Baton Rouge Developbits

dan326

Do we really need another one of these? Lol, I guess the next location'll be downtown.

If its going to go in front of Bon Carre hopefully its in the same style.

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/business/article_26612560-f23b-11e6-889f-2fd7665d149f.html

Work set to begin on 8,000-plus square-foot Family Dollar store in Baton Rouge

Construction will begin in a week on an 8,320-square-foot Family Dollar store at 7070 Florida Blvd.

The store, just west of the Lobdell Boulevard intersection, is set to open by the end of July-early August, said an official with Kimble Development, the Baton Rouge company that is developing the site.

Family Dollar has 37 locations in metro Baton Rouge.
Edited by dan326

On 2/20/2017 at 5:01 PM, dan326 said:

The one on O'neal shut down.

I think it took about 10" in the flood.   That's a pretty good location right at I-12 and O'Neal, but it was also an older style Wendy's.  The chain seems to be rebuilding and refurbishing a lot of their stores.   They may have opted to just build a new location entirely at Millerville.  

If I had to guess about Millerville, the new intersection makes that spot valuable and the developer is building something with a tenant in mind.   Something like a Wendy's, Panda Express, Taco Bell or possibly a small strip building with a Starbucks and/or fast casual chain that doesn't need drive through windows like Moe's or 5 guys would go well there.   

Edited by cajun

I didn't know they were affected. Hmm, that's definitely possible because they cleared out a relatively large piece of land/pavement in front of Target. They also cleared the old BP/Texaco on Oneal and pulled up the fuel tanks. That leaves 3 spots of you include the Lone Star which didn't reopen. Hopefully something good comes, maybe a seafood place?

The Taco Bell on Oneal actually remodeled. That remodel was almost as fast as Lowe's, lol. It seemed like they closed down last week and now they're finished.

27 minutes ago, dan326 said:

I didn't know they were affected. Hmm, that's definitely possible because they cleared out a relatively large piece of land/pavement in front of Target. They also cleared the old BP/Texaco on Oneal and pulled up the fuel tanks. That leaves 3 spots of you include the Lone Star which didn't reopen. Hopefully something good comes, maybe a seafood place?

The Taco Bell on Oneal actually remodeled. That remodel was almost as fast as Lowe's, lol. It seemed like they closed down last week and now they're finished.

Not the same intersection, but the Picadilly on Range is also not reopening.   That chain's default status is "struggling" though.   I haven't seen them build a new location in 15 years at least.

5 hours ago, dan326 said:

^Which is ashame because Picadilly is good. Maybe if they tried an all you can eat concept that would help them revitalize the brand.

I thought that the chains like McCalister's or Jason's Deli was attracting the kind of customer that Picadilly should attract....but McCallister's actually shut down a lot of their locations recently too.   The casual restaurant chains like Chili's and Applebee's are taking a lot of their business too without necessarily providing superior product.

An avenue for them might be to go after these food service contracts for schools, prisons, hospitals, factories, and office parks.   They all have cafeterias and either service them "in house" or contract them out to some company other than Picadilly (which has a supply chain and service setup geared for cafeterias).  If they want to stick with restaurants, I think they need to focus on the lunch crowd and open locations in areas with a lot of businesses.  From there they can also boost their take out and maybe even start a delivery service in downtown locations.

But those are actual suggestions.   Picadilly doesn't change their business model regardless of how stale it gets.   It's been a very long time since I've seen them open a new location at all.  I actually think the Range Ave location was the newest in Baton Rouge.

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

Was not aware Wendy's on O'Neal Ln. would not open back up....

Well the ole' grand isolated Tinseltown Theatre in Siegen Village will remained shuttered a while longer...Main Event Entertainment may consider a different area of BR? Might the College/Corporate area at the old Esplanade Mall btwn Click's Billiards & Hooters??

Main Event Entertainment scraps plans for Siegen Lane facility
Edited by richyb83

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

BTW, anyone know what hotel they are building off Westport in Port Allen near LA415.    I think it's a Home2 by Hilton although it may not be a hotel at all.   It's a 4 or 5 story building right along I-10 near the old Evangeline Downs satellite building.

They cleared a huge piece of land and it looks like another larger hotel is going up adjacent to it on Office Park Dr.

