Baton Rouge Developbits

dan326

Some people say we here in the B.R. forum get overly excited about every little thing going on in Baton Rouge. Well this thread is devoted especially to that. :D This thread is different from the "Baton Rouge Growth and Development" in that this is for developments considered too small or and trivial or precursors and rumors to bigger projects. To start off the thread I'll posted my last installment of "Developbits" from the "Baton Rouge Growth and Development" and the various bits of info other forum members added.

• Six strip centers going up, 2 on Perkins, 1 on Jefferson, 1 on Airline, 2 in he Inner City
  • A building is going up on Florida relatively near the mall, maybe a restaurant/office :dontknow:
  • A Kia dealrship has started on Siegen near the Clegg's plant nursery
  • A Canes is going up on Sherwood right by the former Pasta Garden
  • Willow Grove 2 has started
  • Drainage/sewage has started on a 210 unit apartment complex on O'Neal
  • The smaller half of the O'Neal film project is has laid down pipes and is possibly starting to build roads
  • A Firestone Auto shop is nearing completion on Siegen
  • The Jones Creek apartment completion is nearing completion, the went up so fast I hope they don't fall down :shok:
  • neighborhoods on Jones Creek,Tiger Bend, Jefferson, and Old Jefferson are popping up like crazy
  • A small medical clinic is being built in the Inner City
  • 2 apartment complexes are going up on Siegen
  • 4 banks are being built on Perkins, I-12(Drussila exit), Jones Creek, Towne Center
  • Land is being clear on Sherwood between Old Hammond/I-12, possibly a Fed Ex distrubution center
  • The former University Inn(Acadian/I-12) will now be a Red Lion hotel
  • River Center expansion with a possible hotel
  • New Orleans businesses scouting B.R. for locations
  • 400 job company coming to B.R.
  • I might hav already mentioned this but th last piece of the Millerville shopping center in under construction
  • The zoo is continuing to expand which is great, I always thought it was kind of pitiful -_-

drew6974

• Land clearing on sherwood forest might be a new $22 million apartment complex that was listed as 2001 Sherwood Forest Blvd
  • All star Toyota on Airline is building a new service facility
  • Royal Nissan is embarking on a 6-7 million expansion across the street on Airline
  • A new Iberville bank on Old Hammond at Airline is going up
  • A sign was put up on the site of the new Starmount insurance Bldg. that's to be built on Goodwood Blvd
  • A new La. Real Estate commission bldg. going up on Interline

fla_tiger

• Starbucks is building a new place on Airline near Harry in front of the Home Depot

byrde

• An old shopping center is being torn down on Plank at Airline Hwy,being replaced with a new shopping center/gas station

Edited by dan326

Good idea Richy. I always had to think about whether a project was worthy enough to be listed on growth and development or even worthy of its own thread. This will be a good place to put those projects that don't qualify as "major" developments but when taken as a whole the BR area is continuing to boom at an unprecedented pace.

Looks like this will be another "developbit" soon.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/police/8257292.html

My apologizes. I meant Dan.

Thanks for taking that cue Dan, your the man :thumbsup: It's getting late, and I'm fading fast, so I'll be back to this new thread. Drew you had that part right, Dan and I are a team ;):lol:

Not sure if all this falls into one category??

*Ivy Park is the name of the fast moving apartment complex on Jones Creek

* GreenTrails and Shenandoah Village going up across the street; Forest Creek has started nearby on Tiger Bend

* Blue Cross (I-10/Bluebonnet) is expanding

* OLOL Hospital is expanding and adding floors to the parking deck off Essen Lane.

* The General at Bluebonnet expansion for now ;complete

* Mid South Bank on Siegen @ Industrialplex; now complete

* Cottages at Southfork has started; Aubin Court nearly finished; Baywood Quarters-nearly finished

* 2 new Neighborhood Wal-Mart Grocery's (Old Hammond near Airline-finished??/ Lee Drive at Highland-now starting/

* 120,000sq.ft' Direct General call center on Florida Blvd. in progress

* "Green Light Plan" new street- Midway Ave. getting right-aways at last City Planning meeting??

* The Boulevard(Mall of La. expansion) continues to go up

* Cambria Suites laying the foundation off Constitution Ave./I-10...still trying to figure out the "sound wall" hiding it; good location??

* I-12/So.Sherwood/So.Harrel's Ferry interesection reconfiguration-complete

* Perkins Palms coming along now

* Coca-Cola new expansion near the Airport

* Mid-city- BRCC Gym/Fitness Center now starting; some nice 3-story apartments going up on the south-end of campus

* The 3-story Enclave near Towne Center went up fast; nearly complete

* Towne Center continuing to expand with Books-A-Million, Banana Republic, others??

* Towne Center business park about to start on new Chase branch; another bank too; and a 2-story office bldg. Omni Bank-now complete

* Lots of land clearing along the R.R. tracksbetween Acadian Thwy. & College Drive

Does anybody know anything about the X-treme Sports Park going up at Olympia Park?? Has it started??

