UPMC - "We own you"

TheGerbil

Okay so I'm being a bit dramatic. But the city just approved UPMC's logo atop our tallest building. I have to say I'm not happy. I don't really think any logo belongs on the US Steel tower; it's too prominant in the skyline.

I have nothing against UPMC itself. But considering it's the city's largest employer, and they have bought out most of the hospitals in the region, this sign seems like a visual illustration of their dominance. Welcome to UPMC City.

http://post-gazette.com/pg/07178/797432-53.stm

Let me reiterate, I think UPMC is good. Although I would like more competition among local hospitals, UPMC is a world-class institution and they bring tons of jobs and research money to the region. I just don't want any logo on that particular building, and I find it disturbingly appropriate that it should be UPMC that does it.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the possible exception of questions over profitable UPMC's status as a non-profit... I am quite happy. The U.S. Steel Tower, for all its architectural innovation, is a big blank hulk in the nighttime skyline. It will be nice to see a little twinkle giving life to that steel-aged edifice. For all the whining we do about the media's portrayal of Pittsburgh as a rusty hellhole dominated by steel mills belching toxins into the 2nd-most polluted skies in the country... this is a nice symbolic gesture that we are a city defined by high-tech post-industrial sectors as opposed to the dominance of the long-dead steel industry.

81171793.jpg

I can understand the rancor over the UPMC sign, but I like the symbolism of UPMC taking over the US Steel tower. The US Steel tower itself said, at one point, "We own you, Pittsburgh." Times have changed and a new face will now dominate the Pittsburgh skyline. UPMC is a great global image for Pittsburgh to project.

Welcome to the next Pittsburgh Renaissance.

I'm just not a fan of any sign being that dominant. But I do agree that there is some nice symbolism going on there. Even if many visitors won't know what UPMC stands for.

Who knows, maybe I'll see the sign and decide it looks nice. But what I picturing in my head is icky.

I'm just not a fan of any sign being that dominant. But I do agree that there is some nice symbolism going on there. Even if many visitors won't know what UPMC stands for.

Who knows, maybe I'll see the sign and decide it looks nice. But what I picturing in my head is icky.

Archived