Music Best ofs and Boxsets

Cadeho

Sometimes I wonder who decides what songs end up on compilations. They can leave off the best songs, the earliest songs, and at times really big hits. Then others don't go in chronological order, I hate these the most because unless you order the songs yourself, if you want to see how the artist's music has progressed, you can't. Then there are some compilations that favor different mixes that are good, but aren't preferred... maybe pput both there. And what about those that include tons of songs from the newest album, leaving off better selections from past albums? Compilations should include every release and popular airplay songs in order of release. Then there are many artists that don't even have them and probably should by now.

Recently I've come across some compilations... or I think they're meant to be, that should be redone properly. Now the music I'm talking about mostly pertains to the R&B/Rap world.

I think R. Kelly has one that is not in order and should have way more songs on it.

Mary J. Blige's needs a do-over, including more songs in order.

I saw a Bobby Brown best of or definitive collection that really didn't define him.

Ten years ago, a Tony Toni Ton

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This isn't just about R&B and rap... when it comes to caompilations.

If I could change the title maybe I'd go with Random Thoughts about Music.

What's a favorite song to turn the volume up on in the car? I have two Stevie Wonder songs, "Another Star" and "Superstition."

It's always struck me that best-of's often leave out one or two of the hits, to keep people from being able to get everything in one place. 'The Boulevard' - one of Jackson Browne's finest songs; not on his best of.

And the terms "best of" and "greatest hits" are pretty vague - you mentioned Stevie Wonder: 'Contusion' and 'Another Star' are both among his greatest, but (correct me if I'm wrong) they haven't popped up on any compilation I've yet run across. Ditto for R.E.M.'s 'Life And How To Live It', or David Bowie's 'Stay.' I can think of several artists - Elton John, Steely Dan, Fleetwood Mac all immediately spring to mind - where their "Greatest Hits" discs make them seem far duller than they actually are - all three of those artists often snuck all sorts of cool and odd things (some of which is their "best" stuff) onto varied albums, which remains where you will have to go to find them.

It's always struck me that best-of's often leave out one or two of the hits, to keep people from being able to get everything in one place. 'The Boulevard' - one of Jackson Browne's finest songs; not on his best of.

And the terms "best of" and "greatest hits" are pretty vague - you mentioned Stevie Wonder: 'Contusion' and 'Another Star' are both among his greatest, but (correct me if I'm wrong) they haven't popped up on any compilation I've yet run across. Ditto for R.E.M.'s 'Life And How To Live It', or David Bowie's 'Stay.' I can think of several artists - Elton John, Steely Dan, Fleetwood Mac all immediately spring to mind - where their "Greatest Hits" discs make them seem far duller than they actually are - all three of those artists often snuck all sorts of cool and odd things (some of which is their "best" stuff) onto varied albums, which remains where you will have to go to find them.

Archived