Baton Rouge Developbits

dan326

I think, is that people in North B.R. commit the kind of crimes that are discovered right away, while South B.R. residents perform in secrecy.

I'd say that some incidents are more likely to be recorded in south baton rouge than in north baton rouge. Baton Rouge Police Department is known for ignoring calls from student neighborhoods, so I can imagine that they don't show up north of Florida Blvd as often as they are needed.

Edited by brresident

Has there been any decision yet as to where the new Charity will be?

Howell Place has the room. It's clean, safe, and near the interstate. It's also on an intersection of two big highways that should be easy for emergency access. It's in Northern Baton Rouge.

Just a thought.

I passed through that area today. I noticed a bit housing development that wasn't there last time I passed. It was on the corner of Airline and Scenic. Is that a housing project? Lots of smaller houses really, really close together. They all looked very similar in design. It was a gated neighborhood.

Either way, more people in that neighborhood combined with more police protection should give the local retailers a boost.

Traffic on Airline is astounding. They should widen it to six lanes all the way to Plank Road. I have noticed that since they have widened Airline south of Florida Blvd, a some of the empty stores are being filled...places like Hammond Air and what not seem to be doing a little better (though that place was always crazy busy).

Anyways. I'd just like to see North Baton Rouge with some development. The Coca Cola plant is a start, but Howell Place is ideal for a Wal Mart, Charity Hospitol, and possibly a movie theater.

Edited by brresident

Has there been any decision yet as to where the new Charity will be?

Howell Place has the room. It's clean, safe, and near the interstate. It's also on an intersection of two big highways that should be easy for emergency access. It's in Northern Baton Rouge.

Just a thought.

I passed through that area today. I noticed a bit housing development that wasn't there last time I passed. It was on the corner of Airline and Scenic. Is that a housing project? Lots of smaller houses really, really close together. They all looked very similar in design. It was a gated neighborhood.

Either way, more people in that neighborhood combined with more police protection should give the local retailers a boost.

No Decision on the new EKL. A clinic is being built at the site of an old Kmart on Airline.

The new development you saw @ Airline and Scenic is not a housing project. They are single family housing.

I would rather see a SuperTarget @ Howell Place instead of Wal-Mart. We have far to many Wal-Marts and need some variety/competition for them in this market. Speaking of Howell Place, a new Subway restaurant has started construction and a SpringHill Suites Hotel should start work by year end.

First American Bank opening their first BR location on Jones Creek Road. The bank currently has locations in Gonzales and Donaldsonville but this will be their first in the city of BR. They've had locations between Baton Rouge and New Orleans but the population shifts caused by Katrina caused them to accelerate their plans to move into BR proper.

Are there still going to be a Courtyard and a FairField Marriott built up there? I had heard that those plans were going to the planning commission a whiles before the Springhill came into play.

Also an apartment/condo complex of several hundred(up to 800 I think) units will be going up there.

Edited by dan326

While it may very well be true, I think it's mainly said that Northern Baton Rouge is a haven for crime & drugs(crack&weed) because it is of a certain demographic. People mainly say that because they haven't mixed with other people and because that's all they show on the news. But does anybody say anything about the pedophiles and drug(cocaine&meth&alcohol) addicts that most likely dot South B.R.? The only difference I think, is that people in North B.R. commit the kind of crimes that are discovered right away, while South B.R. residents perform in secrecy.

OH I didn't mean any disrespect of any kind with my comment. I, myself, have no problems living next to anyone. Heck I did it when I lived in NOLA, I am very much used to it. But you know how others may feel about it. We just don't really see much of that kind of development going on in N.BR. I think it's wonderful, anything can help an area, I just hope that it is able to stay nice and not turn into a crime or drug haven.

No Decision on the new EKL. A clinic is being built at the site of an old Kmart on Airline.

The new development you saw @ Airline and Scenic is not a housing project. They are single family housing.

I would rather see a SuperTarget @ Howell Place instead of Wal-Mart. We have far to many Wal-Marts and need some variety/competition for them in this market. Speaking of Howell Place, a new Subway restaurant has started construction and a SpringHill Suites Hotel should start work by year end.

That's pretty cool about the housing. I saw them a while back and they seemed to be smaller production housing designs. I figured that since it came up so fast it must have been gov. subsidized.

Howell Place probably needs it's own thread. http://www.howellplace.com/

so far it has a number of big job centers.

-Coca Cola plant..not sure how many workers

-Wal Mart distribution center (regional base). Lots of good paying jobs, including fork lift operators, distribution managers, etc.

-Hilton Garden Inn Hotel

-outpatient medical clinic

-country diner

That sucks about EKL, though. Howell Place is a vast, safe location. It's big enough where they probably wouldn't have to build as tall (to save money). A good hospitol (EKL is pretty reputable) would likely spark a lot of minority owned business, including doctors offices. Of course where there is ambulances, there are lawyers. Then you have the retail sector which is not built out yet. Wal Mart has a large investment in that area, so I figured maybe they'd open a store, too.

What else could Howell Place use?

I'd like to see a retail center with a Wal Mart/Target, some student housing, and of course a new EKL. It appears to be zoned for medical, commercial, and distribution/industrial.

