Concord in the midst of major changes?

Neo

On 9/9/2016 at 4:42 PM, go_vertical said:

I think it's a tale of two different beasts here. Yes, NASCAR is extremely popular here, but it is life down in Daytona. Also, down there the track is pretty much the defacto downtown in regards to entertainment as the actual downtown is fairly sleepy and the strip on the beach isn't much to speak of. I think any developer that would attempt to do anything to compete with Concord Mills in any way would be insane.

4 hours ago, rancenc said:

Where is that Norcott Mills site? I can't find it online anywhere.

Concord is a very bi-polar municipality right now. It has three major "centers" of activity forming a trifecta: The amazingly beautiful downtown Concord, Concord Mills mall, and the Speedway. And the latter two are practically the same (same boulevard). Who knows how this will pan out in the decades ahead. Concord Mills mall is on its way to being the dominant non-South Park mall in the region, and the Speedway ain't goin' nowheres. Then, you've got downtown, which in my eyes is one of the best in the region, but a bit under-served, and nowhere near a passenger train stop. So who knows. Can they all grow in harmony?

Edited by SgtCampsalot

I feel the reason why Concord Mills/Speedway areas are still divided (despite only a mile or so between the two) is poor planning and even worse zoning.  Not that the area was ever destined to be a pedestrian mecca, but the area between CMills and the speedway is a swamp of parking lots, car dealerships, an RV dealer, a golf course, and a drag strip.  The only saving grace to the area is the convention center and probably the Charlotte metro's highest concentration of (currently open) hotels.  They just weren't planned in accordance with the area.  To me, this is the biggest reason why the Speedway area is just never going to evolve.  It is built for quick access in and out. 

The Daytona area, however, is a major tourist attraction without nearby competition, so they area evolving that area to maximize profits from tourists (something that the state of Florida is very, VERY good at.)  IMO, road improvements (ie access improvements, not pedestrian) to the CMills area will continue to drive further retail growth and continue to drive tourism profits upward for Cabarrus County.  They have no need to ever direct growth in a different direction so long as what they're doing is continuing to make money.  Plus, the only way to fix that area would be to flatten the whole strip and rebuild from the ground up.  IMO, it is passed the point of no return for any hope of urbanization.

17 hours ago, AuLukey said:

The only saving grace to the area is the convention center and probably the Charlotte metro's highest concentration of (currently open) hotels.  They just weren't planned in accordance with the area.  To me, this is the biggest reason why the Speedway area is just never going to evolve.  It is built for quick access in and out.

Instead of trying to develop it for year round use I would love to see them take advantage of the minimal infrastructure.  The site has everything needed to host an annual music festival like Bonnaroo or Coachella.  If done right a similar festival could bring in $50 million or so annually.  Unlike Bonnaroo or Coachella, a Concord festival would have much better airport and mass transit options, to go along with, a high concentration of nearby hotels.  

40 minutes ago, cjd5050 said:

Unlike Bonnaroo or Coachella, a Concord festival would have much better airport and mass transit options, to go along with, a high concentration of nearby hotels.  

Not sure about mass transit, but airport, heck yes. It's like right there! And super cheap tix if you can get a flight that goes there.

18 hours ago, AuLukey said:

Plus, the only way to fix that area would be to flatten the whole strip and rebuild from the ground up.  IMO, it is passed the point of no return for any hope of urbanization.

You're right. The CM area, or Speedway area, ain't getting urbanized. And you're also right that since that money mechanism is still working, they're not going to worry about much else. The downtown will slowly plug along, and all the while Salisbury and Kannapolis will be upping their downtown games more and more every week. Le sigh. Meh.

Instead of trying to develop it for year round use I would love to see them take advantage of the minimal infrastructure.  The site has everything needed to host an annual music festival like Bonnaroo or Coachella.  If done right a similar festival could bring in $50 million or so annually.  Unlike Bonnaroo or Coachella, a Concord festival would have much better airport and mass transit options, to go along with, a high concentration of nearby hotels.  

