Concord in the midst of major changes?

Neo

Maybe by the airport like in Daytona? No need to worry about noise when you have jets going in and out all day and night. I don't see this threat playing out though. I think the story is kind of funny. It must be nice to be able to spend $350 million on a new location because you didn't get what you wanted. I bet the Nascar execs building the hall of fame spit up their coffee all over their computer screens when they read that comment.

The airport has paid millions of dollars to homeowners to either buy them out if they're on flight paths or to insulate their houses against the noise.

Bruton Smith has made it official that his lawyers are looking at how to get "un-annexed" from Concord. How close is he to Charlotte? Could he apply to be annexed here?

Here's a link to the Shuffletown Drag Strip. It shut down in 1992.

I doubt Charlotte will be annexing anything outside of Mecklenburg for a long, long time. If bruton placed this about two miles further south on n tryon, then maybe.

I understand that he can't go pushing around the city like he's trying to do. He is going about it the wrong way, of course we all know that. It just amazes me that with the airport, the speedway, the dirt track, and a rock quarry (two miles away) all there, why would people complain about the noise from this when large events are only four or five times a year tops? Could bruton not also build some sort of sound wall between the strip and the large neighborhoods just north of this area?

The airport has paid millions of dollars to homeowners to either buy them out if they're on flight paths or to insulate their houses against the noise.

I agree, however the noise from a drag strip is apparently much louder than any of the other noises currently in this area. This is obviously what you get for purchasing a cheap cookie cutter house next to a major interstate, 4th busiest airport in the state, major race track, dirt track, several industrial businesses, etc. Obviously adding a drag strip to the mix doesn't seem like it adds a great deal to the noise factor that is already there.

The problem I personally have with this is that he started grading without a permit and when the city decided to take action against it he crosses his arms and begins to whine that he's going to pack his bags and move everything somewhere else where he feels loved. He's done nothing but prove that he's a grown baby and I've lost any respect for him as I'm sure many others have.

How close is he to Charlotte? Could he apply to be annexed here?

The track is located in Cabarrus County so no, he can't be annexed by Charlotte. He also can't just move it down 29 to be in Mecklenburg County as there are a great deal of residential developments all around this location with a large mixed use development planned very close to to the new CVS at 29 and 485.

I doubt Charlotte will be annexing anything outside of Mecklenburg for a long, long time. If bruton placed this about two miles further south on n tryon, then maybe.

I understand that he can't go pushing around the city like he's trying to do. He is going about it the wrong way, of course we all know that. It just amazes me that with the airport, the speedway, the dirt track, and a rock quarry (two miles away) all there, why would people complain about the noise from this when large events are only four or five times a year tops? Could bruton not also build some sort of sound wall between the strip and the large neighborhoods just north of this area?

He doesn't give a damn about residents. He's nothing more than a rich arrogant pr*ck who wants his way--or else. Remember when he promised to save a large stand of trees in Mecklenburg, then quickly mowed them all down? Now he begins construction of a drag strip with no permits or zoning. Smith seems to think he is above the law when everyone else has to abide by it. He deserves no respect or sympathy.

It would be hard for me to image that Smith would walk away from a $350M facility (number quoted on TV) only to rebuild it a few miles away. He's got the roads, public airport, facilities and surrounding development there needed to support a hugh racetrack that would no doubt be difficult to reproduce elsewhere.

On top of that, there simply isn't anywhere left in Mecklenburg county were he would be allowed to build such a thing. As noted above there would be huge protests about such an environmentally unfriendly place with noise and traffic being huge concerns. No politician in Meck. is going to approve it as it's not like it is an industry moving here from the north. On the suggestion about locating it near the airport, I would completely agree there is no place for it there as there are some very complicated situations concerning airport noise and the surrounding neighborhoods and businesses. They simply would not tolerate the suggestion that a race track be put there too.

My guess is nobody is going to take Smith that seriously on this matter and under NC law he has no way to "un-annex" himself. It's disappointing that he cares so little for the community that has supported him over the decades.

So far, the focus has been on the people of Concord. Let's not forget about all the corporate people at Lowe's, Coca-Cola, Bank of America, Food Lion, and NASCAR that would be affected if he built a new track. You've got the NHOF being built--which I'm sure NASCAR and the city would like to keep in close proximity to a track. Coke and BOA have two huge races, plus there's the All-Star Challange. Food Lion's speed street is built around the All-Star and Coca-Cola 600, not to mention the auto shows they hold at the track. I doubt many people at these companies would be happy with having to move their events to a brand new location. While they could still easily hold their events at a new track, they may be concerned about attendence (for events held at the track, as well as in the city) depending upon how far away a new track would be built. Also, by continuing to sponsor events at Smith's new track, they could be perceived as supporting his actions, which would most likely put them on many people's $h!t list.

