If Fred Thompson is nominated

nashscan

Please, no discussion whatsoever on your opinions of republicans, Bush, or Thompson's political leanings, etc.

If Fred Thompson enters the race and wins the republican nominaiton, most likely his headquarters will be in Nashville. Will this have an impact on our city's status as a major player among other US cities? How would it impact Nashville concerning national media coverage and people moving here. Shaping and molding our city?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

remember gore in 2000? he was based here. i don't think that having a presidential candidate is going to do much for people moving here. nashville has too many other more important things than this to pull new nashvillians in. and what is your definition of major player?

Not necessarily... and not necessarily in Lawrenceburg, where he spent most of his formative years. Presidential libraries are not necessarily put in a president's birthplace. Although, they often become tourist draws in their own right (e.g. Hope, AR).

Actually, it's left pretty much up to the president. I believe G.W. Bush wants his put in Dallas. So, while there would be a contest of sorts, it's usually put in a location with access to lots of visitors (e.g. Nashville).

Outside of a Presidential Library if he were elected I don't see how it would effect Nashville much. In "theory" having a President from your state should help out your state overall, with some locales probably more than others, but I'm not so sure how much weight can be put into that unless the President is proactive in making his Presidency beneficial for his home state.

Probably not exceptionally helpful to a home state while he/she is in office. It would be a big tourist draw after his/her term however as these libraries are really a museum for a period of time in the life of the president. I've been to the Carter Center and it surprised me how interesting it is. I'd even like to see the Clinton and Bush (I) libraries... not that I'm a fan of any of them. LOL

Not related but sort of on topic... your Senator Frist did almost nothing for your state as Senate Majority Leader... and that would have been a better opportunity to benefit a state (IMO).

Not necessarily... and not necessarily in Lawrenceburg, where he spent most of his formative years. Presidential libraries are not necessarily put in a president's birthplace. Although, they often become tourist draws in their own right (e.g. Hope, AR).

Actually, it's left pretty much up to the president. I believe G.W. Bush wants his put in Dallas. So, while there would be a contest of sorts, it's usually put in a location with access to lots of visitors (e.g. Nashville).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

If Thompson wins the presidency, no doubt you will have more photo ops in the state and therefore more publicity. But it won't make or break any city or town. The likely big winner will be Lawrenceburg (where I lived when I was 7-9years old). As stated above, think of Plains, GA. I drove through there last year and it does have a tourist draw to some degree even to this day.

You could also think of Carthage, TN. While the VP isn't the prez, I'll give Gore credit for being one of the most famous and outspoken VPs ever. What I don't know is what effect all that press (negative or positive) has had on Carthage. Use that as a measuring stick to some degree.

Archived