is the site of a lowrise 2-story brick office building. I was surprised that Brookstown Development Partners didn't buy up these parcels along First for their retail/residential project. Great project and I look forward to hearing more specifics about it!

Archived