Baton Rouge Developbits

dan326

• 4 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

Some developbits

*Work continues on the widening of Jones Creek and O'Neal

*A shopping center is going up near the intersection of Coursey and Jones Creek

*The La Quinta on O'Neal has laid the plumbing down.

*I think I might have said this before, but there is a hotel going up by the Denham Springs Hampton Inn, I can't recognize what band it is though

Has anybody heard anything about the Homewood Suites they were putting up by the Hampton by Siegen? I know they laid the plumbing down for that one and stopped, which leads me to believe it will still get built but is on hold.

Some developbits

*Work continues on the widening of Jones Creek and O'Neal

*A shopping center is going up near the intersection of Coursey and Jones Creek

*The La Quinta on O'Neal has laid the plumbing down.

*I think I might have said this before, but there is a hotel going up by the Denham Springs Hampton Inn, I can't recognize what band it is though

Has anybody heard anything about the Homewood Suites they were putting up by the Hampton by Siegen? I know they laid the plumbing down for that one and stopped, which leads me to believe it will still get built but is on hold.

They have the pipes in place and foundation but have held off on continuing i'm sure until the economy picks back up. That was a very good location for Hilton so they will build it up eventually.. Even if they don't, it's better than the microtel or whatever it was situation off of 12 and Sherwood forest..

• 1 month later...

Hmmm, I suppose it's better then nothing, but still not the best. :ermm:

"Cortana adds eight retailers

Just in time for Black Friday, Cortana Mall has added eight new retailers. Three new stores are Take A Break, which sells convenience items, Elegant Jewelers and City Gear, which sells street wear. New kiosks and carts are All About Scents, which sells candles; Dead Sea Spa, which sells cosmetic creams; Perfect Brow Bar, which sells hair removal products; Love It!, a handbag cart and Mini Copter, which sells flying toys."

businessreport.com

• 2 weeks later...

"Cortana adds three stores

Three new stores are set to open in Cortana Mall by Tuesday. City Gear, a 3,100-square-foot store that sells urban apparel and footwear, is now open near Dillard's. This is the 25th store for City Gear, based in Tennessee. Elegant Jewelers is set to open Sunday, near J.C. Penney. Famous Labels will open Tuesday in a 15,000-square-foot space near Sears. The Las Vegas-based chain specializes in men's, women's and children's clothing, along with accessories. The company has about 40 locations across the U.S."

:ermm:

It's filling up at least.

Edited by dan326

• 1 month later...

The firm I work for is doing a build-out for a clothing store in the new Perkins Hardware development. I had the chance on Monday to go check it out, and I got a tour of the condos. The condos were pretty cool with modern high end finishes. The interstate was definitely noticeable, but they've used sound insulation through out the entire building which has reduced the noise to nothing more then background noise. Here is whats crazy though, they want 350K for those places, and they are only about 1200 sqft. I mean, they are nice, but they aren't worth that much especially because of their proximity to the interstate.

Anyway, I think the entire development is awesome and really exciting. I can't wait for more projects like this one to start popping up in the area!

• 2 weeks later...

That's cool buckett...the area is oozing with potential...it's something new urbanism could only hope to duplicate...it was new urbanism before there was new urbanism...a few years back Business Report had some idea's from LSU students about transforming the street scape...major improvements suggested...the renderings were never able to be located on the internet..they looked nice!

I should have started a thread on this many months back...plan to here when a get a few more minutes

• 1 month later...

Nice location...will they keep the original structure at the old dealership..or a build something new??

Saurage buys Mitsubishi site for $1.8 million

Hank Saurage has purchased the old BIG Mitsubishi dealership near Interstate 12 and Airline Highway for $1.8 million. Saurage’s commercial real estate firm had the listing for the six-acre site, which has been empty since October, when Gerry Lane Enterprises purchased the dealership and moved it to Reiger Road. Saurage says he bought the land because Robert and Deborah Levis, who owned the property, didn’t want to get involved in dividing the property and selling it out to other users. Plans are to redevelop the site and parcel it out for office and retail space. A local engineering firm already has a contract to buy the building that housed the auto dealership; Saurage says the sale should close by the end of the month. “They’re going to do a ton of improvements and operate it as a combination office-work area,” he says. There’s a lot of potential for the former auto dealership property, which contains plenty of parking and a lot of frontage along the interstate, Saurage says. “This is one of the last sizable tracts of land along I-12 in East Baton Rouge Parish that’s commercially zoned,”