Not that they are anywhere as large as coachella or bonnaroo, but the speedway already hosts many concerts every year including larger events like Carolina Rebellion. You also have to consider they have a major competitor practically next door at PNC Music Pavillion, one of the premier music venues in NC

13 minutes ago, AuLukey said:

Not that they are anywhere as large as coachella or bonnaroo, but the speedway already hosts many concerts every year including larger events like Carolina Rebellion. You also have to consider they have a major competitor practically next door at PNC Music Pavillion, one of the premier music venues in NC

Had no idea about Carolina Rebellion.  Not my style of music.  

Not sure I'd compare a concert facility like PNC to a festival but I see where you're coming from.  Do not get the feeling that B. Smith is about anyone other than himself...which is why it was curious he wouldn't pursue anything at his complex to make a buck.  

4 hours ago, cjd5050 said:

My thinking on mass transit would be the use of shuttle busses from the end of the light rail to the speedway.   

Cabarrus and Mecklenburg are seeking funding for new shuttle buses between the end of the Blue Line and Concord Mills. Though, I don't know which route the shuttle buses would take, it would be preferred if they took US 29 to Bruton Smith Boulevard, with stops near 485/PNC Pavilion, the Speedway, the Great Wolf Lodge, and Concord Mills. There should also be a stop near Concord's airport, to link it with the rest of Charlotte's transit network.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Third Strike said:

Cabarrus and Mecklenburg are seeking funding for new shuttle buses between the end of the Blue Line and Concord Mills. Though, I don't know which route the shuttle buses would take, it would be preferred if they took US 29 to Bruton Smith Boulevard, with stops near 485/PNC Pavilion, the Speedway, the Great Wolf Lodge, and Concord Mills. There should also be a stop near Concord's airport, to link it with the rest of Charlotte's transit network.

Would LOVE a shuttle to PNC Pavillon.  

36 minutes ago, cjd5050 said:

Would LOVE a shuttle to PNC Pavillon.  

After doing some further research on the matter, it seems like the route to Concord Mills would be Mallard Creek Church Road to Mallard Creek/Derita Road. That's disappointing. There's more residential development along this route than US 29/Bruton Smith Boulevard, so I suppose it makes more sense.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, rancenc said:

It is a wonderful looking terminal with baggage claim and all! I'm not too keen on Allegiant but it is good for Concord and doesn't really compete with CLT. Direct flights to MSY (New Orleans) start soon which is the first major airport that they will have a route to. I'm certain that the new terminal will make it much easier to make deals with other low-cost carriers interested in flying to the Charlotte area. :tw_thumbsup:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Neo said:

It is a wonderful looking terminal with baggage claim and all! I'm not too keen on Allegiant but it is good for Concord and doesn't really compete with CLT. Direct flights to MSY (New Orleans) start soon which is the first major airport that they will have a route to. I'm certain that the new terminal will make it much easier to make deals with other low-cost carriers interested in flying to the Charlotte area. :tw_thumbsup:

Spirit is the only low-cost carrier we don't have in Charlotte. I wonder if this would make the economics work. Outside of FL and TX, Atlanta and Myrtle Beach are the only airports Spirit serves in the South. 

I mean, Concord had no reason to make the terminal glitzy, but I feel like that terminal looks like a VERY bland version of a convention center conference hall.  Turn the chairs all the same direction and throw up a projector; bam, Powerpoint presentation about workplace safety.  :yawn:  At least throw some color in there.

11 hours ago, AuLukey said:

I mean, Concord had no reason to make the terminal glitzy, but I feel like that terminal looks like a VERY bland version of a convention center conference hall.  Turn the chairs all the same direction and throw up a projector; bam, Powerpoint presentation about workplace safety.  :yawn:  At least throw some color in there.

Meh...Yeah it's a snooze in terms of aesthetics, but I'm happy to have it.  Having a second airport that can attract the ULC carriers is, in my opinion, a big asset.  My biggest quibble is that it doesn't have jet bridges.