Wonder what will become of the old Coca Cola Plant at I-12/Airline Hwy?? Maybe Celtic Media Center can use the property??

WOW GUYS!!!!! I knew we had alot of development going on in the city but I had no idea about half of those projects. WAY TO GO!!!! Taken alone those projects wouldn't really amount to anything but when you group them all together it shows just how fast the city is growing. I think it's wonderful that for the longest BR was looked at as the sleeply little city down the road from NOLA, now we are showing everyone that we are no longer living in the shadows of NOLA. We are becoming our own!!!!! Now if we could only shed that conservative, close-minded, intolerant mind set we should do just fine and be able to hold our own on the national stage.

And there is plenty more I missed not listed...Like this.... bigger than "developbit" news.

*Smiley Heights maybe the largest (mixed-income) TND for "inner" BR was not mentioned. Over 200 acres that are seen in larger cities like Pittsburgh and St.Louis.

You are right twstndmntd..Baton Rouge has really started to take the next step. People also need to remember BR was turning the corner "before" Katrina. And BR is very unique in it's own way as well.

We have come a long way; but got a long way to go. :thumbsup:

I've got a few bits of info from downtown for ya'll today.

• The new state garage is going up fast. Foundations have been poured and work on upper floors have begun with a huge crane on the site :D
  • As has been stated before a pile of lumber is on the site of RiverPlace. hhuuummmm.... :dontknow:
  • Jutting of the Kress,Levy,&Welsh building continues
  • Lots of people along River Road and Third Street. The planetarium is a definite +

Another rendering of the Kress,Levy,&Welsh building

kressyu0.png

Edited by dan326

I saw new construction this evening on Old Hammond just east of Airline.....

It was after dark so I couldn't read the sign clearly, but it looks to read "Red Stick Lofts".

The design looks similar to those on Nicholson Dr.

Edited by fla_tiger

I saw new construction this evening on Old Hammond just east of Airline.....

It was after dark so I couldn't read the sign clearly, but it looks to read "Red Stick Lofts".

The design looks similar to those on Nicholson Dr.

That area is starting to develop since the five laning of Old Hammond was complete. Airline Highway is starting to develop more since it was six laned.

Edited by drew6974

Nice rendering Dan of the Kress, Levy & Welch bldg; where did you find it??

Yes flatiger that's Red Stick Lofts going up across Old Hammond from the new Wal-Mart Neighborhood Grocery; another large apartment complex is supposed to be built next to the Wal-Mart grocery.

You are right drew, things will pick-up now that Old Hammond Hwy. has been widened that way. Airline Hwy. traffic flow is 100% better now; I used to avoid driving it.

Richy, where is this "Smiley Heights" development for "inner" BR going to be? This is the first I hear of it. With all the upcoming development for downtown, I really hope this brings in some revitalization for the Mid-City area. I know that alot has been done but that whole area needs more. I'd really like to see some clean up and updating for the Florida corridor. That area really looks trashy and run down. Not to mention the area that is bordered by 110, Government, Florida and S. Acadian sure could use ALOT of work. Again it is prime real estate to be letting go to waste. I guess it has that bad reputation, maybe some new blood would help with that department.

This is as good as I could do to show you for now...the neighborhood is Smiley Heights; the development will be called "Arden". It is labeled "TND" outlined in light blue, north of Bonne Carre Business Park: bounded by Lobdell-east; Greenwell Springs-north; Renoir-south; across Ardenwood to Capitol Middle school. Hope this helps.

I labeled some of the developments around BR a few months back, sorry if it's hard to see. Aerial from Sept.06' compliments of fridayinla :thumbsup:

showmetabrowsero7.jpg

[img=http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/5112/phtdevardenlrger3.jpg]

http://www.cprt.com/index.cfm?md=pagebuild...=home&pid=9

200-acres

Designed to address a core need for affordable housing in Baton Rouge

Here's a pic of Arden

I guess this should go under BR Growth & Development??

*I meant to post this above; I am not liking the new Imageshack set up.

phtdevardenlrgnp1.jpg

At this rate I won't be able to post my Natchez pics in the Mississippi Forum <_<

Edited by richyb83

*South of LSU today, I was suprised to see a sign for a 4-story condo "Stadium Club" on East Boyd about a block or two away from Burbank. It looks to be a really nice; set to begin shortly...

* The 5-story Crescent at University Lake is in the stretch run; set to open later in the Fall

* and the Highland Hideaway Townhomes have started construction

The Northgates at Nicholson streetscape is changing...

* The Fieldhouse is looking good and nearing completion

* Directly across the street Victory Commons has revved-up

>Both those projects are right-up against the street

Edited by richyb83

*South of LSU today, I was suprised to see a sign for a 4-story condo "Stadium Club" on East Boyd about a block or two away from Burbank. It looks to be a really nice; set to begin shortly...

