Apple iPhone

Neo

With all of the hype I of course couldn't stay out of it. How many of you plan to purchase an iPhone when it comes out or shortly after? What are your thoughts on this new piece of gadgetry? Does it live up to the hype?

Apple is known for some ground breaking products but they're also known for some floundering products too (Newton & Lisa). How will the iPhone hold up to the hype from the media and from Apple itself?

Personally I am a Verizon Wireless customer though I came from being a long standing Cingular Wireless (and Bellsouth) customer. The reason for the switch? I wanted great connectivity in more remote areas and Cingular's customer service took the whole cake so I decided to go elsewhere.

Does the $50/month minimum service plan or the $500 cost for the iPhone itself with a two year committment scare you or will you embrace the cost for this magnificent piece of technology?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When they tried to demonstrate this phone on NBC's Today show, Meredith Vieira could not figure out how to answer a call from fellow co-host Matt Laurer. An embarrassment for sure for Apple who participated in the carefully staged but live performance to hype the product. It was amusing to watch. The only thing they managed to show was a shirtless photo of Matt Laurer taken in 1987 as the "advanced form of caller-ID" on the phone.

I wonder if NBC will put this video online?

I am not sure about technical achievement as I understand the phone is getting lukewarm reception overseas since it lacks many of the features their phones have ad for years. (I believe this phone was developed and manufactured in Korea for the American market.)

One of the shows on NPR the other day had their tech guru test the phone out. His biggest complaint was the coverage and verrrrry slow internet when in certain areas. He did say it was worth the money though because of all the different devices that are wrapped up into one.

I will certainly not buy one because I dont have a need for it. But I must say, it sure is pretty :)

One of the shows on NPR the other day had their tech guru test the phone out. His biggest complaint was the coverage and verrrrry slow internet when in certain areas. He did say it was worth the money though because of all the different devices that are wrapped up into one.

It has been noted on numerous blogs and websites that the EDGE (AT&T's broadband network) service has significantly increased in speed from somewhere around 5k/sec to 19k-27k/sec so this should alleviate the speed issues for the most part. AT&T had previously said that it would beef up speeds on the EDGE network and it seems that they have done just that.

The coverage sucking is just part of AT&T in certain areas of course. I chose Verizon Wireless for that reason after being disappointed with Cingular's lack of coverage in more remote areas.

Nope. I don't want one. It is just like the Razr phone crazy back in '05, everybody run and get one then find out the thing is either too easily broken or able to malfunction. Also I hate AT&T, so would waste a dime on their wireless service.

^Same here. It looks and sounds like a really cool gadget, but none of its features are worth $500 or $600, plus a $50+ bill. The internet browser looks great, and I'd like the idea of truly combining my iPod and cell phone, but again, not worth that kind of money.

^Same here. It looks and sounds like a really cool gadget, but none of its features are worth $500 or $600, plus a $50+ bill. The internet browser looks great, and I'd like the idea of truly combining my iPod and cell phone, but again, not worth that kind of money.

I would love to have one, but for me it is too cost prohibitive, and our AT&T mobile service is very shoddy here. It certainly is a very high quality phone from the looks of it. Somehow I get this gnawing feeling and a reminder not to put all my eggs in one basket when I think about the iPhone.

I've been waiting for this thing ever since mid-2006 when rumors started to grow significantly that Apple was introducing one in January of '07. Today I went out and tried one at the AT&T store and must say that it is very awesome! I plan on getting one at the end of September to see if there are any problems with it and if it is still worth getting. The $600 price (I like the extra space) is very steep for me but since I don't have that many songs on iTunes (about 600) and don't look on adding that many more in the future, this will be an iPod replacement for me. I will be replacing my U2 iPod that I got in the end of 2004 and my Motorola Razr that I got in 2005.

I would probably buy one if it wasn't for it just being available from AT&T. The majority of friends and business associates use Verizon and that drove my decision to use Verizon as well (plus I get up to 30% discounts since where I work uses them too!) So, I guess I'll get to envy the folks who have the iPhone.

Went and tried one out today and I was completely impressed! It is much smaller than I had originally thought but the features made up for that. At first I had a lot of trouble with the typing but got the hang of it after only about 5 minutes. The ability to pinch your away around the internet is amazing and is the best web experience I've ever had on a phone. Apple has outdone themselves!