Exxon and all the other refineries out there use a lot of hotel rooms for business travelers. Where you have hotels, you start having demand for dining and entertainment (movie theater?).

Edited by cajun

Richard Preis is a visionary developer. He took the risk against all odds with Howell Place. He saw all the untapped potential(200-acres) for that type of development near the Airport, Southern U, and all the industry. Directly across from HP on Harding is the 50$mil. City-Parish telecommunications center. And La.State Public Safety training complex for Fed. State & Public officials plan to promote a multi-faceted training campus serving te Gulf coast states.

He will also build RiverPlace. If he can pull off Howell Place(and flourish), there is no doubt in my mind he will make RiverPlace as sucess as well.

Edited by richyb83

Let's hope he can pull of Riverplace. If it can't work, then he needs to downsize the plans or sell the site to someone else.

I'd rather it be another mid level office building than a vacant parking lot. Of course, there is demand for loft space downtown...so I am wondering why people are not buying into it as much. There must be a quality or blueprint problem with the individual units, or they must want too much for them.

We really need to start speaking up with our concerns and ideas about the new charity hospital. Sounds like Howell Place would make a great location. I wonder who we could write to about this. To me they are going about it all wrong. I just simply can not see leaving the residents of N.BR without a hospital. That is not smart growth if you ask me.

We really need to start speaking up with our concerns and ideas about the new charity hospital. Sounds like Howell Place would make a great location. I wonder who we could write to about this. To me they are going about it all wrong. I just simply can not see leaving the residents of N.BR without a hospital. That is not smart growth if you ask me.

If they really want a hospitol there, then the local people need to get together and build one. Why do you think BR general opened up another location on bluebonnet? It's because the people that work there wanted a hospital in their neighborhood. All those outpatient clinics all over Bluebonnet or Essen is there because that is where the owners and staff lives. Bluebonnet or Essen is not convinient for a lot of places...they were not trying to single out north baton rouge.

EKL is a not for profit research-charity complex. It has no reason to move anywhere except to where the employees want to work. Howell Place is really good spot because it's not far from the current location, medical clinics, and it's near two highways that may be able to aid in ambulance access to a larger land area. The two medical clinics in the area mean that there are doctors that work or live in the area, which bodes will for the Howell place location....but it's a long shot.

It will probably open up in a location where land is cheap, education benefits, or wherever LSU already owns land. Don't be surprised if it's off Burbank, Bluebonnet, or maybe even old south BR. It would be nice for Howell place, but don't get your hopes up.

Edited by cajun

Well without saying more than I should I know it's not going to be on Burbank, my partner works for the LSU Health Sciences Center, directly with the state hospitals. They have narrowed it down to 2 locations one of them is on Bluebonnet. Trust me when I tell you I have expressed my opinion on the locations other than in N. BR. I work for BR General and I know that the reason for them building the BB campus was not because that's where it's employees live and want to work. They have other motives for that campus. ;-) I am all in favor of the General partnering with the state and "donating" the Mid-City campus to the state for the new charity hospital. But until the BB campus can expand more that won't happen.

• 2 weeks later...

One tidbit to report. Someone had asked about Schlitz and Giggles. Construction work is going on inside as of this afternoon.

What ever happened across the street at the building with the coke sign? They had been working there, but I haven't seen any activity in several weeks?

Thanks for the info drew. I figured it could be anytime soon, but wasn't sure.

Good question as to what's going on at the corner of Florida at Third where the Coca-Cola sign is?? It's supposed to be really nice. I have an older pic from about 4 or 5 months ago with it being fenced-off ready to start the renovations. :dontknow:

A list of new/proposed Third Street venues is almost thread worthy.

• 3 weeks later...

Did the sign have a rendering?? Just wondering how many stories it might be?? The mention of elevators has me curious.

I was coming down Goodwood and there were a couple of signs, one was facing Goodwood and one was facing Lobdell. I didn't get a full view of the one facing Lobdell but it didn't appear to have a rendering.

No guys the signs do not have renderings on them. I think that is an ideal location for a development like that. I just hope that the structure looks like the rest of the area, kind of "old and charming" like the houses. I think something that is modern or contemporary in look will look out of place there.

According the the BR Business Report Daily-Report,

A group of New Orleans-area investors has purchased the Highland Crossing shopping center for $1.8 million. Rapp's Enterprises, made up of Margaret and George Tranchina, purchased the shopping center on Highland Road just east of Interstate 10 and in front of Home Depot. Highland Crossing will be anchored by Hello Sushi, which is set to open next week. The Tranchinas recently sold a building on Canal Street and invested the money in Highland Crossing.

:w00t: :w00t: The Boulevard, I saw it today and it was nice. :D

mlmw4.pngml1rn5.png

Drury Inns plans to open a hotel in Baton Rouge by the end of 2008, Alexis Nugent, a spokeswoman for the St. Louis chain said Monday.

Drury operates about 90 U.S. hotels, including ones in Lafayette and New Orleans. The company recently spent $2.9 million for property near Essen Lane and Interstate 10 for a 180-room hotel.