Major attractions in Memphis

Memphis77

First of all, let me say that I am new here and I find this site really cool to be able to keep up with what's going on in Memphis. I don't live there anymore and miss it badly. However I do have a question to ask, I felt that this was the best place to ask.

Why has Memphis never tried to get a Six Flags or major amusement park to come there? I know about the one time Libertyland. But that was very small compared to Six Flags or even Dollywood which continues to grow. I would love to see Memphis get some type of major attraction there that would bring tourists from all over the world. I know about Graceland too. And that is about to make a major change and expand from what has been reported through the media. But that's a home of a famous resident and icon. Not an amusement park with first class thrill rides, shows or adventurous attractions. Memphis needs something like a mid-south Disney theme attraction or a Six Flags type. Almost all major US cities have some type of adventurous themed attraction to bring outsiders to their cities and in the process brings in mroe money. Why not Memphis? When Opryland went broke, you would have thought Memphis city officials would have jumped on board to buy up some of the rides and expand Libertyland into the states new theme attraction. But that was not the case.

I have heard rumors, just rumors that in those expansion plans for Graceland may include some type of theme park in Whitehaven. But where on earth would one fit that would be close enough from walking distance to Graceland? Now that Libertyland is closed down for good and it now that awful Joy Land idea fell through (thank God, that was a joke and a half plan to fill Libertyland's space), there's not any adventurous attractions in Memphis at all for families to take their kids. The Zoo wouldn't qualify since it's well.....a zoo.

I liked the idea proposal of turning the Pyramid (my favorite all time attraction in Memphis) into an indoor theme park. Why the city and mayor don;t jump on this idea is beyond me. Why on earth would they want a big fish tale on the side of the pyramid? Such a beautifully unique creation by man as it is.

Anyway, I feel that an amusement park the size of Six Flags or bigger even would benefit the Memphis economy and strengthen it. A major attraction like that would bring in more jobs, and tourism at a new level for the city, IMO. I love Elvis and what he meant and still does to the city and the world. But I am tired of hearing "all that is in Memphis is Elvis and Graceland". Graceland needs to have some type of competition which in the long run only betters the city financially and economically. Just look what Disney has done for the entire Middle Florida region (minus the crime in the city). They now have the Christian network, TBN associated with Disney in a new attraction there called The Holy Land Experience. They have ventured out from Epcot center to other major attractions. That could be Memphis someday.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think something like that would most likely be in DeSoto County. Second likeliest place would be in northeast Shelby county off of I-40.

I really haven't kept up with all the new megadevelopments in DeSoto, but I seem to recall something like that in the works, though I might be thinking of the Myriad deal.

First of all, let me say that I am new here and I find this site really cool to be able to keep up with what's going on in Memphis. I don't live there anymore and miss it badly. However I do have a question to ask, I felt that this was the best place to ask.

Why has Memphis never tried to get a Six Flags or major amusement park to come there? I know about the one time Libertyland. But that was very small compared to Six Flags or even Dollywood which continues to grow. I would love to see Memphis get some type of major attraction there that would bring tourists from all over the world. I know about Graceland too. And that is about to make a major change and expand from what has been reported through the media. But that's a home of a famous resident and icon. Not an amusement park with first class thrill rides, shows or adventurous attractions. Memphis needs something like a mid-south Disney theme attraction or a Six Flags type. Almost all major US cities have some type of adventurous themed attraction to bring outsiders to their cities and in the process brings in mroe money. Why not Memphis? When Opryland went broke, you would have thought Memphis city officials would have jumped on board to buy up some of the rides and expand Libertyland into the states new theme attraction. But that was not the case.

I have heard rumors, just rumors that in those expansion plans for Graceland may include some type of theme park in Whitehaven. But where on earth would one fit that would be close enough from walking distance to Graceland? Now that Libertyland is closed down for good and it now that awful Joy Land idea fell through (thank God, that was a joke and a half plan to fill Libertyland's space), there's not any adventurous attractions in Memphis at all for families to take their kids. The Zoo wouldn't qualify since it's well.....a zoo.

I liked the idea proposal of turning the Pyramid (my favorite all time attraction in Memphis) into an indoor theme park. Why the city and mayor don;t jump on this idea is beyond me. Why on earth would they want a big fish tale on the side of the pyramid? Such a beautifully unique creation by man as it is.

Anyway, I feel that an amusement park the size of Six Flags or bigger even would benefit the Memphis economy and strengthen it. A major attraction like that would bring in more jobs, and tourism at a new level for the city, IMO. I love Elvis and what he meant and still does to the city and the world. But I am tired of hearing "all that is in Memphis is Elvis and Graceland". Graceland needs to have some type of competition which in the long run only betters the city financially and economically. Just look what Disney has done for the entire Middle Florida region (minus the crime in the city). They now have the Christian network, TBN associated with Disney in a new attraction there called The Holy Land Experience. They have ventured out from Epcot center to other major attractions. That could be Memphis someday.

Archived