What is the big deal in Saugatuck lately

Has anyone else been following this story about the naked boy statue that was part of an outdoor sculpture exhibit in Saugatuck? The small nude boy sculpture is shown as if he's writing on a wall, and the message says "Who is responsible here?", and was placed on the front steps of city hall. Pretty harmless if you ask me, as a parent of three small children.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss....xml&coll=6

Yet, Grand Rapids had the Otterness exhibit last summer, with sculptures alluding to greed on the front steps of 200 or 300 Ottawa (?), which houses many financial institutions. And sculptures of characters with male genitalia on the front steps of the Civic Auditorium and several other spots. No complaints as far as I know.

Needless to say, I'm a little disappointed in the way the city of Saugatuck is handling the situation. They are, after all, publicly elected officials. If they can't take a little heat from a statue of a naked boy questioning their authority, they need to get out of the kitchen.

Is Saugatuck, the "progressive pocket" of West Michigan, becoming more uptight? And Grand Rapids lightening up more?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Needless to say, I'm a little disappointed in the way the city of Saugatuck is handling the situation. They are, after all, publicly elected officials. If they can't take a little heat from a statue of a naked boy questioning their authority, they need to get out of the kitchen.

I've watched this story carry on with a little bit of disbelief myself. Saugatuck/Douglas is supposed to be the most liberal and art oriented community in West Michigan, but they can't take one *slightly* provocative sculpture? I was blown away the first time I read this and realized we were talking Saugatuck and not Zeeland, Holland or GR. Art is supposed to make you think. These people need to find something else to worry about as I think they are more offended by the message than the public that is viewing the art.

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

Archived