IN PROGRESS: North End Gateway Apartments

beerbeer

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The developers at the heart of a sweeping, now-disputed deal with the Hartford Housing Authority broke ground on 57 units of apartment housing Monday.

The roughly $15.7 million, publicly subsidized development called The Gateway will turn a vacant, 3-acre parcel just north of Hartford's downtown into a horseshoe of apartments for those living on low incomes.

But getting retailers to commit to the site has been hard, Merida said. Two things stopped retailers from committing to the project to date: the lack of a suitable corner lot for a major retail store, and their reluctance to commit until the housing units were completed.

"The people who are interested in retail are saying, `Well, what are you going to do there?'" Merida said. "They want to see it."

I think this will be a good project. Adding newer housing stock is a must this area and this will begin the infill process to close the gap between the North End and Downtown. Hopefully the retail component really comes to fruition shortly as well.

I grew up in Meriden, where Carabetta is from, and let me tell everyone, this guy is complete scum who represents every bad trait in a developer. He is responsible for horrible developments where ever he goes that have no respect for the surrounding area. He single handedly set back the redevelopment of Asbury Park, New Jersey by decades. He is involved in all sorts of shady deals that are hidden behind various LLC's, including the bribery scandal with the housing authority. He has personally gone bankrupt at least once. And he takes it upon himself to stick his nose in any development that happens in Meriden. A couple of years ago they were discussing redeveloping the area around the train station, going so far as to get state money for design work. Carebetta tried to create his own plan and comandeer the his supporters in the city government into letting him do it. This guy leaches onto corrupt city governments and sucks money out of them. Carabetta, as much as anyone, is responsible for the ruin that the city of Meriden has become. It is extremely distressing to me that I keep hearing his name in conjunction with all of these development projects in Hartford, as it can only mean bad things.

I grew up in Meriden, where Carabetta is from, and let me tell everyone, this guy is complete scum who represents every bad trait in a developer. He is responsible for horrible developments where ever he goes that have no respect for the surrounding area. He single handedly set back the redevelopment of Asbury Park, New Jersey by decades. He is involved in all sorts of shady deals that are hidden behind various LLC's, including the bribery scandal with the housing authority. He has personally gone bankrupt at least once. And he takes it upon himself to stick his nose in any development that happens in Meriden. A couple of years ago they were discussing redeveloping the area around the train station, going so far as to get state money for design work. Carebetta tried to create his own plan and comandeer the his supporters in the city government into letting him do it. This guy leaches onto corrupt city governments and sucks money out of them. Carabetta, as much as anyone, is responsible for the ruin that the city of Meriden has become. It is extremely distressing to me that I keep hearing his name in conjunction with all of these development projects in Hartford, as it can only mean bad things.

• 1 year later...

I worked in these buildings the other day, they looked nice, but I agree with Afro, do we really need more low income housing? I think that is Hartford's problem, too much low income housing. Let West Hartford build some low income housing for a change.

The market does have to take it's course though, even regarding affordable housing. That location would not be viable for an all market-rate development in my opinion. There would not be a large enough market for it. I think if we can improve the appearance and quality of housing stock of this part of the North End at least there is more of a chance for truly quality development on the vacant lots on Main and Windsor St. leading towards Downtown.

I totally agree, and it's more feasable if you can at least improve the appearance of the tough neighborhood that will still be near there for the forseable future. Most cities that rebound have a period of time when the new has to live along with the old, usually a bit uncomfortably. The city has to hit a critical mass when people feel like Hartford is a cool enough place to live in to deal with it. After that, redevelopment can spread out to the neighborhoods that really need it once there is more interest in the city as a whole.

The market does have to take it's course though, even regarding affordable housing. That location would not be viable for an all market-rate development in my opinion. There would not be a large enough market for it. I think if we can improve the appearance and quality of housing stock of this part of the North End at least there is more of a chance for truly quality development on the vacant lots on Main and Windsor St. leading towards Downtown.

With the old Stowe Village next to them I'm afraid they are making a solid block of lower income housing.

On a related note, have you noticed all the small business on North Main it is really improving up there. I'm scared developments like this will push the whole strip into a group of low income housing.

Archived