Efforts at Book-Cadillac Push On

Allan

Efforts at Book-Cadillac Push On

Story by Kate Campbell / May 6, 2004

cadillac.gif

Despite a small accidental fire at Detroit's Book-Cadillac Hotel on April 22, the building's large-scale renovation has not been delayed. The hotel, currently abandoned, will likely be transformed into a hotel/apartment complex, a plan that may help slow the city's trickle of residents relocating to homes outside the city limits.

If the city's negotiations with development firm Ferchill Group are successful, the hotel, which welcomed guests from 1924 to 1984, will reopen within 2 years, with 500 hotel rooms and 70 apartments. A 2002 study of Detroit settlement patterns by Zimmerman/Volk Associates, Inc., a New Jersey-based urban planning firm, revealed that the city lost more than 10 percent of its households from 1990 to 2000. The study also indicated that downtown Detroit's infrastructure could handle an increase of 300 housing units per year to attract new residents.

Preservation efforts began for the hotel in 2002 when a structural analysis confirmed the building's soundness.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The study also indicated that downtown Detroit's infrastructure could handle an increase of 300 housing units per year to attract new residents.

what the hell does this sentence mean?

i guess its a good thing, but infrastructure? what are they talking about? water, sewage, roads?

I have seen the actual report the sentence is refering to, and it says that downtown can support 300 new housing units each year. I'm not sure why the word "infrastructure" is even in that sentence though. LOL.

Archived