80 and 285: Potential new freeways?

Sonrise

I think that mass transit is a good idea, and something we should work towards in Gville and the upstate. Yet, at the same time, ignoring the need for a better road and highway system (while holding out for mass transit) seems pretty crazy. As others have said, "we love our cars," I know I love mine. And though I would probably use a mass transit system at least some, it would have to be very comprehensive, go a lot of places, be quick to access, and not cost much to get many people (including me) to find it convienient enough to use with reqularity. Our city and area was not built around mass transit, and while we can work to help change at least some of that, we need to have a good solid highway system in place, as most people will use that mode of transportation. SO having a northern loop, enough lanes on 85 and 385, and adequate secondary roads will be a must for our area. If we are smart, we will also work on those comprehensive mass transit plans at the same time. Of course money is always an issue, but I have no doubt it could be done the right way. We need both, but first and foremost, we need to make sure what we have is adequate. It will not be (adequate)for long, and things always cost less now than they will in a few years. :thumbsup:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think distortedlogic hit a few nails on the head with that last post. I think it's a bit myopic to just proclaim "People love their cars and they aren't getting out of them!" and leave it at that. I'm not sure how much everyone is keeping up with the news, but our love affair with cheap fuel is seeing some dark days, and even darker days are ahead. This doesn't mean that cars will go extinct, but it will force people to seriously consider alternative forms of transportation, but they can only do so if they are available in the first place. We must also be realistic about mass transit and how it is built; you're not going to have an extensive LRT network in 5 or 10 years. Sunbelt cities have only recently started getting serious about alternative forms of transit, and so we've got some catching up to do.

I don't know about myopic. It's been proven time & time again that, despite high fuel costs, people continue to chose their cars vs. other modes of transit.

Build it & they will come? THAT, in my mind, sounds more myopic, as taxpayers will be forced to pay for transit alternatives that will serve a very, very small segment of the population.

I don't know about myopic. It's been proven time & time again that, despite high fuel costs, people continue to chose their cars vs. other modes of transit. Build it & they will come? THAT, in my mind, sounds more myopic, as taxpayers will be forced to pay for transit alternatives that will serve a very, very small segment of the population.

The point should not be to make people give up their cars. I don't think anyone is suggesting such a thing. However, there are ways of building an environment that is better for ALL modes of transportation including biking, walking, transit, and vehicles. Interstates are not one of them. If the northern connector were a regular road, then it could be a great idea. I'm all in favor of creating a better road network (increasing connectivity).

• 3 weeks later...

I take 80 (J. Verne Smith Pkwy) almost every day and I thought that I had seen something quite bizarre and today I confirmed it. The east and west signs are incorrect, actually switched! Heading towards blue ridge at the roads terminus which is Wade Hampton Blvd the road signs all read 80 east, when the road is clearly heading west and conversely when heading in the opposite direction towards 85 (east) all of the signs read 80 west. Has anyone else noticed this serious gaffe or am I just going kuckoo? Thanks

I believe there correct. You're not going true east and west, more of a northeast-southwesterly direction. Going towards 85 is Southwest and vice verse for going towards Wade Hampton is Northeast. Because it is an even number road it has to read east and west. If it was an odd number it would have been north-south.

I readily admit that I'm dense on certain issues but how is going from 85/14 (basically the start of 80) towards Wade Hampton heading east? If hypothetically speaking the freeway continued on for another 20-25 miles instead of ending at WH it would end somewhere around Tryon, NC. That is definitely west of us, not east. I hear what your saying though about neither direction being a true east/west direction. Oh well, I thought the signs were put in backwards. My bad. Thanks

• 6 months later...

I'm bumping this in hopes, as remote as they may be that my dreams of Highway 80, aka J. Verne Smith Parkway becomes a true limited access freeway that connects us here in Greertucky with 85 and then onto 385, negating the awful 15-20 minute trek down Main Street in Greer. The last three days I've noticed that land next to the airport, directly parallel to JVSP and across 14 next to and behind a stone and/or mulch company has all been cleared. I'm sure it is a coincidence since it would be huge news but it is almost identical to my proposed extension of 80 that would connect it directly to 85. Anyone know what this is? Is it airport related or has my dream come true? Thanks

I am disappointed but thanks anyway Spartan, much appreciated. Does anyone know what is going on there? It's a fairly major clearing of land along 80 and 14 and the southern side of the airport. It does look like a road, maybe private, airport related, perhaps?

Archived