Live Music

So, where do you guys go locally to hear live music? I'm more in the punk-based and independent scenes, so I spend a lot of time at The Beta Bar, St. Mike's, sometimes Big Daddy's (although they've fallen out of favor), and a couple of do-it-yourself type spaces. I've heard great bluegrass and country at The Warehouse on Gaines. The Legion Hall has the best dancefloor around. Floyd's gets a lot of live shows, but it's a terrible set up, sound is usually bad, the drinks are overpriced, and they don't allow re-entry.

So, where's everybody else get down? Best? Worst? And don't even bring up the Civic Center - that place is a good basketball court, but a crappy concert hall.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use to really enjoy Latin Jazz night (Bossa Nova etc) at Waterworks on Thursday nights, but I don't think they have it anymore. Waterworks also has some good 80's nights. Unfortunately it makes me feel too old to hang out at the student places around campus.

C'mon, you know you've heard of DIY. Shows in houses, warehouses, storage spaces, sheds, outside - that kind of thing. Also known here as "do it yourself until the cops show up after a half hour to shut the whole thing down".

I use to really enjoy Latin Jazz night (Bossa Nova etc) at Waterworks on Thursday nights, but I don't think they have it anymore.

Yeah Cafe Cab. does have some good Jazz and even Blues which I'm more into along w/more of a Latin flavor to my Jazz. However if you think Waterworks is high, you should see what they charge at Cafe Cab. Plus they built this great deck/outdoor seating area, but failed IMHO to make it pleasing and cozy w/at least some plants etc. It's just this cold sterile slab w/a roof. If you are paying those prices, you should at least have a nice atmosphere to hang/chill.

Both places are great to go to from my house, along w/Finnegan's b/c I can walk to them and never have to worry abt the drinking and driving thing.

I haven't gone to a concert in years although I'd love to. My bar days are long over and concerts there are too packed for my tastes. The last one I went to was the folk music daylong festival at the Junior Museum in 2005. Saw several local and regional artists and bought several of their CD's. Right now both my wife and I are desperately trying to get full time jobs and maybe we'll go to something when we can afford it. I was hoping to go to the MLK Blues Concert series earlier this year out at the Bradfordville Blues Club but since I lost my job last August, I couldn't go. Prior years had me working on weekends so I couldn't go. Maybe next year.

• 5 months later...

Doubt it. Oates is married and Hall was with the same woman for 30 years.

But since you've brought up the live music thread, there's a fun show tonight at the Beta Bar on Railroad and Gaines:

End Of The Year Punk Fest: COUNTY HELL w/ Kid Hart, white Trash Messiahs, Girls On Film, Blue Flame Revival & Sarah Moore - 8pm, $5 over 21, $6 under 21, all ages

Archived