Michelin on Main

gs3

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 months later...

Going through a weeks worth of mail today, I was PLEASANTLY surprised to see the below.

Michelin is featured on the cover of the April issue of VM&SD, a retail design magazine with a worldwide readership of professionals in the design industry. Inside is a multi page article / write-up on Michelin's first retail experience here in Greenville. I just laid the magazine on my desk and snapped a few photos. If you'd like to read the article (which is excellent), you can go to www.vmsd.com Currently it looks like the March issue is still up on their website, so it may be a couple of days until this article is available on the website.

Also, from the article, a little bit of cool trivia here:

One of the world's oldest trademarks, Bibendum, was commissioned by Andre Michelin in 1898. It literally means "to drink up obstacles". The original poster, by French artist Marius Rossillon, showed the jolly tire man with a martini glass full of road obstacles and offering the toast "nunc est bibendum". (Michelin says that translates to "tires drink obstacles").

This article is both excellent press for Michelin and Greenville. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

DSC04375.jpg

DSC04376.jpg

DSC04378.jpg

One of the world's oldest trademarks, Bibendum, was commissioned by Andre Michelin in 1898. It literally means "to drink up obstacles". The original poster, by French artist Marius Rossillon, showed the jolly tire man with a martini glass full of road obstacles and offering the toast "nunc est bibendum". (Michelin says that translates to "tires drink obstacles").

This article is both excellent press for Michelin and Greenville. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Going through a weeks worth of mail today, I was PLEASANTLY surprised to see the below.

Michelin is featured on the cover of the April issue of VM&SD, a retail design magazine with a worldwide readership of professionals in the design industry. Inside is a multi page article / write-up on Michelin's first retail experience here in Greenville. I just laid the magazine on my desk and snapped a few photos. If you'd like to read the article (which is excellent), you can go to www.vmsd.com Currently it looks like the March issue is still up on their website, so it may be a couple of days until this article is available on the website.

Gotta disagree on this one. My sister was in town this weekend, so I took her downtown to walk around. I was pleasantly surprised...more like thrilled...to see the Stay-Puft Marshmallow man was no longer terrorizing RiverPlace. That thing was just tacky, and would be more at home at South of the Border. The new sign is much classier and fits in better with the surroundings. The DPC got this one right.

Gotta disagree on this one. My sister was in town this weekend, so I took her downtown to walk around. I was pleasantly surprised...more like thrilled...to see the Stay-Puft Marshmallow man was no longer terrorizing RiverPlace. That thing was just tacky, and would be more at home at South of the Border. The new sign is much classier and fits in better with the surroundings. The DPC got this one right.

I knew it was coming, so I wasn't surprised to see it up earlier last week (or was it the week before?). Personally, I really like the new sign. It has Bib's cute face and includes the name, which I was hoping to eventually see outside the store somewhere. The only thing I don't really like about it is the huge square bar that is holding it in place. This bar was used to hang the sculpture of Bib, so obviously it had to be sturdy enough, but with the much smaller sign, it looks way too noticeably bulky and much less stylish/sleek. Something coming straight out of the building's exterior wall (like the other signs on the building) would definitely look better, in my opinion.

This article is both excellent press for Michelin and Greenville.

DSC04375.jpg

DSC04376.jpg

DSC04378.jpg

Sorry for quoting myself, but does the Greenville Snooz get its article info from UP??? I posted this on March 28 and the Greenville Snooz ran the below story on March 29. They specifically mention VMSD. I can't believe the Snooz even knows what VMSD is. :lol::dontknow:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs..../803290308/1003

Regarding the recently demoted Bibendum statue, Michelin's spokesman told the G'ville News:"Michelin still is negotiating exactly where that new home will be, he said, "and we can't give out his new address." Hoxworth did say the public should be able to visit him at his new location, which is a location involved with both the automotive industry and Michelin North America."

Wouldn't this reference only refer to CU-ICAR?

Michelin doesn't currently have a presence there, does it? Could Bibendum be going there?

Regarding the recently demoted Bibendum statue, Michelin's spokesman told the G'ville News:"Michelin still is negotiating exactly where that new home will be, he said, "and we can't give out his new address." Hoxworth did say the public should be able to visit him at his new location, which is a location involved with both the automotive industry and Michelin North America."

Wouldn't this reference only refer to CU-ICAR?

Michelin doesn't currently have a presence there, does it? Could Bibendum be going there?

• 2 months later...

More good press for Michelin on Main and Greenville.

In the June 2008 publication of Architectural Record magazine, an advertisement for "eventscape", which was used heavily in the upfitting of Michelin on Main, features a huge picture of Michelin on Main's interior. At the bottom of the page, it tells about the product, what the pictures is of (and mentions "Greenville SC"), and what features of the picture are resulting from the product.

I was caught totally off-guard by seeing this picture as I was flipping through the pages. While, it doesn't explain anything about the store or Greenville because it's about the product used in the store's upfit, it does use an awesome photograph of the interior of M.O.M. that intrigues readers to read the details which reveals the location. People might not realize that Greenville has such offerings using innovative materials... :)

• 2 weeks later...

For all the naysayers, Michelin on Main has been successful. So much so that the tire maker is planning an all-retail store in Spartanburg's Westgate Mall. The two locations will have completely different focuses; Greenville's is about experiencing Michelin as a brand and to offer downtown a 'unique retail destination', while the Spartanburg location will be simply retail in a retail setting.

Michelin on Main in downtown Greenville has been such a success for the tire maker that it plans to open a store in an Upstate mall to test its branded merchandise in a strictly retail environment.

For all the naysayers, Michelin on Main has been successful. So much so that the tire maker is planning an all-retail store in Spartanburg's Westgate Mall. The two locations will have completely different focuses; Greenville's is about experiencing Michelin as a brand and to offer downtown a 'unique retail destination', while the Spartanburg location will be simply retail in a retail setting.

The Greenville News' Article

Archived