Saluda Gardens Valuations?

fontanna

Hi. I'm currently a home owner in the Saluda Gardens district of West Columbia. In the past 12 months it seems that the prices of homes for sale in our neighborhood have seen significant increases. Just curious but can anyone explain the apparent sharp rise in home values in this area. I realize that in the last few months the Riverwalk extension opened, but I can't see how that would make that much of a difference. Is the Columbia Farms chicken plant moving finally? Any ideas would be most appreciated. Thanks

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A lot of people are discovering the Cayce-West Columbia area. It is very close to Columbia without BEING in Columbia and there is a percieved value for that to many people. Prices in the area have gone up appreciably since I moved there bak in the late 90s.

Thanks to all for your replys.

Has anyone heard any recent news regarding the Columbia Farms plant possible move? Last I read they had no plans of the like. I'm sure it would have a large impact on the Congaree Park development plans for 400 Meeting Street and all of West Columbia. It just doesn't seem like it will ever become a reality given the fact that a large percentage of their employee base live within walking distance of the facility. Moving out of the area would create some serious sustainable workforce issues.

From what I hear from public officials and development people, it's just a matter of time. They will definitely be out eventually -- pressure is on from all sides. I have little doubt that the water they're dumping into the Congaree is being tested frequently now. If they aren't forced out, at some point a developer is just gonna make 'em an offer they can't refuse. If I had to guess I'd say 3 years. 5 years max.

IMO, the chicken plant won't move until the other land in the area has been developed. There is still a large vacant lot next to the bridge on the north side of Meeting Street and a larger vacant lot between State St and Alexander St. Until these are developed there isn't an economic reason to buy out the chicken plant because it will take a tremendous amount of money.

I've been worried that something like that would occur.

Any news on that parcel on Knox Abbott between the Blossom Street Bridge and Alexander, across form Monetrey's? I was hoping they'd make it part of the Riverwalk park, but they probabbly won't since Guignard park is kitty-corner from it.

I've been worried that something like that would occur.

Any news on that parcel on Knox Abbott between the Blossom Street Bridge and Alexander, across form Monetrey's? I was hoping they'd make it part of the Riverwalk park, but they probabbly won't since Guignard park is kitty-corner from it.

Archived