Mechanic/inspection station?

runturtlerun

Hi folks, just wondering if anyone can recommend a good mechanic/inspection station? I took my car to Firestone on North Main Street and get the impression that I may be getting hosed ... they're quoting $1500 in repairs in order to pass the inspection. Yikes. I'd like to a) get my car re-inspected by someone else or b) get a second opinion on the prices for the repairs. Thanks in advance!!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi folks, just wondering if anyone can recommend a good mechanic/inspection station? I took my car to Firestone on North Main Street and get the impression that I may be getting hosed ... they're quoting $1500 in repairs in order to pass the inspection. Yikes. I'd like to a) get my car re-inspected by someone else or b) get a second opinion on the prices for the repairs. Thanks in advance!!

I had a very good experience just today at BTS Tire & Service at 113 Broadway. It's not much to look at but inside it's clean and there's a nice waiting area. He took me in for an inspection immediately and had my car done in about an hour. He seemed on the up and up and very friendly. The station is also aaa recommended and you can download coupons on their site if you are a member.

Thanks all for the replies and suggestions. Does anyone know how these inspections work? i.e. could I take my car to another place to be inspected before the 30-day period is up? Or is the report in some computer system that will just get pulled up by the next inspector? Are the state inspectors really independent? I know I have some work to do on the car, but I am really hoping that it's not as much as the Firestone people say. Ouch! Thanks again.

Thanks all for the replies and suggestions. Does anyone know how these inspections work? i.e. could I take my car to another place to be inspected before the 30-day period is up? Or is the report in some computer system that will just get pulled up by the next inspector? Are the state inspectors really independent? I know I have some work to do on the car, but I am really hoping that it's not as much as the Firestone people say. Ouch! Thanks again.

Archived