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/daily-report/2010/mar/16/1521/

"Premium denim store coming to Perkins Road

The Denim Library, a store that will sell premium jeans and apparel for men and women, plans to open at the site of the old Perkins Road Hardware by mid-May. Kim Litel, who owns the boutique, says she got the idea for the Denim Library from some of the stores where she shopped in Dallas and Austin, Texas. Litel, a native of Baton Rouge, moved back to the Capital Region two years ago, after working in medical sales in Texas. “There’s a niche for this,” she says. Denim Library will carry such brands as Serfontaine, Dylan George, David Kahn and Taverniti. The boutique will be open next to Rock-N-Sake; Litel says she may stay open until 8 p.m. or 9 p.m. on Thursdays and Fridays to bring in some of the restaurant crowd. “We want it to be laid back so people feel comfortable going in here,” she says."

businessreport.com

• 1 month later...

Good to see the old vacant movie theatre location will be used for something..

Former Siegen Village theater sold to Safety Council

The Safety Council of the Louisiana Capital Area has purchased the former United Artists Siegen Village 10 movie theater and plans to demolish the building to make room for its headquarters. The council, a nonprofit that focuses on improving workplace safety with industrial and utility companies, paid $2.45 million for the 5.5-acre site at Interstate 10 and Siegen Lane. The demolition is scheduled to begin at the end of May, with the headquarters opening in a year to 18 months, says Melissa Sparks, vice president of the Safety Council. The organization currently is located on Siegen just south of the railroad overpass. The new building will have additional office and retail space. The headquarters will have multiple training labs and technology-enhanced classrooms, a member media library, a community child car-seat inspection and a fitting station and labs, where the group will design and develop web-based learning courses. Siegen Village had been closed since June 2007, a victim of the move toward larger theaters with stadium seating.

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/daily-report/2010/apr/20/1579/

• 2 months later...

They're building something at the intersection of Harrell's Ferry, Sharp, and Old Hammond. I think it might be a gas station with with one of those spiffy "convenience" stores.

Also the Raising Cane's by Cortana has started construction.

Saw they had cleared the trees over there...seems like the area could use a convenience store. There is alot of vacant land around the intersection...

It's going to be a Racetrack gas station with a convenience store.

As disappointing as that sounds, I can't really think of anything else that would work there that doesn't already exist nearby.

Saw they had cleared the trees over there...seems like the area could use a convenience store. There is alot of vacant land around the intersection...

It's going to be a Racetrack gas station with a convenience store.

As disappointing as that sounds, I can't really think of anything else that would work there that doesn't already exist nearby.

• 3 weeks later...

While, I think the gated aspect is kind of silly, I do still like that these are attractive infill houses. Matter a fact his is really great news because I don't think any single family residents have been built this far in town in a while, and though it may seem like its a step backwards, it can also be seen as the area becoming more desirable

Edited by dan326

• 3 months later...

This area is really taking off! Did not realize they recently annexed 500 acres...The map in article does not show Ben Hur Rd re-configuration; had no idea the sprawling Cottages of BR was hiding back there. Seems like Ben Hur north of Burbank could have replaced the bridge over Bayou Fountain..connecting with Highland Rd..take some strain off West Lee Drive right there??

Commission passes plan for LSU-area apartments

The East Baton Rouge Parish Planning and Zoning Commission on Monday approved the final development plan for The Woodlands of Baton Rouge, a 291-unit apartment complex geared toward LSU students.

Located along Ben Hur Road east of Nicholson Drive, the 22-acre project — which needs final approval from the Metro Council — would include more than a dozen buildings on 12 acres with the rest used as green space.

Charles Landry, the local attorney representing The Dovetail Companies, a national student housing developer from Athens, Ga., said The Woodlands would be contiguous with Capstone Development’s Cottages of Baton Rouge and would be made up mostly of three- and four-bedroom units geared toward graduate and undergraduate students.

Construction is scheduled to begin by the end of the year, though he did not know of a target opening date, other than to say such projects are usually timed to coincide with the beginning of the school year or semester.

The development was part of the Burbank University planned unit development and the 22-acre parcel was sold to Dovetail to build The Woodlands.

Landry said the development is part of the 500 acres recently annexed into the city limits

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/business/105231363.html