B'ham New Years' Eve, 4th of July festivities, an untapped tourism market

Blazer85

• 1 year later...

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll start first.

Birmingham seems to be the one of the few Southern cities that doesn't have a major festival or event on the following days that tends to have people want celebrate locally, New Years and the 4th of July. Some of things that I have though of personally is to move City Stages to 4th of July weekend and offer a music festival in addition to the Thunder Over the Mountain fireworks display. This is due to the fact that City Stages has been waning in its overall broad base appeal as the Fathers' Day weekend festival here due to the Boonaroo Music Festival in Manchester, Tennessee. The combination of the City Stages and Thunder Over the Mountain as 2 festivities within the same event would entice more people locally to come to town and more visitors for the 4th of July weekend.

If we finally have the Railroad Reserve Park, particularly the Theater District, around the Downtown area it would be perfect setting for a New Years' Eve event. Maybe a "First Night" like event of sort for families to enjoy all day, and they see fireworks and/or some type of big event build-up at midnight that is seen in other cities downtown areas like Raleigh, Salt Lake City.

:thumbsup:

I'll start first.

Birmingham seems to be the one of the few Southern cities that doesn't have a major festival or event on the following days that tends to have people want celebrate locally, New Years and the 4th of July. Some of things that I have though of personally is to move City Stages to 4th of July weekend and offer a music festival in addition to the Thunder Over the Mountain fireworks display. This is due to the fact that City Stages has been waning in its overall broad base appeal as the Fathers' Day weekend festival here due to the Boonaroo Music Festival in Manchester, Tennessee. The combination of the City Stages and Thunder Over the Mountain as 2 festivities within the same event would entice more people locally to come to town and more visitors for the 4th of July weekend.

If we finally have the Railroad Reserve Park, particularly the Theater District, around the Downtown area it would be perfect setting for a New Years' Eve event. Maybe a "First Night" like event of sort for families to enjoy all day, and they see fireworks and/or some type of big event build-up at midnight that is seen in other cities downtown areas like Raleigh, Salt Lake City.

:thumbsup:

I think the New Year's Eve festival would be a great idea. The climate is much more hospitable than Salt Lake and Raleigh. No where near as cold. Plus, I think that the Birmingham would be competing with Decatur's "Spirit of America Festival". Decatur's always had free festivals, sort of been their thing. They also always have some of the biggest fireworks displays in The Valley. People think, why pay to go to Birmingham when I can go for free in Decatur. Plus, Decatur's much less of a hassle. It's also the largest free 4th of July celebration in the South.

As far as I know, there's no competition for a New Years Eve festival, so, I'm all for that. Probably would be something new to look forward to.

I think the New Year's Eve festival would be a great idea. The climate is much more hospitable than Salt Lake and Raleigh. No where near as cold. Plus, I think that the Birmingham would be competing with Decatur's "Spirit of America Festival". Decatur's always had free festivals, sort of been their thing. They also always have some of the biggest fireworks displays in The Valley. People think, why pay to go to Birmingham when I can go for free in Decatur. Plus, Decatur's much less of a hassle. It's also the largest free 4th of July celebration in the South.

As far as I know, there's no competition for a New Years Eve festival, so, I'm all for that. Probably would be something new to look forward to.

I understand where you are coming from, but I highly doubt people from the Greater Birmingham area or Central Alabama would go to Decatur (unless they have a reason already) just to see free fireworks display on the 4th. Especially when they can see a bigger and free display here.

The fireworks display would still be free here. However, the combination of the City Stages along with the Thunder Over the Mountain would offer visitors a reason to spend the whole 4th of July holiday in the city. There would be music from top artists, fun activities for kids, arts, and still a free view of the state's largest fireworks display.

More people go to the Spirit of America Festival than you'd think. It's really surprising, people from all over North America go every year. After last year's show ended with a shell exploding on the ground, the company that does it every year is promising an even bigger show. So, I don't know if I'd really call either of them better. They're using the most advanced (in the company's opinion) equipment in the world this year. It's had the largest and best display in the Valley. I have no doubt that Birmingham's is much bigger, but, this year (probably only this year) they might be neck and neck in quality.

Lol, I don't doubt it. Like when the Alabama Jubilee rolls around in Decatur, more than half of the attendees are from out of state.

And by the way, the fireworks display at this year's SOA Festival was AMAZING. The best I've ever seen. It was perfect. I wish I could have seen both the one in Decatur and the one in Birmingham.

Archived