Plus, just because you build a track, doesn't mean NASCAR is going to hold a race there. From what I understand, they select where the races will be held. So, while Smith wouldn't need NASCAR's approval to build a new race track, he would have to get them to agree to hold races at it. And I doubt NASCAR wants to get into a PR nightmare like explaining why acres and acres of trees were cleared to build a new track in close proximity to a functional existing one, all because some guy didn't get to build a drag strip at the old one.

It would be hard for me to image that Smith would walk away from a $350M facility (number quoted on TV) only to rebuild it a few miles away. He's got the roads, public airport, facilities and surrounding development there needed to support a hugh racetrack that would no doubt be difficult to reproduce elsewhere.

On top of that, there simply isn't anywhere left in Mecklenburg county were he would be allowed to build such a thing. As noted above there would be huge protests about such an environmentally unfriendly place with noise and traffic being huge concerns. No politician in Meck. is going to approve it as it's not like it is an industry moving here from the north. On the suggestion about locating it near the airport, I would completely agree there is no place for it there as there are some very complicated situations concerning airport noise and the surrounding neighborhoods and businesses. They simply would not tolerate the suggestion that a race track be put there too.

My guess is nobody is going to take Smith that seriously on this matter and under NC law he has no way to "un-annex" himself. It's disappointing that he cares so little for the community that has supported him over the decades.

What about Gaston Cty?

They seem like they would be persuadeable and it's close to a real airport.

Edited by moonshield

Take a look at Google Earth. I was looking in around the airport as I mentioned before. Now I am not saying this can be done, but it has pretty interesting possiblities. Below is a screenshot overlooking the CLT airport area. I have added in the future runway currently under construction. From the same elevation I superposed LMS and what I can tell is parking lots around it to the west of 485. I made that section a little darker so you can see it better.

Advantages I see are:

1. right next to 485 and not far from I-485/I-77 interchange- easy access.

2. sound buffer on the west due to river.

3. next to airport.- I added a orange box west of the new runway for crew team aircraft parking.

4. next to airport- less noise hassle next to noisy airport.

5. next to the airport- will be a big push for onsite airport hotel- great for stranded passengers if race isn't here.

6. big incentive to make light rail from LMS/Airport to uptown.

speedsway.jpg

^I am of the opinion they would have a huge hurdle against that location because this appears to be right in the Catawba River Watershed. There are some fairly recent rules that dictate how much ground can be covered by development that would prevent something such as the speed way from being built.

Plus thare are neighborhoods there were people would complain just as loudly as they did in Cabarrus.

What about Gaston Cty?.....
Exactly where is this? Do you mean Gastonia?

WBTV just aired a report addressing many of the questions that have been raised in this thread (including where a new track might be built). I have posted the link below to that story.

They also raise the issue of how much $$ do you pump into a facility to renovate before you finally replace? They quote a speedway exec as saying they were looking at putting $200 M into renovations as part of a master plan. If building from scratch will cost $350 M, suddenly the price seems to work.

Although I do not think LMS will move, I do find this story interesting and I think Concord/Cabarras Co. should probably not bite the hand that feeds them so to speak.

Link: http://www.wbtv.com/news/topstories/10212771.html

Now if Smith was a smart person, he would get the Triad and the Triangle into bidding for his racetrack. They, I would assume, would love to steal it away from the CLT area.

And I believe Smith to be a smart person.

Interesting thought. I def. hope this doesn't happen...but, you have a good point.

I don't think Smith can move. Loads of NASCAR interest already exists in and around Charlotte. With the existing infrastructure, events, companies, hotels, hall of fame and wealthy NASCAR people it is just impossible. The second he thought of leaving any number of investors would be ready to step in and make the existing Lowes Motor speedway work, its just to perfect to pass up. Not to mention how many investors, executives, racers, and team owners have a sincere affection for the area the community. Getting NASCAR to sanction a track that will squander 100's of millions in investments and infrastructure built around the association's central hub while simultaneously pissing off dozens of racing elite just doesn't seem very reasonable.

I've got a freind that works in the industry(he's pretty reliable), I'll see if he knows anything about what the heavyhitters think of Smith's complaints.

Take a look at Google Earth. I was looking in around the airport as I mentioned before. Now I am not saying this can be done, but it has pretty interesting possiblities. Below is a screenshot overlooking the CLT airport area. I have added in the future runway currently under construction. From the same elevation I superposed LMS and what I can tell is parking lots around it to the west of 485. I made that section a little darker so you can see it better.

Advantages I see are:

1. right next to 485 and not far from I-485/I-77 interchange- easy access.

2. sound buffer on the west due to river.

3. next to airport.- I added a orange box west of the new runway for crew team aircraft parking.

4. next to airport- less noise hassle next to noisy airport.

5. next to the airport- will be a big push for onsite airport hotel- great for stranded passengers if race isn't here.

