Baton Rouge Developbits

dan326

I read an article today that mentions that the retail sector of the real estate market will at best be a 0 growth area, more likely it will be in a very big decline over the next several years. Many big department stores are expected to go out of business.

I think it's going to be hard for Perkins Rowe and the Mall of Louisiana....fatal for the Cortana Mall. Makes redevelopment pretty unlikely, but I guess we can still hope.

"Bluebonnet Square gets restaurant tenant

Bluebonnet Square, a 42,000-square-foot shopping center at Bluebonnet Boulevard and Airline Highway, has signed another tenant. China One will open a restaurant in the center, along with CC's Community Coffee House, Subway and Elgin's Fine Jewelry, says developer Darren Aschaffenburg. "We're working with a bunch of other tenants," he says. The shutdown in lending and the weak retail market, which has caused companies to close stores instead of open locations, has stifled development of Bluebonnet Square. But Aschaffenburg says once the nearby Party Time store opens in the spring, around the same time as the first tenants in Bluebonnet Square, that should attract more retailers. "We should see leasing ramp up once this national recession abates a little bit," he says. Once the national economy improves and lending picks up, Bluebonnet Square will be well-situated because of its good location and nearby neighborhoods, Aschaffenburg says."

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/daily-report/latest/

• 2 weeks later...

Some nice looking 3-story apartments for northern fringe of Mall City. It's a shame they got murda man graffiti spray painted down the street and all around the hood.

Affordable housing apartment complex opening

Developers of PepperMill Apartments II say the 29-unit affordable housing project north of Florida Boulevard near North Lobdell Drive will hold opening ceremonies Friday.

The complex at 6747 Renoir Ave. was built through a partnership of Metro City Redevelopment Coalition Inc. and AAmagin Property Group LLC, of Baton Rouge. All units will be set aside for tenants with incomes of 50 percent or less of area median income benchmarks. The complex also will offer recovery support services to residents.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/business/39377977.html

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a VERY quick shot from inside my car racing up I-10 over Perkins Road; where the little 3-story mixed-use building is going up at the old Perkins Hardware site(left)....between the Ivar's sign & billboard. The building is so close to the Interstate it almost seems you could jump from the 3rd floor window unto to the bridge itself!

22309023.jpg

The perkins over pass area is coming along and growing really nicely. I like that the new "hardware" store is so tall, it gives a slight feeling of density to the area when driving down the interstate. Im wondering what the price range on those condo units is going to be, since it is so close to the interstate?

Im wondering what the price range on those condo units is going to be, since it is so close to the interstate?

You know what they say.....if you have to ask.....

But I think this area is due for another "Crescent" type of condo when the market rights itself.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

PJ's set to open Essen location

PJ's Coffee of New Orleans is set to open its fifth Baton Rouge location at the end of July. The company has put up signs at the old Starbucks building on Essen Lane, and officials with the coffee chain confirmed the opening. That's just around the corner from one of PJ's newer locations, a shop that opened last summer in the Perkins Palms development.

I saw this on the Coleman Architect's website. I REALLY HOPE THIS PROJECT MOVES FORWARD! I think its a great design for the renovation of the existing building. Very simple, and I really like the new glass curtain wall.

ExteriorRendering.jpg

http://www.cparch.com/c_capital%20one%20office%20bldg.htm

Adaptive reuse of any viable facility is probably the most environmentally responsible design solution for a facility. There is no "greener" solution to urban development than the idea of urban infill or the reuse of existing facilities and infrastructure. It is for this reason our team has focused on the adaptive reuse of the existing facility to upgrade and enhance the fabric of the central business district of Baton Rouge.

The adaptive reuse of the existing facility will require a total transformation of the existing structure. The project will renovate the building into shell-ready space conducive to Class "A" office space. It is anticipated that the first and other lower floors will be renovated to accommodate the needs of Capital One bank. The upper remaining upper floors will be used as office space by the Baton Rouge Area Foundation, Commercial Properties Realty Trust and other office tenants.

Wow! Thanks for locating that buckett! That is exciting :w00t: Nice improvement! I had mentioned a few times here on UP something needed to be done to the 8-story Cap One bldg...glad to see some think it's time for millenium upgrade! The bland/status quo look for the CBD just will not do anymore.

my pic here shows the new paint job in an attempt to improve the exterior northern facade; however how much can you improve that side?? with the 1950's looking element with big bland wall; no windows til' the 5th floor

102008026.jpg

The glass curtain-wall will look great along this west facade facing Third Street....

*Even older pic* Here is part of the Cap One(middle) next to One American Place(left); Commerce bldg(right) could use a serious upgrade too!

71107030.jpg

***Only thing is...with the list of tenants for the upper-floors...the mixed-use project for the old Advocate site seems dead??

Edited by richyb83

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I heard today that the amphitheater at the end of third st is being scrapped. They've already begun designing something else for that site. The amphitheater will become part of Alive

I went to the Alive presentation today which told us nothing we didn't already know. But yes nquint1, you are right, because after the presentation I met Joey Furr, a local landscape architect who was working on the capitol park amphitheater. During our conversation he did say the plans had been scrapped, and it would simply be landscaped. I think its a good alternative, especially if Alive gets the landmark amphitheater we have been presented in the plan.