On a separate note, there was a Bizjournal article yesterday that stated once again that the airport is in talks with four other airlines.  Brent Cagle was interviewed for the article (among others); he stated that he had heard Spirit was interested.  Also Sun Country, Frontier, and Virgin America were mentioned as possibilities.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cltbwimob said:

On a separate note, there was a Bizjournal article yesterday that stated once again that the airport is in talks with four other airlines.  Brent Cagle was interviewed for the article (among others); he stated that he had heard Spirit was interested.  Also Sun Country, Frontier, and Virgin America were mentioned as possibilities.

Was Cagle talking about possibilities for Concord or Charlotte-Douglas? We already have Frontier at CLT. Spirit would be a nice ULCC add to destinations like Fort Lauderdale and Orlando. Virgin America is a long shot with their merger into Alaska Airlines planned. Their network is very small and West Coast / trans con focused. They don't serve many Southeast cities and anything they operate would be long and thin on profit margin.

31 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Was Cagle talking about possibilities for Concord or Charlotte-Douglas? We already have Frontier at CLT. Spirit would be a nice ULCC add to destinations like Fort Lauderdale and Orlando. Virgin America is a long shot with their merger into Alaska Airlines planned. Their network is very small and West Coast / trans con focused. They don't serve many Southeast cities and anything they operate would be long and thin on profit margin.

Cagle was talking about Concord.  

I think Frontier could be a possibility if they were to move from CLT, but I don't really expect that.  I absolutely don't think Virgin America will be coming to Concord, but the article mentions it nonetheless.  If I had my guess, I would say Spirit will be the next airline at Concord followed by Sun Country perhaps.  I suspect Spirit would evaluate Baltimore, Newark, Detroit, Dallas, Houston, and possibly Ft. Lauderdale as potential destinations.  Sun Country would probably look at serving Minneapolis and perhaps Dallas.  

Another thing I found interesting is that Concord is supposedly (according to one Bizjournal article) now the 4th busiest passenger airport in NC.  If the ULCCs continue to do well and add flights/destinations perhaps one day it might displace Greensboro as the third busiest in NC.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Glad to see this project started.  Looks to bring not only the residential component to downtown, but up to 1/2 dozen new retail spaces.  Can't wait to see the finished project.

http://www.independenttribune.com/news/construction-begins-on-historic-hotel/article_ddf6fab2-bf4e-11e6-8d9a-7725d24b4529.html

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Anyone have any insight into what else is going in by Kohls and now on the land across from Lowes?

It was originally slated to be a Bloom. But I get the feeling that fell through. If I had to guess, it'll still be a grocer. That side of Highland Creek/Christenbury is underserved aside from the Earthfare going in next to Kohl's.

15 minutes ago, allthingsplanes said:

Anyone have any insight into what else is going in by Kohls and now on the land across from Lowes?

8 minutes ago, AuLukey said:

It was originally slated to be a Bloom. But I get the feeling that fell through. If I had to guess, it'll still be a grocer. That side of Highland Creek/Christenbury is underserved aside from the Earthfare going in next to Kohl's.

Are y'all talking about the new commercial center being built on the southwest corner of the intersection of Concord Mills Blvd (where it turns into Christenbery Pkwy) and Derita Rd (after it changes from Mallard Creek), with the new Dunkin Donuts? Or another development?

Edited by SgtCampsalot

There is on one corner  the shopping center with Kohls and EarthFare behind the new gas station and Dunkin. There was going to be a BJ's Brewhouse restaurant a west coast chain (pretty good and very popular in the west) I dont see it on that corner anymore but there is a Bad Daddys Burger bar on the lease plan. On the other corner there is a grocery store in the works not sure yet whom and a QuikTrip on the corner. 

Here are the plans for Christenbury Corners the bigger center underway at that corner

http://properties.theshoppingcentergroup.com/property/output/center/detail/id:2460/#plans

On the other corner is the new QuikTrip and a grocery anchor behind it. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

Did some more checking looks like a Lidl the new German grocer coming next to the QuikTrip opposite the EarthFare and Kohls. Given all the homes nearby 2 different grocery concepts should do good there. 36,000 sq ft Lidl which seems to be there size. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1