Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

monsoon

South 21 Drive In Closing

10 posts in this topic

After more than 50 years of operating in the same location, and having some of the best food in Charlotte, the South 21 Drive In is closing. :(

This was a truely Charlotte unique place and many people from out of town, that were in the know, would specifically go there for the coleslaw, onion rings (best I have ever had), and other curb service food. It will be missed. The owner says the disruptions caused by the light rail construction have caused his business to drop off. I wonder how long it will be until it is replaced by some chain restaurant.

Ah this is real sad......I ate at South 29 as many times as I could, when I visited Charlotte. Excellent food----it will be missed.

I still remember those days where we would eat at South-21 Drive In, and then go across the street to the Queens Park Drive In to watch a movie.

Truly a real piece of Charlotte nostalgia that will be missed.

Fortunately the other locations -- including the 1955 drive-in on Independence -- are staying open.

This has definitely been a bad year for local restaurants.

I still remember those days where we would eat at South-21 Drive In, and then go across the street to the Queens Park Drive In to watch a movie.

Truly a real piece of Charlotte nostalgia that will be missed.

I thought the place was kinda run-down, and the food wasn't that great. I guess I can't connect with the nostalgia.

Now, if Broasted Chicken on Montford street ever closes ... then I'll be mad!!!

i think mzt is referring to THE ROASTING COMPANY... which is great.

i haven't been to SOUTH 21 in many, many years - i usedto go there with my pops before catching a charlotte o's game. i'm sad it couldn't hang in there. i don't buy the reason they're closing is due to the fact of light rail construction - i would say the honest truth is that a drive in burger joint is dated in many ways... not too mention the competition is getting fierce after decades of having the place pretty much to themselves.

Cinco's right - I meant "Roasting Company". Damn, I eat there too much. Best deal in town though for 3 sides and a cornbread. $4.17, and that includes taxes. :)

The South Blvd. franchise had been in a bad location for years, so if anything the median was just the final straw.

It seems like South Blvd. is a barometer of the city's development, moreso than any other street I can think of.