Granby Tower

brikkman

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have they started pounding piles yet?

I want to say I see a few more piles in the ground but I can't tell. I drive through there so often, I would have hoped to hear something by now, but when I drive past I only see the relocation of the machinery.

Have they started pounding piles yet?

I want to say I see a few more piles in the ground but I can't tell. I drive through there so often, I would have hoped to hear something by now, but when I drive past I only see the relocation of the machinery.

I do know they started yesterday evening driving at least one pile. I think though that there just really starting to get set up. I have seen them unloading piles today, at least two trucks that I've seen. They'll get on a roll soon especially once the pile driver attachement is brought to fit the other crane.

They were positioning pilings this morning. Not sure if they started banging 'em down yet. Won't be long.
I've seen them actually driving piles both yesterday and today. As stated above, the going is slow, but that's to be expected. Every pile they drive is one pile closer to Granby Tower being completed, and for some reason, that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :P

For all you engineer types, how well are they doing with respect to excavation and piecing together the pile machinery?

And where does all that excavation end up going?

They will excavate around most of the site so they can tie clusters of piles together. This is called a pile cap. Basicaly a big box of concrete which top is at about ground level. In the center of the building will be the deepest hole. This will be the elevator pit which will rise the entire height like a spine. 34 floors is a lot of weight which will require a lot of piles to support so expect the banging to go on for a while.

This site plan may have been posted here back when GT was first introduced.

http://www.wvec.com/news/granbytower.pdf

You can see where the elevator shafts will be. It looks like they will be just a bit to the right of the utility tunnel down the middle of York Street. I was wondering how they could pound pilings through the utility tunnel.

They will excavate around most of the site so they can tie clusters of piles together. This is called a pile cap. Basicaly a big box of concrete which top is at about ground level. In the center of the building will be the deepest hole. This will be the elevator pit which will rise the entire height like a spine. 34 floors is a lot of weight which will require a lot of piles to support so expect the banging to go on for a while.

Thanks. Anyone know approx how many pilings per day? And we're talking about 1200 or so pilings?

This site plan may have been posted here back when GT was first introduced.

http://www.wvec.com/news/granbytower.pdf

You can see where the elevator shafts will be. It looks like they will be just a bit to the right of the utility tunnel down the middle of York Street. I was wondering how they could pound pilings through the utility tunnel.

It's dated 2005 but I hadn't seen this before. It shows where retail is planned. Is this still current?

It appears that the triangular piece of land vdogg mentioned in the off-topic thread will be incorporated into the site plan for Granby Tower. I'm sure they will keep it nicely landscaped.

I wonder what they are planning with the... "illumination of the flatiron foundation". I guess that's what that yellow line is.

Ha ha! Wow, their slogan should change to: "Where the river meets our construction site."
LOL...I just checked in on the camera and saw that & immediately came here to see how many others were amused by the foot of standing water on the site...even though amusing, still a bummer though...comeone and dry out granby site. One heck of a storm today..whew.

LOL...I just checked in on the camera and saw that & immediately came here to see how many others were amused by the foot of standing water on the site...even though amusing, still a bummer though...comeone and dry out granby site. One heck of a storm today..whew.

No need to be bummed. They were still driving piles when I passed by. :) A little rain won't stop them.

This is from Downtown Fast Facts by Downtown Norfolk Council - www.downtownnorfolk.org

Granby Tower Pile Driving Contest

Granby Tower construction has started and over 1200 piles will be driven. Keep track of how many piles are driven each week. Piles driven this week 17. Guess the date and time the last pile will be driven and you could win an Amazing Downtown Prize Package! E-mail your guess to [email protected]

This is from Downtown Fast Facts by Downtown Norfolk Council - www.downtownnorfolk.org

Granby Tower Pile Driving Contest

Granby Tower construction has started and over 1200 piles will be driven. Keep track of how many piles are driven each week. Piles driven this week 17. Guess the date and time the last pile will be driven and you could win an Amazing Downtown Prize Package! E-mail your guess to [email protected]

I was waiting for this to come out too. Only 17 so far. I may have to extend my estimate as they don't have the second pile driver going yet. I wonder how long they give you to enter? I usually like to get a few weeks counts together before I guess.

Archived