Residence Inn Progress

kjice2

:thumbsup: I was watcing News channel 10 today, and while talking about other projects in downtown, the showed a picture of which looks like a 15-20 story hotel, that would be built near brambleton and another street can't recall. But it look something that belong at the ocean front. Have any one else heard anything?

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The other street is duke, they say it would be a suite hotel, and it just got approved by the city. Construction is to start in the fall and it suppose to open in the spring. I look every where on the internet, but cant find anything about this. All this information is coming from wavy news 10.

The project is near the Freemason area, where a $40 million apartment complex was approved by the City Council on Tuesday.

"The architecture of this hotel project is first class," Burfoot said. "It will fit the character of that area very well."

LTD officials plan to break ground on the hotel this fall and to have it open by late 2008.

Am I the only one that thinks the design doesn't look all that great for a downtown area? I can't imagine the Freemason residents being too happy about this either. Btw, I think that this is going on that grassy area in front of the york street garage.

So, they are going to be be right next to each other with Duke in between.

...and no, vdogg. I don't think this design is '1st class either. It looks pretty typical of what you'd see from a Residence Inn and nothing special to fit in with the fabric of Freemason.

It's good but not great design (IMO), but it fits well with the other new structures in and around the location. The shapes and the materials are good choices, and I don't miss the heavy handed theatrics that might have spoiled this design. All in all, it suggests what the Newby project could have looked like with a little more thought.

Marriott apperas to be well on the way to getting a chokehold on downtown hotels. This will make 3 in the downtown area, plus the Renaissance in Portsmouth. I'm not saying that this is necessarily a bad thing, but it is an indication of how Marriott likes to do business- i.e. lots of "feeder" properties for its major hotels.

I just hope the city isn't accepting anything just to get development now. It almost seems like they are desperate and will accept anything now. What I don't understand is that they accept this but turned down the cosmo! Maybe that is why they didn't accepted the Cosmo if they feel this is good architecture!

Archived