* The 5-story Crescent at University Lake is in the stretch run; set to open later in the Fall

* and the Highland Hideaway Townhomes have started construction

The Northgates at Nicholson streetscape is changing...

* The Fieldhouse is looking good and nearing completion

* Directly across the street Victory Commons has revved-up

>Both those projects are right-up against the street

I drove by these two on Sat and that area will be buzz with activity by late August. They look nice.

"As has been stated before a pile of lumber is on the site of RiverPlace"

Dan do you actually mean lumber (as in wood structural members) or other building materials? I can't see where any wood would be used in the structural portion of the building. Foamboard and other aesthetic material would likely be used, as would firerock (sheetrock), and a few other residential-type building materials. When you see steel arrive on the site, get excited because that means without a doubt they're ready to roll.

By the way, Dan, this is an awesome thread! The smaller developments that occur around a city that MOST people in larger cities wouldn't get excited about are things that do tend to excite those of us from smaller cities. At some point someone in those larger cities was getting excited over similar developments at some point in time. It's just that when a city reaches a certain size, these smaller developments go largely unnoticed by the people and all they seem to notice are these huge, mega-projects.

Stay excited about the "small" stuff, man, because it will eventually lead to bigger stuff.

Edited by SBCmetroguy

"As has been stated before a pile of lumber is on the site of RiverPlace"

Dan do you actually mean lumber (as in wood structural members) or other building materials? I can't see where any wood would be used in the structural portion of the building. Foamboard and other aesthetic material would likely be used, as would firerock (sheetrock), and a few other residential-type building materials. When you see steel arrive on the site, get excited because that means without a doubt they're ready to roll.

It was about 3 or 4 stacks rather, each stack had about 20-50?? pieces of cut lumber boards with the wood being about maybe a few inches in with and thickness and about 10-20 feet long, all wrapped in black plastic. So what do you think?

I figured maybe it would be used like this. They will need something to holdup Laffeyette Street and the streets to the left and right as the bottom portion will be nudged into an incline.

113554446_aa9a28b6c9_b.jpg

By the way, Dan, this is an awesome thread! The smaller developments that occur around a city that MOST people in larger cities wouldn't get excited about are things that do tend to excite those of us from smaller cities. At some point someone in those larger cities was getting excited over similar developments at some point in time. It's just that when a city reaches a certain size, these smaller developments go largely unnoticed by the people and all they seem to notice are these huge, mega-projects.

Stay excited about the "small" stuff, man, because it will eventually lead to bigger stuff.

Thanks Brian. :D I guess one of the main reasons I get so excited about everything is that the way I see it, that's one more empty lot filled in and one more amenity we didn't have before. And you're right, one thing leads to another and before you know it ... :D Even when B.R. is a big big city I still think I'll get excited over everything, although I won't be able to keep track of it all. :lol:

Edited by dan326

I agree one more small project means one less empty lot and a little less sprawl. The Arden development seems like a good idea, especially in that area. But isn't that area a little less desireable? I mean when I first moved here I was always told to stay away from the areas north of Florida Blvd. So my concern is what will happen to a development of that nature. Will it become a haven for crime and drugs? Or can they keep it safe and clean? Just a thought.

While it may very well be true, I think it's mainly said that Northern Baton Rouge is a haven for crime & drugs(crack&weed) because it is of a certain demographic. People mainly say that because they haven't mixed with other people and because that's all they show on the news. But does anybody say anything about the pedophiles and drug(cocaine&meth&alcohol) addicts that most likely dot South B.R.? The only difference I think, is that people in North B.R. commit the kind of crimes that are discovered right away, while South B.R. residents perform in secrecy.

Edited by dan326

Perkins Lane planned....more infil, filing in the small spaces as well

Two developers have purchased a nearly 4-acre lot on Perkins Road and have submitted plans to build a 25-townhome subdivision on the site. Lonnie Bickford and Duane Fruge paid $1.475 million for the site, which is between Hood and Stuart avenues, across from the Perkins Road fire station. Plans for Perkins Lane have been submitted to the city-parish Planning Commission and the hope is to go for approval at the end of the month.*compliments to BusinessReport

^ Next to four upscale houses are in a small enclave called Idle Oaks. The spaces are filling up.

The Plantation Inn is currently about 1/2 demolished, it's one big mess. Curious as to what exactly might be built there??

I sure hope Commerce Circle in the Towne Center business park builds offices taller than just two stories. Little bank branches have suddenly popped up (Mid South, Chase) in there right now. Oh yeah... the 4-story Residence Inn too.

I hope Creekstone companies being from Houston has enough sense in the head to connect the new Residence Inn(nearly complete) to the rest of Towne Center.

I was disapionted a few more trees could not be saved for the Lofts at CitiPlace about to begin.

Edited by richyb83