Edited by cajun

^ Hadn't been to the west side of the river in a while...will keep my eyes open....Impressive how new hotels keep springing up in the area & continue to expand nation-wide.

Was wondering what was going on with Land-Clearing along I-12 btwn Millerville & O'Neal next to Lakeside Villas ;  storage  containers back of extra-long parking at AMC Cinema?? :shades:

LSU to move business, law schools to new campus in Ascension Parish

In an effort to retain and attract the very best and brightest, Louisiana State University announced Friday that they will be relocating the Ourso College of Business and the Herbert Law School to state of the art campuses in Prarieville.   

Nicholson-_Gateway-_Slider-_Renderings3.

LINK - The Baton Rouge Advocate

After 200 years, the city of Baton Rouge voluntarily dissolves city charter

"It's really for the best", said former mayor Kip Holden.   "There isn't enough competent people left in the city limits to run a government.  It's in the best interest of the handful of actual taxpayers left in Baton Rouge to eliminate this burden.".     

LINK - The Baton Rouge Advocate The Unincorporated Census Designated Area formerly known as Baton Rouge Advocate

Edited by cajun

On 3/30/2017 at 0:23 PM, Antrell Williams said:

Are you trying to tell me something Cajun...?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Top Golf passes on Baton Rouge, chooses New Roads for their newest location

"You couldn't pay us to open a location in Baton Rouge", said Top Golf founder Jose Cuervo.   "We decided to invest in an area with real potential and natural beauty".  

Top Golf and the city of New Roads provided a rendering of the proposed facility on False River Drive.

Nicholson-_Gateway-_Slider-_Renderings3.

LINK - Golf and Brew digest

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Loss of major petrochemical project to Texas reflects weakening business climate in Louisiana, industry officials say

https://www.businessreport.com/business/loss-major-petrochemical-project-texas-reflects-weakening-business-climate-louisiana-industry-officials-say-2

Louisiana Economic Development Secretary Don Pierson tried to put a good face on the disappointing announcement Wednesday that Louisiana lost out to Texas in landing the world’s largest ethane cracker plant, which is being developed by ExxonMobil Chemical Co. and Saudi Basic Industries Corp, or SABIC.

“We were a strong finalist,” Pierson said. “We are very proud of the case we made on behalf of our state.”

But business and industry leaders say that’s not good enough, and they question whether Gov. John Bel Edwards’ administration really understands the importance of economic development in the state.

I have major concerns that either Baton Rouge's leadership or state leadership even cares about economic growth.   It's been an unusually long time since a major economic win was announced in the region.    We have broken infrastructure, a mismanaged flood response, and two large cities that are completely and totally paralyzed by racially divisive politics.  

I want to see Baton Rouge become the next Atlanta.   I want to see the Baton Rouge-New Orleans - Northshore region become as competitive as the Dallas-Ft. Worth metro.    It just doesn't look like our leaders have what it takes to properly market the region or to make necessary changes in the tax code to attract businesses.  

Perhaps the people of Louisiana just don't care enough about this....and they are getting the government they deserve.   

Edited by cajun
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, cajun said:

I have major concerns that either Baton Rouge's leadership or state leadership even cares about economic growth.   It's been an unusually long time since a major economic win was announced in the region.    We have broken infrastructure, a mismanaged flood response, and two large cities that are completely and totally paralyzed by racially divisive politics.  

I want to see Baton Rouge become the next Atlanta.   I want to see the Baton Rouge-New Orleans - Northshore region become as competitive as the Dallas-Ft. Worth metro.    It just doesn't look like our leaders have what it takes to properly market the region or to make necessary changes in the tax code to attract businesses.  

Perhaps the people of Louisiana just don't care enough about this....and they are getting the government they deserve.   

I don't think we've ever agreed this much. 

Politicians do what their constituents allow them to do. 

• Like 1

I think the problem is a lack of alternative. Not only are we divided along traditional American lines of race and liberalism/conservatism, but our leaders are simply incompetent. 

On 4/21/2017 at 5:22 PM, cajun said:

I want to see Baton Rouge become the next Atlanta. 

Me too. And if we could reach Atlanta's international level of importance I would be one happy man.