Impeach Cheney?

Charlotteman

I was against the impeachment of Clinton as I'm against this attempt. Unless you have something as cut and dry as the Nixon break-in, trying to get a conviction in such a highly charged political climate is near impossible. The courts handed down a punishment befitting of Clintons deeds. If Cheney has broken any laws the courts may be the best way to convict him. That may change if something more solid than rhetoric comes out about Cheney. If he has commited any crimes he should suffer the consequences and I hope he does.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^Bush has freely admitted that his actions regarding wiretapping are illegal. By declaring himself unbound by the limits of the Executive branch, Cheney has blatantly violated the Constitution he swore to uphold in his oath of office. This case is even more obvious than the case against Nixon, as there are plenty of recordings of both the president and vice president publicly stating that they are following unconstitutional courses of action.

Let's note that Nixon was never impeached as he resigned from office before being put through this process by Congress. Later Gerald Ford, as president, gave Nixon immunity from any prosecution having to do with the Watergate events and the subsequent attempt to cover it up.

Bush and Cheney have been very diligent and careful to make sure that similar cover-ups can't be traced back to them and the fact that almost all of their minions from the first term have resigned from office plays into that. Also the difference between 1974 and now is that in those days, we had a congress with the backbone to bring charges against the President. These days, the Democratic party is still to scared to take on a task such as this. They have sold out to the corporations just like the Republicans and hence are afraid that an impeachment would hurt their own standings.

It really is a sad day in the world of politics because many people have drawn up papers for the impeachment of Cheney (and Bush I might add) but the Democratic party doesn't want to follow through with them because of a fear they might lose the '08 election over the hearings. <_<

Archived