6. big incentive to make light rail from LMS/Airport to uptown.

speedsway.jpg

I love your plan, it would be a GREAT way to revitalize the west-side!! I know it may not be 100% feasible though :(... Plus think of the pollution from the airport + the pollution from the track haha

One other good point - The Garden Parkway would run just to the south of this!

Edited by DigitalSky

Firstly as a long time resident of Concord... I'd just like to go on the record and say that if LMA was to move that would be strike two for this city as far as economical and buisness $$$$ is concerned. Fisrt being the loss of Phillip Morris. County commissioners overreacted and came to the conclusion of the words of anti-racing supporters mostly. People who decided to buy a house with there back yard right next to the speedway....... All I want to ask from theme is didn't you know a race track was there and what it could potentially bring??? If they are so against the noise why did they move to that specific location to begin with??

Secondly what would happen to the city of Harrisburg if the track was to move???? That city thrives off of the race track and the people it brings every year... The people who are complaining about this need to realize. If the track goes.... there goses all of Harrisburg's big $$$. Which wouldn't that lower there tax value anyway because who would want to live there anyway with increased taxes countywide to make up for the income deficit. Harrisburg would turn into the next Rockingham in my opinion.

I understand that people don't want the extra noise, but when your front porch overlooks one of the biggest racetracks in the country.... I have to ask what were you thinking?

P.S. I'm not trying to state this to make anyone angry I'm trying to prove a point...

That's an interesting idea to put it west of 485 by the airport. Looking at a aerial shot of that location shows there aren't a ton of neighborhoods but it would still be a huge cost, even if they can get around the watershed rules. River front property is incredibly expensive and the property owners probably won't want to give it up. However, there are several very large parcels owned by Carolina Centers LLC totaling about 775 acres and the City of Charlotte owns an additional 130 acres in the middle of all of that property. So, the possibility is there.

Edited by Raintree21

Keep in mind I virtually dropped the current LMS site in that area west of I-485. Realistically if something like this ever came about, they would most likely have the speedway much further east as close to 485 as possible with grass parking lots further back towards the river.

Ok, this is stupid. A. he won't move, he has too much built where he is currently located to rationalize doing this much over a dragstrip. While building the facilities themselves may only cost $350 million, purchasing the amount of property needed for the facilities as well as the vast parking lots will not be easy to do. B. Concord and Harrisburg's economies make a huge percentage of their business during race week and also in October.

I'll be the first to say that, if he did in fact move, I would not miss the traffic. However, given the shear number of hotels that have just been built up along Speedway Blvd along with those that are proposed, the number of amenities around the track such as retail and restaurants, any other area in this metro would hurt the fans themselves as there wouldn't be near the level of entertainment, lodging, food, etc surrounding a new speedway. Now, I'm aware Bruton is out to make himself money and could probably care less about the average fan, but if this is indeed the largest sports facility in the southeast, then why would he just build another one? What good would an enormous empty sports facility in Concord do anybody? I doubt the city would find another use for it. Thus, it would suffer the same fate as the Coliseum. Only, this is on a much, much larger scale. And, in a city much smaller than Charlotte, so the blow would be much heavier. Losing the speedway would have much larger impacts on the economy of Concord and Harrisburg than most people think. I mean, being the third largest city in NC for a week has a pretty big impact on local businesses even into the University City area.

I say the city of Concord should allow the dragstrip to avoid even the small chance of this happening. Ask him to build some type of noise barrier in order to soften the impacts on local residents. According to a recent Observer article, Speedway Motorsports is "really serious about addressing the concerns of the neighborhood and the council" so why not let them address these concerns rather than baring the development of a dragstrip? Concord is making a mistake by slapping Bruton's hand when he is bringing something in that will help soften the economical blow PM is bringing in a couple of years.

Plus, I mean, what's two very loud cars drag racing five seconds for several hours compared to 43 loud cars racing almost non-stop for several hours? Residents will get used to the new noise just like they are used to the speedway noise. Plus, I haven't seen a lot of drag racing take place at night; although I'll be the first to admit I only see it when it comes on Sports Center for twenty seconds or one of those "amazing car crash" shows. If these events are held mostly in the daytime, who cares if it's loud? I mean, compare a drag strip a mile away from you to your neighbor driving his Harley... Sure, it's loud, but it's irritating for about three or four seconds and then it's gone. I can't imagine it would even be that loud.

The problem is not that Smith and company are "really serious about addressing the concerns of the neighborhood and the council," it's that they have failed to tell the council what their plans are. They've asked for plans to be submitted on how he will decrease the noise but have received nothing.

The Observer today says Smith is looking for 2,000 acres so I guess the airport area is out of the question unless he was able to buy out every single person to amass that amount of land. The article says Smith says he is committed to checking his options for a new speedway in the Charlotte market. His team looked at two sites Wednesday, he said, and representatives for two other sites have called him. "I don't have an option on those properties so I can't say where they are," Smith said. But, he added, "we will be in this area, and fans will have a bigger and better place to go."