Granby Tower

brikkman

I don't think we'll be seeing more equipment for a week to week and a half. Right now, all they can really do is tear up the concrete and make the entire site a 5 foot deep crater before anything else can move forward. It's interesting that Turner's office trailer is across the street unlike when they built Trader where the trailer was onsite on Granby St. Having the trailer across the street for Granby could indicate that the site will be very hectic. We shall see if it is busier than usual for a construction site over the the next few weeks, months and years.

I think the only reason they did that is that they have to clear the entire site and the trailer was in the way. I'm not sure if the new location is permanent or if they plan on moving the trailer back on when all of the site clearing is done.

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think about in a week or two I can stop driving past this property knowing that real progress is being made now....

This is most definately the real deal. You can tell it's a whole new ball game. Another large backhoe has been delivered with 2 smaller pieces of equipment. There were several pick up trucks, about 10 men, and a couple of dump trucks hauling away dirt and concrete. It looks like they're done tearing up pavement btw. Now all they have to do is dig. I wouldn't be surprised to see Ford Pile Company on site next week, which is right on time for "mid July". Now that I see what "actual" construction looks like, I'm embarrassed that I fell for their initial ploys the few times that I did. :lol:

This is most definately the real deal. You can tell it's a whole new ball game. Another large backhoe has been delivered with 2 smaller pieces of equipment. There were several pick up trucks, about 10 men, and a couple of dump trucks hauling away dirt and concrete. It looks like they're done tearing up pavement btw. Now all they have to do is dig. I wouldn't be surprised to see Ford Pile Company on site next week, which is right on time for "mid July". Now that I see what "actual" construction looks like, I'm embarrassed that I fell for their initial ploys the few times that I did. :lol:

If nothing else it's a refreshing change from previous attempts, but i agree, we're definitely in the real deal from here on out. Too bad i'm across the river now and can't watch it rise every day :(

If nothing else it's a refreshing change from previous attempts, but i agree, we're definitely in the real deal from here on out. Too bad i'm across the river now and can't watch it rise every day :(

Lots of activity today. 2 backhoes and a bulldozer going gangbusters at the same time. Woohoo! Let's hope the rain doesn't interfere too much.

There is a new pic on the GT sites construction progress page that looks like it was taken from a webcam. I don't know if that is going to be updated daily, the cameras broken, or what. I would prefer a live update cam or at least one that updated as much as the Westins cam if anyone is listening. :whistling::)

Good news. They've begun digging out the 5 feet of earth to finalize preparation of the site. Digging down 5 feet is supposed to be the last thing they need to do before driving the pilings. They've made considerable progress on this, apparently beginning just this morning. :P

Does anyone know what happened to the trees and shrubs that were at the GT site?

I would have like to gotten to dig a few up for my yard, but i suppose they just plowed them over. :cry:

Yep. That's exactly what I did.

It's starting to look like a construction site! :) This building is going to make the most dramatic difference in DT Norfolk since the Dominion Tower and stretch the skyline to the north.

Personally, I can't wait to see it juxtaposed against the federal courthouse, once they go vertical with that. That'll look pretty sweet to have a geniuine art-deco building next to a glass building slightly styled in the art-deco manner.

Drove past the site today, beautiful, like erdogs said, finally resembling a construction site, not an abandoned parking lot with eight concrete posts sticking out of it. Puts to shame their previous slight of hand tactics, and those who fell for them, myself included. One lane on Brambleton was blocked as well as the site has ripped up everything to Brambleton :)

Drove past the site today, beautiful, like erdogs said, finally resembling a construction site, not an abandoned parking lot with eight concrete posts sticking out of it. Puts to shame their previous slight of hand tactics, and those who fell for them, myself included. One lane on Brambleton was blocked as well as the site has ripped up everything to Brambleton :)

Yea they did. It seems like they may build a wall against brambleton and the other street. It seems like they will keep granby open though.

so that's what that was orange right?

Yep, the orange vehicle sitting in the completed pit closest to Brambleton. They still have to assemble the crane and pile driver portion. Presumably an identical one will go in the other pit. It's gonna take them about 4 months to drive all the piles and start going veritical, putting us at about mid November. I predict it will be slow at first, till they get past the garage, then we'll probably see them hit 1 floor per week around January. If I'm right, this building should be about 24 floors high by this time next year. :lol: I've gotta remember where this post is so I can return to it in a year and see if I was right.

Yep, the orange vehicle sitting in the completed pit closest to Brambleton. They still have to assemble the crane and pile driver portion. Presumably an identical one will go in the other pit. It's gonna take them about 4 months to drive all the piles and start going veritical, putting us at about mid November. I predict it will be slow at first, till they get past the garage, then we'll probably see them hit 1 floor per week around January. If I'm right, this building should be about 24 floors high by this time next year. :lol: I've gotta remember where this post is so I can return to it in a year and see if I was right.

so they are going to 1000+ piles with two drivers... This is 4 months?

How long does it take to drive on pile or how many can get done in a day?

Archived