Concord in the midst of major changes?

Neo

The Observer is reporting that Phillip Morris is offering it's Concord employees $50,000 to move their jobs to it's Richmond, VA plant. Hourly employees who turn down a Richmond job could get between six months and about 21 months of severance and retention pay.

I heard shortly after this move was announced that a lot of the PM employees would not be leaving the area. Instead they would take the severance package. Not sure if adding $50k to the pot would change their minds or not.

• 3 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

I know this is a bit off topic, but in other concord development news, I am wondering if anybody out there knows what is being built at exit 52 off of I-85 in Concord. I was headed north to go visit a friend today when I noticed a fairly large blue tower crane like those in uptown on the left/western side of the interstate. While I am sure there aren't any highrises planned for this area, I can only assume that a crane of this size is being used for something at least six stories but I haven't heard a peep nor can I find anything online about any new development on Poplar Tent.

I was just curious seeing that cranes aren't really common sights in Concord and all.

I know this is a bit off topic, but in other concord development news, I am wondering if anybody out there knows what is being built at exit 52 off of I-85 in Concord. I was headed north to go visit a friend today when I noticed a fairly large blue tower crane like those in uptown on the left/western side of the interstate. While I am sure there aren't any highrises planned for this area, I can only assume that a crane of this size is being used for something at least six stories but I haven't heard a peep nor can I find anything online about any new development on Poplar Tent.

I was just curious seeing that cranes aren't really common sights in Concord and all.

This is for the wind tunnel project that was announced a few months ago. There is also a new fire department under construction in close proximity to this development as well as a new office building in the airport complex.

You can view image updates to this project (including aerials of the construction progress) by visiting the following website: http://www.windshearinc.com/photos/images.htm#Images

Here is a rendering of the completed building:

windshear_building.jpg

It's been said that what takes PM's place will NOT be a strip mall, and will NOT be parceled out. I don't really buy that -- I think it is wishful thinking on the council's part.

It's highly unlikely that it will be a park. There is no revenue from a park. They have to try to replace the tax money lost from PM moving.

What they are hoping is that a big company will come in and put a plant there. That's probably the most likely scenario, that or it sits there because they won't parcel it up.

The city is hoping the site will be developed industrially, Hiatt said.

Wow, they are a lot further along on this project than I thought. I figured they were only at the foundation stage right now. I also didn't realize it would be as tall as it is. It may not be six stories, but it's still large enough to constitute a mini-tower crane.

As for the PM land. While it would be a nice boost to the tax base if another manufacturer would move in there, I hope that, even if that does happen, they use most of the rest of the land for other multi-use development that would benefit that area. I just hope that the city knows not to allow yet another strip mall to hit 29.

Wow, they are a lot further along on this project than I thought. I figured they were only at the foundation stage right now. I also didn't realize it would be as tall as it is. It may not be six stories, but it's still large enough to constitute a mini-tower crane.

I too was wondering what was going on there and I too had no idea that the Wind Tunnel was so far along in the construction process thanks Neo for the insight and the link

As for the PM land. While it would be a nice boost to the tax base if another manufacturer would move in there, I hope that, even if that does happen, they use most of the rest of the land for other multi-use development that would benefit that area. I just hope that the city knows not to allow yet another strip mall to hit 29.

There is a mixed used development that will start construction soon (permit is currently awaiting resubmittal which is common) off of Hwy. 29 at Concord Farms Rd. which is pretty close to the PM site. It contains a few dozen town homes, commercial, retail, single family homes, etc. I imagine it is something along the lines of a Birkdale type development. I could give you the specific numbers on how many units of what are going to be available but the permitting database for the city seems to be down at the moment.

I have also been in talks with NCDOT on the extension of George Liles to Roberta Church Rd. Apparently they were originally planning to put an interchange at Hwy. 29 and Roberta at Christy's Nursury but to speed up the project they have decided to scratch those plans. It is number two in priority after the widening of I-85.

Wow, I can't believe they would consider putting any interchanges on 29. That's just poor planning. It's not like those two roads are HEAVILY traveled like Harris Blvd and University City Blvd where an interchange still has little justification. I'm glad they are nixing that plan as it would ruin any hopes of development at (the future) Liles Blvd and 29 which is sure to be a major intersection in Concord down the road.

I didn't know about the Concord Farms development either. That's big news. I hate that they are putting it on that road though; I've always enjoyed driving down that twisty road through the farmland there. Back when I was in high school, that road was the scene for pretty much every student to put the peddle to the floor after school. While not the safest road to do that, there wasn't anywhere for police cars to hide, so it made the perfect place to see what your car had. Back to the topic though, I'm surprised that they would choose to place such a development on such a highly used road that already can't normally handle the traffic it currently has to begin with. If this is indeed built, then there will have to be a traffic signal on 29 there and significant road improvements. Hopefully this also means that they will curb 29 along this stretch. That is one thing that has bothered me about 29 in Concord, south of S&D coffee, there is absolutely no curbing at all except at Pitts School Rd and again right before you hit Meck County at Morehead.

In hindsight though, it is good that Concord is realizing that strip malls have ruined their city's main thoroughfare and is promoting more mixed use developments. It's too bad they didn't figure this out BEFORE Concord Mills Blvd was developed.

I highly doubt curbing will be installed for more than the tract of land it is being built on. I don't think there is a way around a light being installed at Concord Farms and Hwy 29. Concord Farms is currently a pretty busy road because of all of the development that has spurred up on George Liles Pkwy and will just get busier until George Liles is extended to meet up with Roberta Church Rd. at Hwy 29.

