Granby Tower

brikkman

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In ten days, it will be the four year anniversary of the announcement of this project. It's strangely fitting, but i think that vdogg should lock this thread on the 31st until the news of the death of this project is official, or a legitimate third party announces financing (not Gaddams and at this point even Fraim looks ridiculous). Anyone disagree?

I seconded it....

It has properly been moved and seconded that this thread should come to an end. All those in favor please respond by saying "I".....

I

As it is written, so shall it be done. :lol: Ok guys,in 7 days time I will pronounce time of death on this project. That's 7 days to pay your final respects so to speak and then this thread will be closed. :thumbsup:

It took Dominion Tower 5 years...Granby should get another year...

It took Dominion Tower 5 years...Granby should get another year...

Stop it. You're keeping this thing alive. (Of course, so is the Norfolk City Council by saying others have gotten 7 years.) I say archive it, bring it back if needed.

Stop it. You're keeping this thing alive. (Of course, so is the Norfolk City Council by saying others have gotten 7 years.) I say archive it, bring it back if needed.

All threads on this site are archived, so if need be it can be easily resurrected. This will just make sure that the next time you see Granby Tower at the top it'll be because the thing is actually being built instead of this endless handwringing.

• 1 year later...

What surprises me the most is that they're still trying to lease retail space for this sucker. This was last verified 8/10/09. It makes me wonder that with the liens now lifted whether it will be easier for him to get financing for the remainder of the project? He just got $20 million worth of free construction which would reduce the overall total needed for a loan.

http://www.loopnet.com/property/14348421/515-Granby-St/

Now that's crazy. It was updated two weeks ago!I'm so curious lol. If you look at the article in the pilot today they have a sad overview of the site.. Great picture of wells fargo from that angle though.. You can also see the Hampton Inn site.

I'm curious to see what the full article says tomorrow morning. Who wants to bet that Gadams will say "we'll have financing secured in 2 weeks", or "we're just about there" or some variation thereof? :lol:

I'm curious to see what the full article says tomorrow morning. Who wants to bet that Gadams will say "we'll have financing secured in 2 weeks", or "we're just about there" or some variation thereof? :lol:

Yeah I just checked pilotonline to see if they updated the article.. You might think this is a dumb theory, but they took a brand new picture today of the Granby Tower site and the caption says 'The Granby Tower construction site on the corner of Granby Street and Brambleton Avenue in Norfolk as seen on Tuesday, August 25, 2009.' They haven't updated the story all day and it says read more in tomorrow's pilot.

Why would they take a brand new picture and say the 'construction site.' On previous articles they have said 'stalled granby tower site filled with water' or something.. I dunno, just seems odd to me. This plus the update on loopnet. You may be right vdogg! haha.

But this is a very unlikely scenario. :dontknow:

Yeah I just checked pilotonline to see if they updated the article.. You might think this is a dumb theory, but they took a brand new picture today of the Granby Tower site and the caption says 'The Granby Tower construction site on the corner of Granby Street and Brambleton Avenue in Norfolk as seen on Tuesday, August 25, 2009.'

VP loves stories about Granby Tower because they can get a new photo of the jobsite without leaving their building. "As seen on Tueday, August 25" makes them look like they are onto the latest breaking news, and not merely resorting to file photos, without anyone exerting any real effort. Just run upstairs and take another picture.

I still think that GT would have been more likely to be built if it was:

Ground floor: Retail

floor 2-15: offices

floor 16-30: hotel

floor 31-40: residential

Or some type of mixed use like that!

Who knows, we might get a 40 floor building some day! :dontknow:

Some of the condos were purchased to be flipped for profit.

True, however, there was a stipulation in the contract stating you must occupy for atleast 1 year before selling.

Wonder if the people will ever get their deposits back.

I recieved my full deposit without any problems about 8 months ago. There was paperwork to fill out but they were actually pretty decent to work with.

True, however, there was a stipulation in the contract stating you must occupy for atleast 1 year before selling.

I recieved my full deposit without any problems about 8 months ago. There was paperwork to fill out but they were actually pretty decent to work with.

Yea, I heard of someone that didn't notice that stipulation and found out later. Not that it mattered. The stipulation is to keep speculators from interfering with the sales by the company themselves, until they are free and clear (they assume they will move them all in a year).

That's cool that you were able to get the money back. By law I think it's supposed to be held in escrow.

• 2 weeks later...

You know if Gaddams was smart, he would have gone back and re purposed half the floors to accommodate Office space keeping in mind the Court next door. It would not hurt to have the federal government as an anchor tenant, and if the condo market ever takes off again simply retool some of the floors from office back to residential.

You know if Gaddams was smart, he would have gone back and re purposed half the floors to accommodate Office space keeping in mind the Court next door. It would not hurt to have the federal government as an anchor tenant, and if the condo market ever takes off again simply retool some of the floors from office back to residential.

Office/ Residential is not the best mix of uses in most american cities. Not to mention you can't really just change a floor from office space to condo space. Every condo needs it's own utilites (HVAC, Water, Electricity), you have to have seperate elevators for safety reasons, etc. It's not as easy as 1-2-3. It'd probably be harder to get full funding for a mixed use tower (condo, office) then a strictly condo tower.

Trying to change the use of the tower during process to part office and part condos would of been a year delay and a huge cost because of that...if he couldnt of gotten the condo tower to work, there would of been no way he could of gotten this to work.

Also, I doubt the courts want to be in any building that is mix used...the only office tenants that they would of gotten when it came to the courts might of been companies that are independent of the federal government that needed office space near the courthouse...law firms and such.

Archived