What Cell Phone Provider Do You Have?

fsubelch

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll be the bad cop for the sake of conversation! :D

See I think these new cell phone products are gimmicks. Moreover, I'm simply not willing to spend the type of money they want for these things and probably not use it beyond a year or two, when the next gimmick will likely be released. I know I have old fashioned tendencies, but I also like to think of myself as one who is current with technology, and there are certain things I refuse to waste money on, an iPhone is at the top of the list. A phone should be small, fit snug to my ear and get good reception! Not do all the music listening/movie watching/web surfing! That's what's wrong with America today, everybody wants to be a "007".

I'll be the bad cop for the sake of conversation! :D

See I think these new cell phone products are gimmicks. Moreover, I'm simply not willing to spend the type of money they want for these things and probably not use it beyond a year or two, when the next gimmick will likely be released. I know I have old fashioned tendencies, but I also like to think of myself as one who is current with technology, and there are certain things I refuse to waste money on, an iPhone is at the top of the list. A phone should be small, fit snug to my ear and get good reception! Not do all the music listening/movie watching/web surfing! That's what's wrong with America today, everybody wants to be a "007".

On Edit: I would never tell anyone to go out and get Verizon b/c my like for them isn't that strong, but I would recommend strongly to folks to not get Nextel. Our bill w/two phones actually has gone down w/Verizon over the same plan we had w/Nextel. I'm not sure if that would be the case for everyone. We don't have a home phone, so I'm on the ton-o-minutes plan.

For whatever it's worth, right now I have the cheap LG cell phone that Alltel practically gives away to customers which takes about 2 minutes to "boot up" and doesn't have bells & whistles. Eventually I want to upgrade but not to one of those overpriced cell phones with all those touch screen gimmicks.

Basically what I will look into a cell phone is the following:

4) a phone to make phone calls (duh!)

That's about it. No games, no mp3's, no videos, no internet connect. I neither need nor desire any of those things.

Hey Grand-Master, if Verizon is on your worst list (and I understand it's subjective) then Nextel has got to be there too. I think my like for Verizon stems from my hatred of Nextel while under their contract for two years.

Two tin cans connected by string are more reliable and have better quality IMHO than Nextel.....and oh how I loathe to hear folks in public having a long conversation on their walkie-talkie function.

And Rachiroo I'm happy to see you understand about traveling w/tons of electronic devices and especially their cords/headphones etc. I too have a nifty lap-top bag and a messenger bag I carry on travels w/me, so there is enough room for all this stuff. It's just a hassle to keep up w/all of them and their accessories. I'm always in fear of leaving my lap-top cord or cell phone charger behind in a hotel room.

With the desired features in a cell phone, any specific suggestions? And I know this is a dumb question but I've never gotten around to asking someone at Alltel -- if someone gives me a cell phone as a gift or if I buy one myself, can Alltel configure it to work with their system? I'm almost positive they can, but never needed to do it.

I have AT&T. I'm not a fan in particular, but they've only screwed me out of around $700 in inaccurate overage charges over the years. They're the only carrier I've ever had and I'm not dedicated enough to research and find a new plan. Verizon has always seemed too expensive for me.

I have AT&T. I'm not a fan in particular, but they've only screwed me out of around $700 in inaccurate overage charges over the years. They're the only carrier I've ever had and I'm not dedicated enough to research and find a new plan. Verizon has always seemed too expensive for me.

Yes, Att i had my fair share of problems with all, when they merged from att wireless to cingular Horibble service i had with them.... and thats why i left, but you see, i should have said all carriers are evil but these are the least evil of the big ones.

Reasons.

Best GSM Carrier is ATT, why..... have a 3g network.... Have best phone selection... Have a good footprint, T-mobile has horrible coverage and it doesnt penetrate building likes 850 mhz...

Best CDMA Carrier, Sprint... Cheapest Plans, Roam free of all other CDMA carriers, Verizon Alltel, etc...

I roam so much these days... I'm so glad I have the Nationwide No Roaming No Long distance on my plan.

Nice piece of knowledge TD! I'm very impressed. :D

To piggy back off of your question, can I buy a phone from e-bay and avoid that service charge to program it to my Sprint Network?

Haha, if Poonther knows who he is then you have no excuse FL! :)

I was making the assumption based on your age and existence on the planet earth, like poonther. Kanye has been pretty much unavoidable in the last few months.

Anyway, the lyrics from his current single are what made me chuckle, here is the chorus, then I'll stop with the off-topicness! :offtopic:

Stronger- Kanye West:

"Th-th-that that don't kill me

Can only make me stronger

I need you to hurry up now

Cause I can't wait much longer

I know I got to be right now

Cause I can't get much wronger

Man I been waitin' all night now

That's how long I've been on ya"

Are you picking on me and telling me my opinion is wrong? ;) (j/k)

Here's all I know as a simple man and a simple user of Nextel. I left their service only 6 months ago. My calls were consistently dropped between Boca and Ft. Lauderdale on I-95. I had trouble getting service in several areas of the Bay Area of CA including parts of the City (SF.) I had no service from twenty miles out of Tally to about twenty miles before Panama City. In Mexico Beach where my parents live I had to stand outside to have good connection. Now none of this happens w/Verizon, so for me in my tiny little world and what is important to me in that tiny little world, Verizon is a better choice. I find cell phone use like many things in life to be very subjective and based on the needs and demands of the user. So neither of us or anyone on this subject will be right or wrong.

Archived