Residence Inn Progress

kjice2

I stayed a night here last Thursday while some disruptive work was being done at my house in Va Bch. Close-up impression: Main entrance on (York?) St. I liked. Had an urban feel to it, with parking in nice (for parking garages) brick parking garage just across street (I wonder if the Freemason neighborhood association had anything to do with that when it was built some years ago?). Belmont and LR stop, when finished and being clustered together with the R Inn as they are, will give it considerably more of that urban activity and attitude. Studio room exceptionally nice, modern and well appointed. Would not hesitate recommending it. About an equal distance easy walk to Westin convention center (to the South) and Chrysler Museum (to the North), which I felt would appeal to out of towners. By the way, historic Freemason is very nice- just wish there were more of it.

Oasis Cafe, next door, was homey and comfortable. Pretty busy at breakfast. Closes at 3 pm. I didn't realize how many people seem to use the facilities at the Y. A number of women were even working out on the street, sweating in response to I guess a trainer who was shouting out instructions.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I stayed a night here last Thursday while some disruptive work was being done at my house in Va Bch. Close-up impression: Main entrance on (York?) St. I liked. Had an urban feel to it, with parking in nice (for parking garages) brick parking garage just across street (I wonder if the Freemason neighborhood association had anything to do with that when it was built some years ago?). Belmont and LR stop, when finished and being clustered together with the R Inn as they are, will give it considerably more of that urban activity and attitude. Studio room exceptionally nice, modern and well appointed. Would not hesitate recommending it. About an equal distance easy walk to Westin convention center (to the South) and Chrysler Museum (to the North), which I felt would appeal to out of towners. By the way, historic Freemason is very nice- just wish there were more of it.

Oasis Cafe, next door, was homey and comfortable. Pretty busy at breakfast. Closes at 3 pm. I didn't realize how many people seem to use the facilities at the Y. A number of women were even working out on the street, sweating in response to I guess a trainer who was shouting out instructions.

I negotiated them down to $152 from their posted $169. Not much of a discount but it's the principle of the thing. Try "walking up" at the last minute rather than reserving. Tell them you will take either their room or XYZ hotel's down the street, whichever can give you the best rate. Or maybe say you're there on business but don't have a promo code. Usually the manager will give the best quote, but start with the clerk and ask for a manager's quote if not satisfied. I would guess that their posted rates will come down sooner or later because they are higher than most others in town I think, but then again it's downtown.

I negotiated them down to $152 from their posted $169. Not much of a discount but it's the principle of the thing. Try "walking up" at the last minute rather than reserving. Tell them you will take either their room or XYZ hotel's down the street, whichever can give you the best rate. Or maybe say you're there on business but don't have a promo code. Usually the manager will give the best quote, but start with the clerk and ask for a manager's quote if not satisfied. I would guess that their posted rates will come down sooner or later because they are higher than most others in town I think, but then again it's downtown.

Archived