The master plan is to extend George Liles as a four lane road to Hwy 49. In talking with the NCDOT about this plan they are backing off a little on getting this four laned and are apparently now exploring the idea of it just being the current two lane version due to time and costs. This is a terrible idea, especially if Concord continues to allow development along the George Liles corridor as they have been.

In addition, there is a planned big box development for Stough Rd. and Hwy 49 which would ultimately be the terminus of the George Liles Pkwy extension. You can read more about that here:

See this on the UP Wiki: Morrison Ridge Shopping Center

Tack on another potential attraction to the Speedway area. According to the Observer, Bruton Smith is looking to build a $60M drag strip for top-end events in drag racing circuits which draw in large crowds and many race teams. It would be built next to the DirtTrack.

This is definitely proposed. There should be more information in Sunday's paper I believe, at least for Concord's Independent Tribune. Looks like it would be accessible from Speedway Blvd.

There is a mixed used development that will start construction soon (permit is currently awaiting resubmittal which is common) off of Hwy. 29 at Concord Farms Rd. which is pretty close to the PM site. It contains a few dozen town homes, commercial, retail, single family homes, etc. I imagine it is something along the lines of a Birkdale type development. I could give you the specific numbers on how many units of what are going to be available but the permitting database for the city seems to be down at the moment.

Ok, I checked this afternoon for more details about this development and here are the numbers:

57 single family homes

46 town homes

4 commercial

I will also note that this has completed review and given the green light so dirt should begin to turn very soon for this project.

Aww, that's it? I thought there'd at least be some retail considering its location on 29 near a future major intersection. Oh well, at least it is kind of mixed use.

I assume that it will contain retail as part of the commercial part of the project. It is far better than the typical Cabarrus County development however, but it is a far cry from anything 'urban.'

I was flipping through this month's Wired Magazine and noticed an article on the new wind tunnel in Concord. The article is up on their website here: http://www.wired.com/cars/coolwheels/magazine/15-10/pl_motor

Some interesting tidbits on the facility but to note that Wired pegs this the "ultimate wind tunnel" which is excellent to have in our region for obvious reasons.

Wow, I read Wired almost cover to cover when it comes in and I must've skipped right over this one. Great find Neo! Too bad there isn't any mention of Concord, NASCAR Country, the Speedway, or Charlotte.

Also, at $4000/hr in a $40 million facility, that will take quite awhile to pay off assuming it doesn't run the full eight-hour workday. Oh well, an investment is an investment.

Edited by aussie luke

Tack on another potential attraction to the Speedway area. According to the Observer, Bruton Smith is looking to build a $60M drag strip for top-end events in drag racing circuits which draw in large crowds and many race teams. It would be built next to the DirtTrack.

Concord City Council members voted unanimously Monday to stop construction at the LMS drag strip being built. There are concerns about too much noise and council members say that Bruton Smith and company have not been giving answers to their questions.

The Concord City Council has put the smack down on B. Smith (owner of the Charlotte Motor Speedway) by denying him the zoning to build a big drag strip near the race track. Smith, true to form, has said he may sue the city over the incident and wishes he had never been annexed by Concord. It's an amazing turnaround since the worked hard to have the gerrymandered annexation take place in the first place to shut out Harrisburg from annexing the track. This was done because Harrisburg is/was a dry town and Smith did not want to lose out on alcohol sales at the track.

While I understand Concord's reasoning behind this, they just screwed themselves. Smith was planning to build a whole racing complex around there eventually. I can't see him doing any more developing here if he becomes angry at Concord. Way to screw up a good thing Concord!

While I understand Concord's reasoning behind this, they just screwed themselves. Smith was planning to build a whole racing complex around there eventually. I can't see him doing any more developing here if he becomes angry at Concord. Way to screw up a good thing Concord!

I'm not sure we should be applauding Smith. Yes, he has contributed a great deal to Concord and the Charlotte region as a whole, but is it to the point where we should allow him to do anything he wants? Cutting down the trees a few years ago got him reprimanded and now he goes ahead with grading without a permit for a drag strip. Smith is too big for his britches IMO and needs to abide by the same laws as everyone else. I don't see why a drag strip can't be a part of the facilities around the dirt track and the regular race track, but I'm all for doing it the right way with involvement from the surrounding community.

What Smith has done is make himself look bad through all of this. He is not above anyone else in this region and for anyone to think so is irresponsible.

I think more than anything, Smith is just playing hard ball. Losing the Lowe's track would have a real adverse effect on Concord. I'm sure Concord will come to some sort of compromise. They would be stupid not to, IMO.

BTW - where in Charlotte would he build a track?

I can't imagine spending $350 million just to build another complex just because the City of Concord didn't give him what he wanted right when he wanted it the way he wanted it. It comes across as whining and I see it no other way. I'm certain a compromise can be had that would allow for the drag strip in the end. Smith needs to cool down and go about this a different way. Perhaps involve the community in the initial design of the track and hold public meetings with the community as to the design and direct impact to surrounding residential areas.

In the blink of an eye Smith is willing to give up what he and Concord have worked so hard together to create over decades? Something just doesn't seem right about this. I'm certain that nowhere in Charlotte would he be allowed to build a drag strip for the same reasons Concord is asking questions about. This area isn't a rural area as there are thousands of homes within close proximity to his proposed track so I can certainly see where residents are coming from on this.

Nowhere. Certainly not in Mecklenburg. A few years ago ever expanding development caused closure of the Shuffletown Dragstrip. This was a well know staple of this type of racing for years but once people started living near the thing, they found they didn't like the noise and eventually the owner was forced to close it.

It's my guess that Smith needs the Charlotte area than the Charlotte area needs Smith.