^I'm sticking with my Treo too, at least through the 18 months left on my Verizon contract. Replacements for the Palm OS software that I've used for years aren't available on the iPhone, at least not yet. The deal breaker for me is that, unlike Treos and Blackberrys, one cannot synchronize categories from Microsoft Entourage or Outlook notes or tasks onto the iPhone.

Actually Steve Jobs announced in the keynote that since the iPhone runs Mac OS X, every time there is an update for the software iPhone will be able to download it. iPhone also syncs your contacts and calendar from Outlook or Entourage.

Here was some text from an e-mail Apple sent me regarding the iPhone:

Contacts Making a call with iPhone is as simple as tapping a name. You won't need to re-enter all your contacts because iPhone syncs with the address book you already use on your computer-Address Book or Entourage on a Mac, or Outlook or Outlook Express on a PC. If you keep your contacts on the web using Yahoo! Address Book, iPhone can sync with them, too. To get ready for iPhone, organize your contacts in one of these applications and make sure they're up to date with the latest phone numbers and email addresses. If you don't have contacts on your computer, don't worry. You can still enter them directly into iPhone.

Contacts Using its built-in calendar, iPhone lets you check your appointments with the flick of a finger. iPhone uses iTunes to sync with the calendar application you already use on your computer-iCal or Entourage on the Mac, or Outlook on a PC-just like it does with your contacts. If you don't already use one of these applications to manage your appointments, now is a great time to start, so you'll be ready to sync when your iPhone arrives. If you choose not to use a calendar program, that's OK. You'll be able to enter appointments directly into the iPhone calendar.

Email iPhone is the first phone to come with a desktop-class email application. So now your phone can display rich HTML email with graphics and photos alongside the text. iPhone will even fetch your latest email every time you open the application and automatically retrieve your email on a set schedule, just like a computer does. iPhone works with the most popular email systems-including Yahoo! Mail, Gmail, AOL, and .Mac Mail. If you're not already using one of these services, now would be a great time to get an account. iTunes will make email setup on iPhone a breeze by automatically syncing the settings from email accounts stored in Mail on a Mac or Outlook on a PC. Don't worry if you're not on one of these email services; iPhone also works with almost any industry-standard POP3 and IMAP email system.

Photos iPhone has a 2-megapixel camera and a gorgeous 3.5-inch display, so it's a great way to enjoy and show off your digital photos. iPhone uses iTunes to sync your photos from iPhoto on a Mac or Adobe Photoshop Elements, Adobe Photoshop Album, or any picture folder on a PC. You can carry thousands of photos on iPhone, but you can start by creating an album or two with 50 to 100 of your favorite photos, so that when you first sync your iPhone, you'll be ready to quickly show off some of your best shots.

• 3 weeks later...

I spent some time fiddling around with an iPhone at an Apple Store this week, and, man, these things are pretty slick. Everything about it seemed polished and well thought out. I'm not ditching my Verizon contract yet, but I'm definitely waiting to see how the iPhone evolves over the next year and a half or so.

• 3 months later...

I have been so fed up with my new phone with Verizon (KRZR) with battery life that I decided to visit the local Apple store Saturday morning and pick up an iPhone. Now that the price of the 8GB version has dropped to $400 that certainly helped my decision along. I've been playing with it non-stop and the call quality (talking and listening) is amazing for both parties in the conversation. This is by FAR the easiest and best cell phone AND PDA I've ever owned. I'm slowly converting my life from PC to Mac as my primary machine at home is a Mac laptop. Unfortunately my day job requires the PC environment but that certainly hasn't stopped my love for Apple products in my personal life.

For those of you split on the decision of whether or not the Apple iPhone is worth the money, I want to say that it most certainly is (as long as you actually have a need for an all-in-one device like this). Battery life also lives up to expectations. This is by far the best investment I've made all year.

Now, I'm going to do some studying to see how I can iPhonize the UP site. :P

Hey Neo, something I'm curious about is the iPhone's durability. Is it solid and well made? Easily scratched?

I ask because I'm now seriously considering buying an iPhone, but I'd like to know if it can handle a drop, and if it scratches easily in your pocket like every iPod I've owned.

Archived