Will Augusta Mall become like The Riverchase Galleria in Birmingham

cyclingundertheson

With names such as Coldwater Creek,William Sanoma, White House Black Market, Banana Republic, Dicks sporting goods, P.F. Changs, The Chop House, Holister and the possibility of a new hotel and more than 80 new stores, I feel that the Augusta Mall has transformed from a dying mall to a vibrant center for eating and entertainment along with shopping. What is amazing is how this was your plain jane mall which jumped over Columbiana and Haywoods more upscale status to Augustas version of the Riverchase Galleria. By the way I would have though that when the Village at Riverwatch was announced that the Augusta Mall would feel the effects but to my surprise it is the other way around.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i alot of ppl thought that about augusta mall, but the developers behind the aug mall have alot more money than the one's of the riverwatch. I do think that a city over 530,000 probably btw 600,000 to 650,000 by the time the riverwatch mall is built by late 08 or 09 can support 2 upscale malls. The highest median income outside atlanta is the city of augusta & we already had two malls before, plus we have alot more new residents to the metro area. I really do hope they build a hotel hopefully 10-12 floors the only tall buildings on the westside of augusta are the buildings near doctor's hospital, & ft.gordon eisenhower hospital

i alot of ppl thought that about augusta mall, but the developers behind the aug mall have alot more money than the one's of the riverwatch. I do think that a city over 530,000 probably btw 600,000 to 650,000 by the time the riverwatch mall is built by late 08 or 09 can support 2 upscale malls. The highest median income outside atlanta is the city of augusta & we already had two malls before, plus we have alot more new residents to the metro area. I really do hope they build a hotel hopefully 10-12 floors the only tall buildings on the westside of augusta are the buildings near doctor's hospital, & ft.gordon eisenhower hospital

The metro IS 530,000. The 600-650 is a stretch for 2 years though ;)

I'm really impressed with the Augusta Mall's turnaround. In my purely hypothetical opinion, the Village at Riverwatch will NOT be built in it's present form in the next few years. If it does get built soon, I'd expect to see more of a residential/hotel/entertainment blend than the purely upscale retail originally planned. I'd honestly prefer to see a more mixed use plan for that site, as the location and the scenery would be perfect for residential.

I am not trying to be pessimistic, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. First off, it is a stretch to say Augusta has 530,000 people, and it is totally ridiculous to say that Augusta will have 600,000-650,000 in 1-2 years. Atlanta doesn't see that kind of growth in a year.

With names such as Coldwater Creek,William Sanoma, White House Black Market, Banana Republic, Dicks sporting goods, P.F. Changs, The Chop House, Holister and the possibility of a new hotel and more than 80 new stores, I feel that the Augusta Mall has transformed from a dying mall to a vibrant center for eating and entertainment along with shopping. What is amazing is how this was your plain jane mall which jumped over Columbiana and Haywoods more upscale status to Augustas version of the Riverchase Galleria. By the way I would have though that when the Village at Riverwatch was announced that the Augusta Mall would feel the effects but to my surprise it is the other way around.

To tell you the truth, it was LONG overdue that Augusta saw some of those stores enter the market. Many other cities the size of Augusta or slightly larger have all those stores and much more. Even little Anderson SC has a Hollister store...(which is far from upscale btw)

To tell you the truth, it was LONG overdue that Augusta saw some of those stores enter the market. Many other cities the size of Augusta or slightly larger have all those stores and much more. Even little Anderson SC has a Hollister store...(which is far from upscale btw)

Yea, Fat Tuesdays was alot of fun....especially during my college days. Nothing like a drive through daquiri bar! It totally encouraged drinking and driving so I can see in a way why it didnt last. That whole strip of Washington rd. would practically be gridlocked with partiers going in between FT's and several of the other clubs/bars in the strip. It got so bad on Sundays that the street practically closed down!

Oh yeah. You have to love Sunday nights. I remember Cafe de Teau would go crazy on Sunday nights, staying open until 3:00 a.m., non-stop partying. The Sunday night ending Masters Week would be the absolute best night to be working in a restaurant. The locals were all back in town, well-rested from their vacations to Hilton Head or wherever, and they would be ready to party. Man, I had some of the best times of my life.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been out of Augusta for many years now but I think there was a Banana Republic there. Actually think I left before the Whites/Sears wing was added to the mall. But I think the Banana Republic was in the mall, downstairs near the central fountain in the early years of the mall. There was a Disney store down there at one time as well.

Archived