Granby Tower

brikkman

Movement on the site this morning. 12 cars at the turner site across the street, workers and hard hats. Definitely working but I can't tell if there taking stuff away from the site or bringing something to the site...

I want to say taking from the site...

Absolutely not good! What are the taking, the pile drivers? :(

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One would think not, but the next question I would then have to ask you is if you've seen any "heavy" equipment in motion? It's hard for me to get a picture of this up here in Richmond, I may try to swing by there tonight and see what I can make out of this situation.

One would think not, but the next question I would then have to ask you is if you've seen any "heavy" equipment in motion? It's hard for me to get a picture of this up here in Richmond, I may try to swing by there tonight and see what I can make out of this situation.

http://www.granbytower.com/webcam/webcam.php

I just watched some people leave the site and get into a truck and drive off. Didn't see any equipment moving.

This Granby Tower watch is getting tedious. I don't know about the rest of you, but I wish they would make a decision to either kill the project or go with the project. If Gadams does not have the financing in place by now, maybe it is time for him to pull the plug and return residents deposits. A workman here and there on the site does not seem to signify anything.

This Granby Tower watch is getting tedious. I don't know about the rest of you, but I wish they would make a decision to either kill the project or go with the project. If Gadams does not have the financing in place by now, maybe it is time for him to pull the plug and return residents deposits. A workman here and there on the site does not seem to signify anything.

I would have been retrieved my deposit.

No one's stopping anyone from getting their own deposits back themselves. I'm getting more tired of listenening to people talk about how tired they're getting. This will either happen or it won't. But guess what? There's no time limit on this. It doesn't have to happen by a certain date. It could happen next week. Or it could happen next year. It's only going to last as long as Gadams is willing to stick with it. So my point? Let's stop worrying about it until there's something real to say.

No one's stopping anyone from getting their own deposits back themselves. I'm getting more tired of listenening to people talk about how tired they're getting. This will either happen or it won't. But guess what? There's no time limit on this. It doesn't have to happen by a certain date. It could happen next week. Or it could happen next year. It's only going to last as long as Gadams is willing to stick with it. So my point? Let's stop worrying about it until there's something real to say.

I agree... having a few people on site have seem to get everyone angry or back to trash talking the project. If people are on the site for whatever reason it's cool but until something more dramatic happens there, do we all have to come out of the shadows and bash the project, Gadams, or make decisions for the people who want to live there? I've adjusted myself to just wait and not make a peep until this project gets killed or financing is granted and construction resumes.

In all fairness, 12 truckloads worth of people at the site was far more than had been happening since the end of September, brikkman was right to say something about it. I also don't think its wrong for people to express frustration with a project that has dragged on forever and one in which the developer has been less than truthful. A lot of people on this site, myself included, had very high hopes for this project and viewed it as a pinnacle of Norfolks renaissance. Disappointment at the apparent outcome is only natural. For 2 years almost everyone on this site was full square behind Gadams and this project, no one spoke ill of him or marathon. I don't think its being too harsh on him or the project to ask logical questions as to his ability to get financing or see the project through.

Agreed. However, I get the impression from the skyscraper and construction threads that a lot of projects and lenders are waiting for the sub-prime mess to settle down. This could take several months, or even longer, and the outcome for Granby Tower could be almost anything. I hope it works out, but I'm guessing that Norfolk's first 30 story plus building will be an office building or a mixed use project somewhere--not the Granby Tower we've hoped for.

Agreed. However, I get the impression from the skyscraper and construction threads that a lot of projects and lenders are waiting for the sub-prime mess to settle down. This could take several months, or even longer, and the outcome for Granby Tower could be almost anything. I hope it works out, but I'm guessing that Norfolk's first 30 story plus building will be an office building or a mixed use project somewhere--not the Granby Tower we've hoped for.

More like 5 to 7 years to square it away. It's more than a mess, it's epic.

The hotel around the corner is chugging away. I think they were driving piles this morning. That thing is going to be up in no time.

http://home.hamptonroads.com/blog/index.cfm?uid=99#top12279

Dear Future Granby Tower Homeowner,

I am pleased to share with you that we have made some long awaited progress in closing our construction loan with our lender. We hope to have a closing date very soon so that major construction can resume on the Granby Tower site.

We are very grateful to Turner Construction and so many others involved with Granby Tower for their cooperation and patience while we work to finalize the loan closing process.

In addition, the continued support and confidence of our homebuyers have meant a great deal to all of us who are committed to delivering the finest residential address in Hampton Roads. Even as the holidays approach, we assure you we are doing everything we can to expedite the loan closing.

Please accept my sincere thanks and best wishes for a happy, healthy and safe Holiday Season.

Sincerely Buddy Gadams, President and CEO Marathon Development Group

The commitment is admirable to be sure, but still can't help but think how much quicker this process would have gone if Gaddams had added a partner months ago, someone with a better reputation and deeper pockets. While the letter of communication to the 33% people who bought so far (they sent out give or take 100 letters...in a 300 unit building...that 50% number looks more and more like a fabrication) is some communication, not exactly a solid foundation to rest your hopes. Like OT said, 'hope' 'soon' seems like more of the same. And given that new financing was supposed to be in place a month and a half ago, they don't have a closing date, and they're only making some 'progress' towards closing...on top of that the Happy Holidays comment means we certainly won't see anything before the New Year.....*sigh* Some news is better than no news, but i was seriously hoping the next sign or press release was going to be WE DID IT! This is just going to prolong everything for another month at least...pushing the finish date back to late 2010/early 2011, if ever

I see equipment moving on the webcam. I've watched one of the pile drivers in operation since yesterday. Anyone else notice it.

Yes, I see them moving too. Looks like pile driving might start up again. Or they could be breaking them down and taking them off site for other jobs. However, I would like to think they are starting pile driving again.

Archived