Granby Tower

brikkman

It looks like they have cleaned up the inside of that building and put some new drywall up as well... I noticed they had been working on it a couple weeks ago when I parked over there.

I keep seeing people wondering around the site, so I hope they're just waiting to get the green light.

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I keep seeing people wondering around the site, so I hope they're just waiting to get the green light.

Painting that wall with their gigantic marquee is definitely a sign of confidence. This good news/bad news roller coaster we've been on for the past year is starting to swing back into the good category, so i'm starting to have hope, again. I can tell you this however, until they fix that water main break immediately in front of the site we probably won't see a thing happen. They've got that whole section of road closed and it's not opening back up until November 14th.

Painting that wall with their gigantic marquee is definitely a sign of confidence. This good news/bad news roller coaster we've been on for the past year is starting to swing back into the good category, so i'm starting to have hope, again. I can tell you this however, until they fix that water main break immediately in front of the site we probably won't see a thing happen. They've got that whole section of road closed and it's not opening back up until November 14th.

Who's confidence? Turner's confidence in Gaddams?

That wall has been painted for a couple of weeks, I can't relate the two....

In my heart, I have moved on like most folks hoping that something else will get built in its place; something as grand as GT. I feel sorry for the people who put down contracts and rearrange there lives to move into GT. They are truely assed out at the moment. I would say move the court system to the GT area, giving more meaning to LRT in that area for redevelopment, but I think the jails would stick out like a sore thumb. I also invision Granby street more of an upbeat strip that supports a thriving DT, something along the lines of 16th street mall in Denver. I'm hoping Granby street would be driving force in redeveloping Norfolk from the core and out. I know people see expansion across brambleton as a whole, but I invision development across brambleton further down Granby. It just makes more sense to me, it would connect East Ghent to DT as well.

I have to believe Turner knows more of what's going on than we do.

Why doesn't someone put on a nice smile and drop into the Turner office to get info? I did that at their office in Richmond and learned a helluva lot about the new Hilton Garden Inn. They couldn't have been more gracious. :thumbsup:

It's official, Turner has set up a regional office in Norfolk.

The new office is located at the northwest corner of Granby Street and Brambleton Avenue, across from the Granby Tower site. It will double as a project office for the tower.

Turner opened the "modest" regional office because the company views Hampton Roads as a growth area, said spokeswoman Shannon Eckhart. Also, the firm wanted a local presence.

Turner sets up shop in Norfolk

I'll admit, Turner setting up a regional office onsite is definitely a good thing, and a step in a positive direction. Kudos to Turner.

However...

It is unclear when work might restart on Granby Tower. Neither Gadams, chief executive of Norfolk-based Marathon Development Group, nor Christian E. Jahrling, the Turner executive overseeing Granby Tower, returned calls this week to discuss the project's status. Gadams said in mid-October that he expected to have new financing in place by Oct. 27

Disconcerting that after months and years of positive quotes, comments and tidbits, suddenly no one answers or returns phone calls in regards to the project. At the least, a "We're commited to the project and are finalizing paperwork with our new lender" would be helpful (although still less than truthful, but either way) *Sigh* i'm weary of the neverending drama with Marathon. <_<

First, where exactly is the Turner office? What building is it in?

Second, come April... we need to all go and dawn hardhats and what not and walk around the granby tower site as if there is work... lol April fools joke.

If you look at the webcam (http://www.granbytower.com/webcam/webcam.php) you can see a big blue Turner sign across Brambleton. It's in that one.

Ah so it's on the end of the strip that contains the tattoo shop and the pawn shop? I believe it used to be APEC Electronics, and they sold discreet components.

Needed a transistor as a youth and I remember going there.

Yeah in that strip... I think Virginia is supposed to open an ABC store over there somewhere too.

It's time to pour a 40 out for this project.

Maybe we can have a ceremony....

To the fallen homey that was to bring us even more inventory.

Wonder if the deposits are in escrow.

Dislaimer: This is not a verified statement as to the current status of this project, and no 40's shall be poured until an official announcement of the projects demise comes from the developer, contractor, or reputable media source. No such announcement is forthcoming at this time. Carry on. ;)

Anyone know whats going in the old building between the Granby tower site and the AT&T building on Bute Street?

Someone has built a really nice looking hardwood staircase and installed some new lighting.

That's my company, xTuple (www.xtuple.com). We bought both buildings - 118 Bute Street and 119 York Street. Construction is a work in progress :)

Cheers,

Ned

Doesn't that huge sign break signage / billboard laws? I bet if a mom & pop shop did that it would be fines galore.

Is anything moving on the site?

What is Marathon saying?

No clue but I just passed by and there was nothing going on today so false alarm. Fully 1 month after financing was supposed to have been secured, this wait is really starting to get on my nerves.

No clue but I just passed by and there was nothing going on today so false alarm. Fully 1 month after financing was supposed to have been secured, this wait is really starting to get on my nerves.

The scarier thing is that it's over 2 months now that Marathon lost their financing and construction was halted. And NSUREDD, i would imagine at this point Marathon is continuing to decline comment, like the last article in regards to this project. :unsure:

Btw vdogg i do agree with you, if we do ever see anything happen with the site it won't be until after the holidays...

Archived