Granby Tower

brikkman

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is hard to tell from the webcam but either stuff is being removed from site and placed onto trucks or trucks are brining in more supplies.

Is the second pile driver set back up now or is that just a crane?

The second pile driver is being reassembled on the other side of the lot it looks like. With the utility bank seperating the lot like that and on top of that the site has been stripped several feet below grade, you just can't drive the crane with pile driver attached to the other side of the lot. I could be wrong though.

I still think Granby tower is a go(well for at least now). There has been too much activity on the lot for nothing to be proceeding. They are not out there playing with the dirt. I mean, something is going down, and it look like the project has gain some hope. My only thing is that they start building this tower than get the 12th floor, and say we ran out of money. That would be the most hilarious thing ever. But any way, some one has to be paying all those guys be out there. Maybe they received money from other local investors or something. I dont know, just saying things. But It looks like things are a go, but looks can be deceiving!

Go NORFOLK. Can't wait to get out of NY and come home.

I don't know. That crane is sticking up in the air but the pile driver isn't attached to it. Also, I just saw a second empty flat bed truck pull up behind the first one. They definitely aren't bringing stuff to the site if they're empty. Lets just hope they're only taking away unneeded equipment.

I might just swing by the site and ask someone on my way home from school 2day if they're still working.

or loading them...cold damn. Definitely moving the piles tho.

More than likely they are just moving the pilings from 1 side of site to another. While work was stalled, they had a bunch of pilings dumped into a pile in a corner of lot, an area i think they were done with, as if they were just storing them until they restarted. This seems to indicate they may be moving things in place to ready for a restart. Let's hope that's the case.

Yep, I'm not even looking at that damn camera the rest of the week. The only thing you will see is them dismantling more equipment. I just don't see how they can possibly recover from this. Now you see what I was saying though kjice. They told you they would start pile driving next week, and then started breaking down all the pile drivers. You cannot trust one word that comes out of their mouths. Now it appears that we're stuck with an ugly hole in the ground. It would be funny if it weren't so sad.

you guys might want to start watching construction from week to week, that is a much less stressful way of doing it.

Since they aren't doing construction, it makes perfect sense to take apart the cranes and pile drivers on site. They are costing Gaddam thousands a day whether he uses them or not to be there.

Correction, it's not costing Gaddams anything, he's flat broke...

Another crane removed from Granby Tower site

Another week, another pile driver down.

Workers at downtown's Granby Tower site began dismantling a second pile driving crane this week, after the first was taken apart last week. The crew, from Ford Pile Foundations of Virginia Beach, said Thursday they will next take down the third and final pile driver, as well as two smaller cranes for moving the concrete piles for the building's foundation.

A crane rental company also was on the site Thursday inspecting one of its cranes prior to hauling it away. That firm, Richmond-based W.O. Grubb Steel Erection Inc., has filed liens against the project totalling nearly $80,000.

The liens, filed late last month by Grubb in Norfolk Circuit Court, seek $79,387 from the project's owner, 515 Granby LLC, which is managed by Gadams. In court papers, the crane-rental and construction company said it was owed the money from the rental of two cranes used in connection with driving and installing foundation piles for Granby Tower.

The liens, one for $52,500 and another for $26,887, were filed Nov. 26 and 27.

Also, i'm interested how he's going to close on a nearly $145 million loan in two weeks when they're still trying to woo lenders!? :o

"I think that's why the lenders like it so much," he said, declining to identify the latest prospective financiers.

But this does put the 'what are they doing on the webcam' to rest....that equipment is good as gone

Also of important note...if this ever does rise from the ashes

Additionally, Gadams said Thursday that the scope of the project has changed slightly. Ten townhomes planned for the site's southern edge have been dropped, leaving 292 residential units. Instead, he will be adding about 20,000 square feet of additional retail and office space, bringing that total up to roughly 50,000 square feet.

It just might rise from the ashes. You missed a very important quote

Mayor Paul Fraim said Thursday he and Gadams met last week with people who "gave every indication" that they would loan at least part of the money needed for the tower. He declined to reveal the group's identity.

"They seem to be very favorably impressed with the project and wanted to be a part of it," Fraim said.

Councilman Barclay C. Winn said Thursday he was told earlier this week that Gadams had joined forces with a Chicago firm and that the project was one step away from financing.

I believe Fraim. He's not one to bs, never has. He has always been very matter of fact with his presentation of the details so I do believe there is some reality to these claims. Also, I'm glad to hear that they've finally restructured this project, and it doesn't look like it's costing us anything in height. The chopping of condos and addition of office and retail was the only reasonable thing to do. Now if we can just get him to convert the remaining unsold condos to apartments with the option to buy in the future, I think we'll have a building here.

It just might rise from the ashes. You missed a very important quote

I believe Fraim. He's not one to bs, never has. He has always been very matter of fact with his presentation of the details so I do believe there is some reality to these claims. Also, I'm glad to hear that they've finally restructured this project, and it doesn't look like it's costing us anything in height. The chopping of condos and addition of office and retail was the only reasonable thing to do. Now if we can just get him to convert the remaining unsold condos to apartments with the option to buy in the future, I think we'll have a building here.

I thought the townhouse component was lame anyway. No reason to attach townhouses to a 34 story tower.

I didnt miss the quote, to me it added to the bs after promises of being closed in two weeks. Why is the mayor meeting with prospective lenders at this stage? He should be meeting with THE lender. The wynn thing does give me some hope, but the fact that we've been lied to, again and again, it just gets old. Gaddams reputation is in shambles and rightfully so. The only reason the project is going forward is due to the $22 million subsidy; no lender in their right mind would give this project $180 mill. But the idea that closing and construction resuming is right around the corner is obviously untrue, at this point just another drop into a bucket of lies. I agree with on Fraim, but if this project does get back going, based on these developments we're looking at resuming in late January at the earliest, if not february. This whole project just makes me sigh.

You know, a couple of years ago I was reading the Pilot. And there on the page was a beautiful rendering of the two proposed Granby Towers. Seeing this and falling in love with the towers, made me wonder what else was going on in Norfolk. So I searched the internet for "Norfolk Development" and ran across this website called urbanplanet.org, which I had never visited before. I am sad that the project that caused me to find this forum (and all of you personalities) may be dead. I had so hoped for this tower to be built, but I am all out of optimism for it now. In reality this project has been scaled down since I can remember. Two towers, one tower, no townhomes.....no tower (probably).

Sorry for the rant.

Archived