Granby Tower

brikkman

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

final report?

I find this interesting.....

....i wish i could see all the pages! <_<

That's been out for a while (the previous draft came out a year ago, and is probably still online), and yes there is a lot more to it. It was just some college students thesis on the materials etc. needed for construction of highrise, and he chose Granby Tower to research for the report. In other words, this has nothing to do in any way with Granby Tower or its status.

That's been out for a while (the previous draft came out a year ago, and is probably still online), and yes there is a lot more to it. It was just some college students thesis on the materials etc. needed for construction of highrise, and he chose Granby Tower to research for the report. In other words, this has nothing to do in any way with Granby Tower or its status.

There is some interesting info on sales (claims half of units were pre-sold). Not sure how accurate.

There is some interesting info on sales (claims half of units were pre-sold). Not sure how accurate.

It said that in the first draft too. That info is most assuredly dated and is probably actually lower now, unfortunately.

It said that in the first draft too. That info is most assuredly dated and is probably actually lower now, unfortunately.

Also while referenced well, it seems only to be quoting news articles rather than actually seeing sales reports and numbers, which given the track record makes it seem even more dubious.

Granby Tower??? What's that? :P

You all just need to forget about it like me.

I hear you. I''m getting tired of getting all excited and then coming in and seeing that there is no actual news. :lol: I'm thinking about just closing the thread until there is actual definitive news to report.

Not sure if this counts as news or not, but as of today, the City seems to think they've got a reason to keep the street closed until July 2009:

http://www.wvec.com/news/norfolk/stories/w..._.20b02ecc.html

:( Sorry, no dice. This blurb Bute Street-

Through July 2009, watch for closure of West Bute Street next to the Granby Tower construction site between Granby Street and the property line.

Has actually been on the cities construction updates page and has been continually posted in the fast facts section of www.downtownnorfolk.org for over a year now. It'll stay there until they actually reopen that portion of street, which there has been some recent talk about doing so since the site remains inactive. I admire your guys optimism, but unfortunately this isn't news per se. I'm hoping for something more along the lines of pile drivers and equipment being dropped off at the site, and actually in use. Until then, I refuse to get my hopes up.

• 4 weeks later...

Gadams says he's not liable to pay for liens until he gets financing.

This tower is hanging on by the skin o' his teeth. I'd be nice if it went through though.

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/07/granby-tow...ot-liable-liens

This building is sitting right across the street from the couthouse. Why not have the city work with Gaddam to build the first 11 stories of this project and use it as a new court house and then put city hall and other government stuff on top...?

Probably save both Gaddam and the city a lot of money to do this since the city wouldn't have to completely build a new courthouse and go through the whole design process by themselves and gaddam would have tents to fill his tower and would most likely get financing again.

I realize it would require redesigning the bottom portion of the tower again, but I imagine it can be done at a reasonable price since it already has a large enough floor plate.

Gadams says he's not liable to pay for liens until he gets financing.

That's a little misleading, or could be, because the truth is, per the article:

In a brief filed in Norfolk Circuit Court, Buddy Gadams, the president and chief executive officer of Marathon Development Group, states that he has never had financing for the $180 million condominium project.

The foundation of this house of cards project just got knocked out. It's only a matter of time now, unfortunately. Gaddams never had financing, which now that he's had to reveal in order to shed himself of owing $20 million, he can't even cough up a "we're imminently closing our financing deal' quote for the Pilot. In less than two weeks dozens of duped buyers are going to be asking for their deposits back (if not sooner after this is revealed) I wouldn't be surprised to hear about buyers looking into fraud charges or civil suits as well. It's an unfortunate end, but it's what happens when you bite off more than you can chew and continue to perpetrate fraud and lies. Stick a fork in this one, it's over. :angry:

That seems to be the nature of developers. To get to the next level, they stick their necks out and risk it all. Unfortunately, this came back to bite Gadams. It's sad to see for Norfolk because he had a big hand in redeveloping alot of buildings around downtown.

"Strip mall here we come"

What will be put on the site as it only has three options:

1. Grind down the piles and build something else

2. Build on the current footprint with piles

3. Build something of height that does not require the piles.....

STRIP MALL.....ummhmmm.......................nail shop, chinese joint, family dollar, and the ever so popular "Cash on the go" or liberity tax..

"Strip mall here we come"

What will be put on the site as it only has three options:

1. Grind down the piles and build something else

2. Build on the current footprint with piles

3. Build something of height that does not require the piles.....

STRIP MALL.....ummhmmm.......................nail shop, chinese joint, family dollar, and the ever so popular "Cash on the go" or liberity tax..

actually it will probably stay a fenced dirt lot for a few years while this is all in court, then the land would then be sold off. This would be a good chance for GSA to jump back into the picture. Or if the economy is doing better, another developer will jump in on this project. I am pretty sure a tower of some sort will be built there. Once piles are put in place, it is stupid not to use them. But the question is how long will Norfolk have to wait till that lot gets its tower, is the better question.

Time to do what should have been done with that lot all along: expand the federal building and build a pedestrian bridge across Granby. At least, there will be no threat to the historic Greyhound station. :thumbsup:

Pedestrian bridges and tunnels are forbidden as a means of moving prisoners in federal buildings; results of Oklahoma City and 9/11. The only other option would be to have the gov't purchase the lot, build a new modern courthouse, and convert the existing building into office space or administrative use, but the two buildings would have to be completely seperate.

This solution is probably the best for all around, except Gaddams, who will be tied up in litigation for the next three years if he sells the lot now.

Pedestrian bridges and tunnels are forbidden as a means of moving prisoners in federal buildings; results of Oklahoma City and 9/11. The only other option would be to have the gov't purchase the lot, build a new modern courthouse, and convert the existing building into office space or administrative use, but the two buildings would have to be completely seperate.

This solution is probably the best for all around, except Gaddams, who will be tied up in litigation for the next three years if he sells the lot now.

Doesn't the Federal building already have the plans to expand on the current site, why would they scrap those plans and start over?

Doesn't the Federal building already have the plans to expand on the current site, why would they scrap those plans and start over?

They don't even have the money approved. The only reason they wanted to go up was because of Granby Tower. It would save millions for them to build on the Granby Tower site

Archived