Apple iPhone

Neo

Hey Neo, something I'm curious about is the iPhone's durability. Is it solid and well made? Easily scratched?

I ask because I'm now seriously considering buying an iPhone, but I'd like to know if it can handle a drop, and if it scratches easily in your pocket like every iPod I've owned.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey Neo, something I'm curious about is the iPhone's durability. Is it solid and well made? Easily scratched?

I ask because I'm now seriously considering buying an iPhone, but I'd like to know if it can handle a drop, and if it scratches easily in your pocket like every iPod I've owned.

Well, I can't say if it would take a drop or not and be ok. I wouldn't freak out if I dropped it on carpet or from a few inches on my desk, but I'm not about to let it drop onto the concrete sidewalk from a few feet. It is heavier than one would think and because of this it really does seem well made, almost like a rock (a nice looking rock). The screen is glass unlike my iPod (I have a 30gb video iPod my wife got me earlier this year). I do have a scratch proof laminate on my iPod, but I don't plan on getting one for my new iPhone. From what I've read the iPhone by nature is very durable and won't scratch in your pocket. Just don't put it into the same pocket you carry your sand or rocks in and you'll be ok. :P

It is by far the best device I've had like this. I've bookmarked dozens of sites that offer iPhone versions available that I frequent and having the ability to have a nice big screen to check my e-mail on at any time or surf the web is beyond great. The Internet browser really is as good as any desktop version and the usability is amazing. I know that $400 is steep for some, but if you can afford it an the $60/month service plan then by all means go for it.

I was planning on getting the iPhone but realized it didn't have everything I wanted like 3G, ability to add third party applications, and a solid organizing/e-mail PDA.

While the EDGE network isn't as speedy as some would like, for e-mail, browsing of iPhone customized sites, etc. it holds up very well. I was in a location yesterday with my wife and I had no wi-fi connection but had cell phone reception and it really wasn't that bad, especially e-mail use. The ability to add third party applications will come in February of 2008 when Apple is set to release the newly announced SDK for the iPhone.

I really don't think there is an issue with the e-mail function or organizing function of the iPhone. I've had a Dell Axim x50v since it was released to the market and the iPhone seems to hold up very well (and even better in terms of viewing e-mail correctly, especially HTML e-mails).

Archived