Nordstrom

ATLBrain

Nashville will get a Nordstrom. I live in Huntsville, but I truly believe Nashville will come out very well in time. The Mall at Green Hills WILL get a high-end dept store. Nordstrom gives that same "stock" response to anyone who emails. If you pester them enough (because I root for you guys too), as I have, they tell you that they are highly interested in Nashville. Plus, Karen Land, of Davis Street, nearly confirmed an announcement was looming.

I enjoy shopping in Birmingham too though. The one thing you guys do not have in your favor is that their Galleria is owned by General Growth, and yours is owned by CBL. CBL runs the malls here in Huntsville, and I could not think less of them as a company. Nashville's Galleria should be way more than what it is. Way more. Way way more. Our one mall is a total joke (Madison Square) that it's not even funny anymore, and Parkway Place is already heading that way. They do not have the power or the management skills to attract and retain quality retail. Look at their lineup of malls and look at General Growth's. Look at what General Growth considers a renovation and what CBL considers one. The differences are profound. I hope for you all that Simon Properties or General Growth ends up controlling your Galleria somehow.

As far as stores, I would be tickled if you could get a Club Monaco, Ralph Lauren, Crate and Barrel, and any of the high-end dept stores.

Davis Street is a quality company though. Have patience. Again, look at their lineup of malls. I'm from St Louis originally, and they have a great property there with Saks and Neiman. It's a gorgeous, elegant mall too. HOWEVER, i would take The Mall at Green Hills anyday because it's a MUCH better mix of stores. MUCH. There are space limitations there, but they will work it out. It is already something you can be very proud of. To me, it's the most convenient, one-stop place already out of what our offerings are in Tennessee or Alabama.

You'll get a Nordstrom. You'll probably get a Neiman too. (Saks' smaller stores are about useless anyway. If you already have access to Burberry, Louis, Lacoste (as you do or will given the recent announcements at Green Hills), the limited selection at those Saks stores is just duplication of the full-line boutiques...big whoop) If you could only somehow kick CBL out of town, you'd be able to get about anything. :) I HATE CBL.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Burberry is coming to Green Hills. It will be taking the space vacated by Brooks Bros (moving to a new space). Banana Republic is also moving to a bigger space as well as anotehr store but that escapes me at the moment...

I would prefer that Nordstrom build their fisrt store here downtown and then Lord and Taylor should really consider a few select markets on the East (such as Nashville) to open a store downtown. Nordstrom is a draw, we need that downtown. Not to mention all of these people who are supposedly buying condos downtown are the exact demographic that Nordstrom wants.

Whole Foods should open a second store downtown/gulch as well.

As far a Green Hills goes... macy's should really be morphed into a bloomingdale's (same parent company) but we already know that company is not smart enough to see the potential. Macy's Green Hills does not carry any real assortment of higher-end goods. The store is a complete disappointment.

Also, Gus Mayer should look to copy its Birmingham store in Nashville and carry men's too. Gus Mayer has an established name here so why not go for more?

that's an excellent point memphian. I would much rather have a Nordstrom's in downtown Nashville rather than Green Hills. That is an incredible draw to downtown, and another incentive for people to buy condos. Green Hills is getting too congested IMO, so I hope a downtown location would happen.

Burberry is coming to Green Hills. It will be taking the space vacated by Brooks Bros (moving to a new space). Banana Republic is also moving to a bigger space as well as anotehr store but that escapes me at the moment...

I would prefer that Nordstrom build their fisrt store here downtown and then Lord and Taylor should really consider a few select markets on the East (such as Nashville) to open a store downtown. Nordstrom is a draw, we need that downtown. Not to mention all of these people who are supposedly buying condos downtown are the exact demographic that Nordstrom wants.

Whole Foods should open a second store downtown/gulch as well.

As far a Green Hills goes... macy's should really be morphed into a bloomingdale's (same parent company) but we already know that company is not smart enough to see the potential. Macy's Green Hills does not carry any real assortment of higher-end goods. The store is a complete disappointment.

Also, Gus Mayer should look to copy its Birmingham store in Nashville and carry men's too. Gus Mayer has an established name here so why not go for more?

I'm in Chicago right now at the Hilton downtown that is connected to Nordstrom. My sales taxes dollars will be going to Chicago this weekend for stuff I can't get in Nashville. Plus, there are a whole bunch of stores here Nashville doesn't have. I think there is a secret plot with Southwest to keep Nordy's out so people keep flying SWA

How about a Neiman Marcus for Nashville. Speculation is that they will be here before Nordstrom. I guess we will have to wait and see. Someone will locate at GH Mall. They mall is not buying up land all around the property for nothing. If you look at the design of that mall there is a big hole at one end for another anchor tenant. Who ever that tenants is, I would bet they will be upscale.

How about a Neiman Marcus for Nashville. Speculation is that they will be here before Nordstrom. I guess we will have to wait and see. Someone will locate at GH Mall. They mall is not buying up land all around the property for nothing. If you look at the design of that mall there is a big hole at one end for another anchor tenant. Who ever that tenants is, I would bet they will be upscale.

It is quite odd how certain retailers keep by-passing Nashville. Honestly, I think if we did land a Nordstrom or Neimans it would be a much smaller store than most people are imagining. These companies don't get really excited about or build houses of fashion worship for smaller markets like Nashville. It would be stocked with rather dowdy fashions geared more for the conservative crowd. I would not expect to be wowed or to become a regular shopper even though if I lived in L.A., Chicago or even Atlanta I would be.

I say we'd get stores similar to the ones in CLT or BHM. From what I have read... these stores are nice to have and sure you can drop the name of shopping there but in the end if you wanted something edgy, hip or even young you'd probably still need a trip to Chicago.

What we need is one really good hometown store. Who cares where the clothes came from if they're good quality and fashionable. National retail outlets can't be nimble enough for individual markets.

Archived