World Urban Population

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Economist had a special issue devoted to this phenomenon a month or two ago, as well. Hmm... wonder what's piquing the Brits' interest about urban population?!

Really though, it highlights the importance of developing working and sustainable urban environments worldwide. We may be able to pay our way out of the worst problems in the West – congestion, pollution, etc. – but people are practically drowning in them in the megacities of the developing world.

(edit: I should say, I don't think we CAN really pay our way out of those problems even in the U.S., but the vast slums of other countries' cities make our traffic and sprawl seem somehow less threatening to our livelihood.)

It's amazing. I wonder how many people are really needed in the countryside growing crops? For exmple how urbanized could the world be if all nations were urbanized as countries like canada and australia?

-----

es increible, pero no inesparado. La question es: que porciento de la poblacion se necesita vivir en el campo para cultivar o extraer recursos naturales? El mundo sera muy 'urbanizado' si todo seria como canada o australia...

Archived