Vanderbilt Development

elguapo731

Was working on a project for Vandy Medical Center, an internal project, and they went over their development plan for the next few years. The plan involved some basic prestage renderings of basically nice looking square and rectangular buildings but I can tell you there were multiple mid-rise and what appeared to be two highrise buildings. They went over what all the buildings would be but I dont remember them all. I do remember them saying one would be a new addition to the childrens center as they already have a need for it despite it just opening. Another was an all womens medical tower.

Also talked about was the plan over at 100 Oaks. Currently they are leasing or will lease 465,000 square feet of the facility with the current owner agreeing to help spruce it up. They said the lease would eventually turn into a purchase of the entire site, all 500+ acres or however big it is. I know it started with a 5.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 100 Oaks site in question is approximately 57 acres.

The reason behind the leasing of the mall is to relieve current and future overcrowding by moving many specialty clinics there away from the main hospital campus, on which the hospital is projected to expand to as many as 1000 rooms. There's just not room for everything. The mall structure seems a practical choice in both convenience and economics.

As I understand their rationale, traffic congestion is already too bad around campus, and their expansion plans with community outreach (and the accompanying traffic) would apparently be better served in the 100 Oaks area. I heard they're going to put a huge chunk of money into phase I of 100 Oaks ($35 million).

Elguapo, did you happen to notice if VUMC North (the older buildings on 21st Ave) are going to stay put? I sure hope they don't demolish those buildings as they have a lot of character that the newer buildings around it do not have.

I know the large 8 story building that had the barber shop in it is slated to be torn down and a large courtyard is to be put in that place. At least a green area. I think the building is known as the Medical Arts building. I have searched the Vandy web site for future campus construction with out any luck. This will more than likely have to come from someone in the know at Vandy. I sure would like to get my hands on the long range plans for a look see.

Too many buildings, too many names. Where am I again????? :wacko:

I have once again tried to find information concerning future projects and all I can come up with are current projects. The largest is going to be the 11 story build out of the emergency dept, so there should be a crane there for sometime to come.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Yeah, smeagolsfree, I was wondering the same a few months back when I saw all the activity. I still have a multitude of pics to put up! They are adding on to the parking garage at the VA. I posted it somewhere, but I forgot. Check the crane thread, I think I've might have put it there.

Normally there is a construction update at Vandy but I don't see the VA mentioned anywhere. I don t know if this would be considered a federal project or not considering it is on the Vandy campus.

I have friends that work there and will ask how high it will go but from the look of the crane they are going to add at least 8 to 10 floors.

• 7 months later...

I know people may be disappointed this is moving from urban to suburban, but I look at it as a strong connection between Nashville (Vanderbilt's main campus and hospitals) and Franklin/Brentwood/Cool Springs which will spur mass transit development.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20120309/WILLIAMSON01/303090055/Vanderbilt-University-Medical-Center-build-7-6M-drug-lab-Cool-Springs?odyssey=tab{sodEmoji.|}topnews{sodEmoji.|}text{sodEmoji.|}News

From the article for archival purposes:

FRANKLIN — The fight against Parkinson’s disease and Alzheimer’s has a new home in Cool Springs.

Vanderbilt University Medical Center will consolidate its Center for Neuroscience Drug Discovery with a new $7.6 million, 18,000-square-foot laboratory in the Cool Springs Life Sciences Center off Nichol Mill Lane, school officials announced Thursday. The existing neuroscience center operates on the VUMC campus and also has space at the Life Sciences Center.

Becoming a haven for scientific research has always been the goal of the Cool Springs Life Sciences Center, though progress has been slower than some would have hoped since the center’s first, $8 million building opened in 2005. BioMimetic Therapeutics, a company focused on orthopedic therapies, has been the lone tenant on the 15-acre campus west of CoolSprings Galleria.

Vanderbilt’s bigger stake in the project raises the center’s profile while giving VUMC another leg in Williamson County. In 2010, VUMC bought 22 acres along Carothers Parkway near McEwen Drive for a proposed $200 million campus, though no work on that project has begun.

An exact schedule for the lab’s construction in a 90,000-square-foot pharmaceutical manufacturing facility was not announced.

Archived