Residence Inn Progress

kjice2

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think the design of this hotel is that bad, it does have some interesting color choices. At least it is not another white CMSS type box. I was thinking now that Granby, Belmont and the Residence Inn are going up simultaneously a new section for Norfolk is slowly emerging. This location at Duke and Brambleton needs renaming or rebranding. This area is different than Downtown, Freemason and Ghent. It needs its own identity or brand. Just a thought!

It might be ok for town center, but not downtown Norfolk. If this was going in Fort Norfolk it would make much more sense. You have to think the design will change and this is just a standard drawing the developer keeps in his trunk.

I play that game several times a week walking with my wife over to Ghent, and it is a little bit scary at times. A pedestrian bridge or two would be very helpful. Perhaps one at Granby and one at Duke? I wonder if the city is thinking about this at all, or do we need to encourage them?

To connect downtown proper to the area north of brambleton. Adding connectivity to downtown (i.e. making it so that people no longer have to play frogger across brambleton), will do wonders to spread development in that direction.

I can think of hundreds of pedestrian crossings in cities across the county with similar (or greater) levels of vehicular traffic, # of lanes, # of pedestrians -- every crossing on Michigan Ave in Chicago for starters -- and not a one of them has a bridge.

It will just be part of the evolution of Norfolk's urban setting for pedestrians and drivers to learn to co-exist -- and one, much less two bridges across Brambleton make as much sense as the $$$$$$$ bike bridge in Chesapeake.

I don't think the hotel is terrible. It's merely another example of Norfolk's current leadership accepting mediocrity and refusing to allow something interesting to be built. Granted, we haven't seen competing proposals which offered daring design, but this sort of cropped up by surprise. Were there any other proposals for the site?

I don't think the hotel is terrible. It's merely another example of Norfolk's current leadership accepting mediocrity and refusing to allow something interesting to be built. Granted, we haven't seen competing proposals which offered daring design, but this sort of cropped up by surprise. Were there any other proposals for the site?

The comparison to the bike path scm is not completely accurate. That $16 million bike path would be used by maybe 4 people daily. Contrast that with the pedestrian bridge, which should be far less btw (I think the one VB is designing is about 2 mil), and your talking about hundreds more users per day. It will be a public amenity and will greatly improve traffic flow and safety. This is what tax money should be spent on honestly. Public amenities which are for the greater good and improve safety.

I can think of hundreds of pedestrian crossings in cities across the county with similar (or greater) levels of vehicular traffic, # of lanes, # of pedestrians -- every crossing on Michigan Ave in Chicago for starters -- and not a one of them has a bridge.

It will just be part of the evolution of Norfolk's urban setting for pedestrians and drivers to learn to co-exist -- and one, much less two bridges across Brambleton make as much sense as the $$$$$$$ bike bridge in Chesapeake.

Sorry, I just read all the other comments....I guess I spoke too soon. Yes a pedestrian bridge would not make sense where there are already crossings....I was thinking you guys were talking further down going toward colley ave where there are no intersections. I agree how does a ped. bridge fit into the streetscape? I travel all over the states for my job and the only reason for a ped. bridge is in the colder climates like Minneapolis etc. and those connect building to building over streets, not just street to other side of street.

There are also pedestrian crossings on Virginia Beach blvd. It is still a daunting crossing and people are still reluctant to do so. The only way to keep town center from being an urban island is to increase the connectivity of the area. There have been numerous accidents and even pedestrians killed at these crossings. I don't think it is too much of a stretch to extend this logic to Norfolk and say that this particular area of brambleton could use more connectivity and an increase in safety. I agree, building to building is best, and if they plan ahead they could do much like Va. Beach did and set aside a part of the existing development on one side of the street to connect to a future development on the other (town center and suntrust). It is early enough in the process where this can be done.

Archived